Forum Rules and Guidelines

Discussion in 'Front Desk' started by Alex, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Alex

Alex Administrator Staff Member

I wanted to make a post to remind our users and visitors to the site about forum etiquette and behavior here at ETSG. While we try to keep an open mind and we try to keep things lighthearted we do need to keep things in line with the agreement everyone agrees to when signing up here and more specifically this section:

In addition to the standard forum settings the following restrictions apply:

• Topics relating to politics and religion, or of an adult nature, are not allowed. Posts along those lines will be removed.
    • Signatures are allowed but will be restricted to 150 characters in length, no big graphics and a maximum of three lines.
    • Avatars may be used but will not show any nudity. Any avatars deemed to be offensive will be removed.
    • Offensive or inflammatory posts will not be tolerated and will be removed.
    • Each member is allowed only one screen name. Multiple screen names are not allowed except under explicit approval from the Administrator. Violation of this will result in being banned from the forum.

As a general rule of thumb do unto others as you would have them do unto you. If you are typing up a response you feel is clever and spiteful, rethink your post.

Any behavior that is deemed detrimental to the Forum or its members may result in a temporary or permanent ban. The first occurrence will result in a 3 day suspension, the second occurrence will result in a 5 day suspension and the 3rd occurrence will result in a permanent ban from the Forum.

As issues occur, this list may need to be amended.

2. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

Thank you Alex

Thank you Alex for stating what we all need to be mindful of. These guidelines will serve to insure our forum remains a friendly and positive experience for us members as well as our following these guidelines will keep this site a shining example that can be respected and looked to for constructive and uplifting reading by anyone who chooses to read its pages. I truly appreciate you taking the time to lay out such policy and word it with the thought you obviously put into it.

Alex likes this.
  3. Alex_SG

Alex_SG Well-Known Member

I was just thinking... A while back we had a spate of spammers invade our little forum. Perhaps, like some other forums, the first 5 posts of all members should be checked by a moderator before publication on the forum? This would admittedly be a little more time consuming for the moderators, but in the end would definitely stop these spammers from being able to post, which then requires the mods to find and delete their posts/membership... Just a thought...:)
    Have a nice day...

Biddlin and Relic61 like this.
  4. Alex

Alex Administrator Staff Member

Hey Alex,

Will look into adding something like that to lessen the spam around here.

Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Biddlin likes this.
  5. Relic61

:wave:Hi Alex, I truly am not trying to bust cajones with what I am about to bring up so when I say I'm at a loss over the 3 smileys per post, it is really not my intent to give you a hard time.:thumb: Maybe if I'm writing a one sentence comment or reply, more than 3 smileys could seem worthy of ridicule and more than an adequate amount but, if I am involved in a well thought out post which is being embellished by smiley emocons, the logic of a limitation of 3 escapes me? For instance, why not 4, 5 or only one? Why 3?:hmm:. As you can see, sometimes putting limitations on such things that are tools put here for our use can seem capricious and the actual number decided upon, arbitrary.

I have come to understand over the course of my life that just because I don't understand 'why' or may disagree with some 'rules', it doesn't negate the reasons why such 'rules' are needed. However, I have already used 3 emocon smileys and I am yet to get to the most difficult part of my post which is...:ohno: The part where I suggest that while rules are needed, to state that such things as a smiley will be regulated & limited to any number just seems picayune and like we are on our way to having to tip toe through the tulips.:h5: The first time somebody pointed out the limiting of smileys to 3 in a reply per post I actually thought they were bustin' my ballz.:wtf:

My personal guess to a probable answer to my quandary of a question is, if I may be so presumptuous as to anticipate your wisdom in reply, that such things are a suggestion and to be used as a guideline and that you have no plans for disciplining some badass for using too many smiley faces.:) If I am correct in that assumption I would simply like to suggest that instead of an arbitrarily decided number being established, that a cleverly worded suggestion to refrain from over-using emocons be put in its place.:hmm: It will make the forum seem less NAZI like (hopefully no offense) and more like a reminder that we are mature people who should act accordingly & keep our forum prestentable.

If there is no intent to discipline & correct people for using 4 smiley emocons instead of 3, then the placing of such rules in the guidelines is bogus, unbelievable, laughable and unnecessary.

If the forum really plans on taking action on people who use more than 3 emocons then maybe the whole smiley emocon idea should just be ditched if we are actually going to try to enforce such restrictions. Nobody likes being in a group that has this type of capricious rules/restrictions listed in the guidelines for use or to have the possibility of actually doing something wrong for using too many smiley faces in a post. It just comes across as an over regulated and oppressive forum to someone who may be reading this & not knowing any better.

As you can see, I used 8 smileys and all were used appropriately to augment & define the intent of my words & emotions. I could have used more but I felt I used enough to emphasize my point. Although over use may be annoying to some and seem childish to others, I just don't think this forum needs to be involved is such things or have the forum come across as or be known as the smiley regulators to anybody.

Thanks for you patience and understanding in this manner. I really do appreciate your tolerating me so well. Peace brother. B:wave: oops. (9) lol or:rofl:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  6. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

So basically we should all act as if we were face to face in the same room with each
    other, not like a bunch of wise a$$es hiding behind the anononimity of our screen names.

I totally agree.

ghostwolf likes this.
  7. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Sure, although I do think this is a civilized forum, compared to most.

And with my url links (which need updating) in my sig, who is anonymous?

8. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

I've always assumed that the smiley rule was a bandwidth issue,
    but I could be wrong.

For those who don't want to see animated smileys, and use Firefox,
    do this,

Disable animated GIFs. To do so, type about:config into the Firefox address bar. Look for the entry “image.animation_mode”, double-click it and set its value to “none” (no quotes).

9. Relic61

Now that makes sense and at least puts a plausible reason out there which washes away any other mis-perception about the number and if true could completely change someones attitude.

Internet explorer has the same option: go to Internet Options < Advanced < Multimedia unselect Play animations in webpages.

Sarge, in a quick unrelated, Do you own that SG Jr in the icon pic? And can you post for me a couple of bridge / tremolo low angle shots? I put the same Vibrato trem back on my 65 Melody Maker but have real issues with not having enough string angle going over the bridge. The bridge is bottomed out, the strings are still too high (for me) and the comb on the Vibrola is still too high. I think my neck angle is too low for this to work which explains why this came without any tremolo. Before I sell it off or do a neck reset (not likely) I would really appreciate a couple of pics from a similar trem that is working properly. I know that is asking alot but I would really appreciate being able to see your bridge height, Vibrola height and your angle of the strings where they go across your bridge. Thanks brother. Maybe you/we could start a proper thread where it would be appropriate & help others as well. or whatever you care to do if you can help me out. Mucho appreciatto.

10. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

re the smiley issue... I will just say that a long while ago we had some members that would add a string of maybe 20 or 30 animated smileys on their post and it was very annoying. I am not the rule maker here but for my part as an admin... I don't count smileys in a post per se... however is someone strings together 10 or 20 of them then I don't like that and usually start off by shooting them a friendly reminder. If that doesn't work, then we go from there. So relic.. if you post a few over more than the stated 3 smileys it is not a big deal long as you don't get carried away with it.

As others mentioned... compared to most guitar related forums, I think we have a great bunch of folks here and by and large everyone gets along great. I know I have come to the point that I really look forward to reading the posts from tons of the regulars on this forum!

11. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

This might be of some use, and I've added a picture, but my Jr is in a state of disrepair at the moment.

http://www.everythingsg.com/forum/gibson-sg/19127-gibson-sg-standard-maestro-problem.html

12. Relic61

yeah thanks Sarge. like I thought, I'm just not seeing enough neck angle so these strings run way to close to the body while being unable to get close enough to the frets or to allow a Vibrola to work properly. This must have had a reset neck when they did that refin oh so long ago, way before my time with her. My last option is to find a low profile bridge and just make it a playable hardtail. With NO VIBROLA!:(

13. chris z

chris z New Member

how do you upload a comment?