Foxrox Octron 3

Discussion in 'Effects' started by plankton, May 14, 2018.

1. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

I've always been a fan of octave effects. I remember first hearing a Boss OC-2 when I was like 14 and I just had to have that sound. There was a bit of a learning curve when I found out about "tracking" (I was primarily a power chord guy at the time).

After getting back into guitar after 25 years away, one of the first pedals I wanted was another octaver. After a bit of research I settled on a TC Electronics Sub N Up as it offered a lot of versatility having an octave up and both one and two down, plus the whole Toneprint thing. It was a nice pedal, but it's sounds never really inspired me, too "digital" and sterile, plus I found I didn't really use the sub octave or the Toneprint option.

One day a few weeks ago I stumbled onto the Foxrox on Ebay, not actually really looking for an octave pedal. I had never heard of them and did a bit of reading and listening to clips, and was quite intrigued by what I read and heard. It was an auction so I waited till there was about ten minutes left and set my maximum price. There was a bit of a flurry but I got it (without going over my max bid).

I've been playing around with it for a few days now and all the good things I read about this pedal are completely true. It's everything the TC wasn't. It's inspiring me in so many ways. It loves to have some fuzz and wah mixed with it too.

The low octave is so organic and rich, reminds a bit of that OC-2 from my youth, but even better! The upper octave is what really surprised me though. It's incredibly musical and just makes every guitar I put though it sing and wail, throw in some wah and it's ridiculously good.

If you're the kind of person who enjoys octave effects or are just looking for some new inspiration and aren't afraid to experiment, I would highly recommend this fine piece of kit. :dude:

As a bonus, I sold the TC pedal a few days later for the same price I paid for it new. :cheers:

20180514_164615 (571x800).jpg

syscokid likes this.
  2. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

Back in the day I bought one of these ..

[​IMG]

It had sub octave, octave above & plain guitar & some other stuff that could blow your mind.

I believe Jimmy Paige used one of these on his lead for 'Fool in the Rain'.

I still have this old beast but I lost the upper octave years ago & she just isn't the same. Priced em on ebay & they are excessively expensive. I guess I should crack it open & test some components...

3. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

I have no idea what it looks like inside, but it should have a bunch of electrolytic capacitors. Maybe one of them, or more, have dried up. A couple times now, I've been able to revive 30+ year old pedals by finding and replacing these e-caps.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    Relic61 likes this.
  4. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

Nice review on a very interesting octave pedal. Sounds like you have tried others. Have you tried the EH Micro Pog? Can you compare the two?

5. plankton

I haven't tried the Micro POG, sorry. I've only ever owned the three octave pedals I mentioned above. When I was shopping around before buying the TC, the EHX Pitch Fork was an interesting contender but I couldn't find one locally to try. It seems that an analog octave pedal is the sound I really like, and now that I have the Foxrox I don't think I'll ever own another.

syscokid likes this.
  6. plankton

I'd heard that it was an MXR Blue Box, but who knows what's true when it comes to musical folklore.

7. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

I'm only basing it on the time period & the sound characteristics & artifacts that the Electro Harmonics unit produces. That fizz & sometimes shaky on-off sub octave (tracking) are just soo similar. But of course it could be something else from the same time period & technology. Forgive me but I did ass-u-me.