From purely a "players" perspective, is a standard "worth" it?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Silverman, Feb 28, 2020.

1. NiteGoat

NiteGoat New Member

Just because you feel regret for purchasing what you consider to be a lesser guitar first, does not mean that is the case for everyone else. I buy guitars with which I fall in love, not for their appearance and/or price. Of course looks are the first thing that draws someone to a particular guitar. But if that guitar doesn't speak to you, it doesn't matter how it looks. Some of my guitars I got lucky, and found ones which not only spoke to me, but were also of the appearance which I liked best. But it never comes down solely to appearance with me. I must love the tone and playability, or I will not buy. I regret none of my guitar purchases.

Biddlin likes this.
  2. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

As I said, you're unique.

I bought an Epi SG for $450. I liked it, it was a good guitar...but it made me want to get the big brother Gibson SG Standard. Which I did. Once I had the Gibson SG in my hands I saw there was no reason to keep the Epi SG, so I sold it for $250...that put me at a $200 loss.

Darn right I regret buying the Epi SG.

Dagger likes this.
  3. Gibbo SG

Gibbo SG Active Member

The way I look at it is this: when it's dark onstage, I need to see where the pickups are and where the frets are. On a stripped-down, base-coupe SG, the pickups are black and the fretboard markers are small, and so with those guitars, you're at a disadvantage under situations of low lighting.
    Also, and I've read this here, that Gibson hem and haw, they drag their feet and pretend to be doing customers a favor when doing warranty work on the cheaper models. They also do this to a lesser degree with the more elaborate models.

4. Gibbo SG

Gibbo SG Active Member

So, they're great if you don't play out and can fix everything yourself . I say, go for it. They should sell the cheaper SG's in kit form so that they don't have to be bothered with warranty work. I own a cheaper SG Special. It's a fine sounding guitar.
    Look at it another way, the Flying V and Explorer from the 1950's, the famous 1950's Fender guitars and basses, the famous classical guitars and the hallowed Stradivari violins , these have no fretboard or body binding. They cost A LOT.
    Never think that your guitar is somehow "less than" for want of bindings or heavy inlay work. It is not. Less of that means more wood. Rejoice!

5. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Like Wilde's cynic, you know the price of everything...:io:

RhinestoneStrat likes this.
  6. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Those who can read might see the words “Personally i think” but reading is sometimes a lost skill.

7. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I read it all just fine, thanks. Personally is the only way I think but I have read some recent stuff on thought control experiments that could explain a lot of things.
    BTW, did you read the instructions or just push the button and get frustrated? :D

8. SGNovice

SGNovice New Member

I'm not sure about the older Faded SG's, but whatever finish they used on the 2018 model was no good for me. When I played it shirtless and sweaty, the sweat penetrated into the unfilled wood and the finish began rubbing off onto my stomach (it was like a tanish brown). I'll see if I can take a picture tonight and upload it so you can see what i'm talking about, but you can see all on the back of my SG little dots (the unfilled grain parts) where the sweat washed away the finish.

Not sure if this would happen on the Nitro finish of the standard, but this is just my experience with them. Worth noting, the finish would have been fine if I wasn't such a sweaty shirtless mess. But it happened FAST - I only had the guitar a month or so when this happened. Since then, I've always put a shirt on before playing, and it hasn't gotten worse.

Edit: For the money, i'd buy the Faded again, but thats at the old prices. I got it for $650 new at Sam Ash when the 2019's came out. These days, the "Tribute" is $1100 i think. So, comparing those prices (1100 to 1500), I'd get a standard. Comparing used or old model prices (600/700ish to 1500), I'd go for the Faded.

9. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Well-Known Member

I've owned many high end and very fast cars. I've owned a Porsche, a highly modified Dodge Charger, a BMW, a GT4 race car. I drive a Kia Soul. For every day use you need a tool that does the job. High end sport cars are useless for daily drivers. My Kia Soul is awesome as a daily driver. It is the same with guitars for me. I currently own and have owned a few very expensive instruments. They don't get used much and rarely leave the house. My SG Special, Squier Telecaster, and Epiphone Dot get way more play and often leave the house.

Col Mustard and gball like this.
  10. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Yeah, but you never owned a Ferrari. My post said, "Nobody on Earth buys a Ferrari and then desires and buys a KIA."

:D

11. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

There's nothing quite like that 12 cylinder roar.
    1959 Ferrari Superamerica 400 coupe.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
    skelt101 likes this.
  12. Neil from Ottawa Canada

Neil from Ottawa Canada Member

I've had a cheap SG copy and now a standard. I have other, expensive, guitars and really cheap ones, plus some middle of the road ones. To say "you'll always regreat getting a cheap verson", of course can be very true, if you find yourself in possession of a dud. However, experience has taught me that a low-end guitar can be a lifelong keeper. So let's be careful and considerate in what we say. Post things you have lots of experience with.

13. skelt101

skelt101 Active Member

I prefer the 410, myself.
    ferarri-410-superamerica-1-thumb-960xauto-75032.jpg

Biddlin likes this.
  14. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Jeez, I have never seen that car before. Wow, it is gorgeous.
    (And please let's not start that debate about how we know what is gorgeous or not.)

What is the year and exact model of that beauty?

15. gball

gball Well-Known Member

I have a Porsche in the garage that I play with on weekends. My daily driver is a Subaru Impreza. The only common ground is the horizontally-opposed engine. I don't feel like I am missing a thing on the sub 4-mile city route to work.

As for the guitars, when I was still leaving the house with them I was as likely to take an expensive one as a new one but I really only just took what I thought would be fun to play that day. Now that I am just a stay-at-home player I guess it doesn't matter at all.

16. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Yeah i posted several times on my experiences here.

17. skelt101

skelt101 Active Member

Just to be clear, it's not mine! According to Sotheby's, it is a 1959 Ferrari 410 Superamerica Series III Coupe by Pinin Farina that sold for a cool $5.335 mil in 2017. More info here:
    https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/...erica-series-iii-coupe-by-pinin-farina/430391

18. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

19. RhinestoneStrat

RhinestoneStrat Active Member

Your SG Specials are very special Bo Biddlin.;>)/

[​IMG]

Biddlin likes this.
  20. El Marin

El Marin Active Member

Madrid, Spain, EU, Earth, Solar system, Milky way
    I did that, sold a '72 Deluxe and a 90's Goldtop and got a 2018 Classic Plus P90s, thew first sold for 4500€, the second for 2500€ and I got the 2018 for 1000€... I am a pub and bar player and need Battle instruments

Regarding the SG I own a Standard... the difference in money is not that big. You can get a second hand for 700 or 800€ with a case here in Spain. Specials and fadeds are aroung 500€... played many fadeds and specials.... get the standard. Is forever. If you get a "lower" you will always have the itch

On the same way I tried a white three pickups custom SG... I did't liked it... I mean too mucho money for so small difference

Col Mustard likes this.