From 70 SG Standard to '73 SG Standard, a timeline

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Kris Ford, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

The early '70's SGs are probably the hardest to track accurately..but after quite a bit of research and seeing NUMEROUS examples..I've put together a time line to
    try to nail it down..and dispel some errors used when dating them..these examples are 100% legit and are the correct years and models for the years they are under..I'm using some of our member's fine SGs as examples, so thank you very much for posting such nice examples! This is part one of what I got..interesting to note the change in bridge from ABR-1 Tuneomatic to Schaller harmonica type on the '72 Standards..
    1970 SG STANDARD
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1971 SG STANDARD
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    1971 SG DELUXE

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    1972 SG DELUXE
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    1972 SG STANDARD (version 1)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1972 SG STANDARD (version 2)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1973 SG STANDARD
    [​IMG]
    More to come!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  2. Guitarguy 1962

Guitarguy 1962 New Member

Great reference, Kris. The pictures do a good job of illustrating the change in the beveling of the horns after 72, as well as the change from witch hat knobs to the 70s style speed knobs.

Kris Ford likes this.
  3. Lhvr

Lhvr Active Member

Great post!

Kris Ford likes this.
  4. 58pit

58pit Well-Known Member

Good work man! Those pics say a lot! Some wonderful info. That last one looks just like my brothers '73, LOL.

Kris Ford likes this.
  5. FREE SG

FREE SG Member

It is my 73...he asked me if he could use some of my pictures....so tonight i will take more....had to charge my good camera...haha

Thanks Kris for all the info!! I will help any way i can!!

This website gets better everyday!!!!!! thanks for everyones hard work!!!!

58pit and Kris Ford like this.
  6. Kris Ford

Thanks guys! Still seriously researching the possibilty of a REAL '72 Standard that has all of the '73 features..but it seems to me that they are aleays '73s..the earliest '73 Standard I've seen SO FAR had pot codes that were week 51 of '72...and that tells me there was no way it could've been completed and sold as a '72..also seems that some folks see the '72 number on the pots and just go with that as the year of the guitar..regardless if it is super late in the year...

FREE SG likes this.
  7. Kris Ford

Nice story of my1972 SG Standard (Deluxe) - Gibson Guitar Board
    THIS got my attention..'73 Specs...guy bought in '73, supposingly all original..but has Gibson embossed pickup covers...a '72 feature...would LOVE to see the pot codes on this one..
    So I'm thinking this..either leftover pickups from '72, '72 pickups swapped in by someone else before guy bought it, or reluctantly even, possibly one of the first '73s made from some '72 parts..but still not convinced it's a full on '72..
    Again, pot codes don't lie! Unless they were replaced..but someone would really being going the extra mile to swap in earlier pots...
    Already today, I have counted and researched 27 so called "1972 SG Standards"..EVERY one of them has at least, from what I can read that is not solder covered, has super late '72 pots, like from weeks 49-52...and all say such BS like, "It's a '72, according to pot codes"..but never mention the week..
    This is where I have a problem..from what I've learned from reliable sources, there was a 5-8 week lead time from the time the date was stamped on the pot casing, assembled, inspected, packed, shipped ,then received by Gibson, unpacked, put into inventory, tested, released to shop floor,built into a wiring harness, tested again, then installed into a guitar which it's self took a couple weeks to ship...
    So until I see 100% legit proof with my own eyes,(not just a serial number, as those are totally unreliable and not accurate..I wanna see ORIGINAL pot codes that are early enough for the guitar to be completed in '72) and believe me, I've been looking, a '73 spec Standard that was completed and sold in 1972 AS a 1972..then I will remain skeptical.
    Still would call the one above possibly one of the earliest '73s..but not a '72, even with those embossed pickups covers...:hmm:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  8. Kris Ford

Just got mind blown a lil!

Gibson SG Standard 1972
    Damn! Another super rare oddity!! Despite the somewhat laughable inaccurate description, this looks like 100% legit Version 2 '72 Standard with an unbound ebony fretboard! Let's call this Version 3...WOW! Seems also that most of the '73 features crept in gradually from the Deluxe body style..not the other way around..but am pretty sure the resigned neck joint happened with the '73 spec changes, as did the pickguard... So now I have to wonder if there is yet another piece of the puzzle out there..I'm a lookin' for it!

FREE SG likes this.
  9. Kris Ford

10. alexander paul

alexander paul Well-Known Member

my sg which my "parents" bought for me in december of 72 is a dead ringer of the 73 sg picture before i heavily modified it. it didn't even leave victors music in nj with a white togle switch knob, snagged a black one there for 10 cents. caps from a friends neckless/smashed early 60's melodymaker & not the whole gears but just the knob/grip from my brothers les paul recording in 73ish. dimarzio pickups from guitar trader in redbank nj about 74ish, kahler whammy 84/5. etc... when a leaf spring broke in the toggle switch i only replaced the 1 spring, not the switch. the serial # is 752082 & the 3 pots i can see are 36-wd 500, 43-wd 500 & 65-wd 500, hope this information is of any use. still has the original strings (just kidding)!

Last edited: May 8, 2014
    Kris Ford likes this.
  11. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Why does the 1970 example have less cutaway beveling than the '71?

Kris Ford likes this.
  12. Kris Ford

Guess it all depended on who was running the sander that day..so many variances even between the same years..

13. PermissionToLand

Makes sense. I've never seen bevels that shallow before. Kinda cool in a way.

14. Kris Ford

BAM!1972 Gibson SG Standard Excellent Rock Guitar with OHSC | eBay
    Version 2 '72 Standard..THIS is a REAL '72 Standard...not all these '73s with week 50 pots that people are trying to pass off for more $$$...:slap:
    Like forum brother Patsanger's...this is a RARE and important piece of the puzzle..I can almost see why someone may think their '73 is one of these, but the lack of cutaway bevels is the key here..would still love to see a TRUE '72 Standard with ALL '73 features, that was MADE, SHIPPED, and SOLD as a '72 model, in 1972..til then, I for one am convinced that it's either the Version 1 or 2 like this one that are the only true '72 Standards...

15. Kris Ford

Really hate to quote myself, as I think it's pretty douche baggy LOL..but this is really a '74 as the bridge pickup is further back..My bad guys..:( ) I posted that from my phone..and just looked at it closer on my big monitor..me dumb..)

16. Ron Featherston

Ron Featherston New Member

Old thread here but here is my 1972 (I think) Standard with pots dated the 42nd week of 1971. I wonder how many of these were made.

Attached Files:

SG standard and PermissionToLand like this.
  17. Ron Featherston

Ron Featherston New Member

I got a reply from Gibson that there were 1009 SG Standards delivered in 1972 even though they were not listed in the catalog for that year. They reintroduced the Standard in 1973.

syscokid and PermissionToLand like this.
  18. PermissionToLand

I'm surprised they have a record at all.

Was it refinished?

19. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

arise from the dead, O Thread...

There is one thing that's true: Lots of great informantion in the archives here.
    Kris Ford really knows about '70s SG and probably other Gibsons as well.
    He doesn't post here any more, but his information is always accurate, or
    close to it.

Those are some excellent photos. they really show the detail, and the
    changes in this murky and misunderstood period of Gibson under the Norlin boot.

Numerous posts are made concerning SGs from this time period...
    which is before many of our members were born. I think it's because the '70s
    SGs are about the only 'vintage' SGs most regular guitar players would ever
    see, let along have a chance to buy.

Interesting to see this again.

20. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

They may not have been in the catalog, but they certainly were reintroduced during that year, as those numbers attest. According to Bacon's SG book, Gibson sold off the '71' style during '72 and reintroduced the Standard & Special models at the same time. He also lists the 1009 production figure for '72. Production figures seem to range between two & three thousand per year during the decade, until '79 when only 1073 were made.

It's interesting to see those figure in the context of Gibson 'limited edition' models, which can run to production numbers over 1,000. :)