Fret Buzz on New G400 Pro

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by Allen, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Allen

Allen New Member

Got a new 400 and it was setup perfect when I first took out of the box but after 3-4 days started getting fret buzz on E/A strings from the 4 fret and higher. Changed the strings, helped a little but now buzz is back. I figured the humidity/environment change may of affected the neck so adjusted the truss rod about a 1/2 to 3/4 turn but that didn't help either. Has anybody experienced this with a new 400? I've adjusted FR guitars so I am not afraid of doing it myself but this is my first new guitar. Is it normal for the neck to need adjustment like this? Do I just need to put a couple of more turns on the truss rod or should I raise up the bridge? I bought it online so I would have to stop it back for them to adjust it. Will Epi take it back and adjust it for me and pay for shipping?

2. plankton

plankton Active Member

It's normal for the neck to need an adjustment now and then as climatic conditions change.

Getting the neck where you want it is usually the first step in a setup. There's a few different methods but I prefer the one where you put a capo on the first fret then fret the low E string at the 15th fret and check the clearance at the 7th. Have a look online there's heaps of tutorials.

After you have the neck where you want it set the string height and intonation.

3. Allen

Allen New Member

Cool, thanks. Glad that is all it is then I will adjust more then.

4. Norlin SG

Norlin SG Active Member

Plankton said it a lot better than me

What I originally posted is below.
    • Are you turning the truss rod nut in the right direction?
    • How are you checking for proper relief You might not be checking the neck relief correctly.

Check out this Vid. https://www.cyberfret.com/guitar-maintenance/guitar-neck-adjustment/
    You HAVE TO check relief as you go when you adjust the truss rod, you just don't start cranking down on the adjusting nut. Your buzzing could be because you have the adjusting nut to tight.

Neck relief and bridge height go hand in hand to prevent buzz.
    Once you have the relief set correctly, then you would set the bridge height. If you have both of those items correct and still have buzzing then your problem is something else.

No, EPI will not pay for shipping and adjust the relief for free because set-up is normal maintenance. That is why buying a guitar on line is a bad idea. When you buy from an actual store, they will do a preliminary set-up for you and also you would have a place to go to if you have issues with your purchase.

Check out this thread:
    http://www.everythingsg.com/threads/getting-your-sg-set-up.33795/#post-495201

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    rotorhead and plankton like this.
  5. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

OR ...
    I'm shure there are several good luthiers in the Jacksonville area. Bring it to one and ask to be there when he sets it up. You might learn a few tricks and you'll have your G400 at it's best when you leave. You can also ask him how to cope with weather changes in the future.

plankton likes this.
  6. Norlin SG

Norlin SG Active Member

I really like DrBGood's post. Everyone should have a good relationship with a competent Luthier. Especially if you are kinda vague on doing this stuff. :thumb:

rotorhead likes this.
  7. Allen

Allen New Member

Thanks everyone...excellent advice. I will check out the post about set up and give that a shot. Appreciate it very much.

8. Allen

Allen New Member

9. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

I'm in Jax a lot but sorry to say I don't know of a good independent luthier offhand. The guys at George's Music (Musicians Superstore) on Blanding do well, though.

The guy who sets my stuff up is in Lake City. PM if you would like the info. He did the work setting up my SG a few weeks ago.

Best of luck :smile: