From purely a "players" perspective, is a standard "worth" it?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Silverman, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

well said...
    the SG is a battle instrument IMHO...
    and of course some other guitars.

El Marin and arcticsg like this.
  2. S.Ustain

S.Ustain Active Member

There's no answer to this question. We don't all use the same criteria in making choices, so it's pointless to argue. For some, a really playable guitar and more cash in the bank is a terrific result. For others, something that has a look or feel that inspires you is worth some bucks. Nobody's more right or wrong. I find that the differences that count for me, personally, are playability (not even pickups) first and foremost, and quality of materials. I find that with SGs, particularly, this is all over the map. I've seen beautiful specials and standards, and I've seen standards made out of really low-grade wood. Ditto fretboards. So I am unable to generalize. I will say, for sure, that for SGs, older is better in terms of materials. I have a '87 Reissue '61 Les Paul/SG Custom where the ebony board is unlike anything being used today; the pearl blocks, ditto. The binding and nibs show why a guitar with these features can feel great to play; current production is very rough in contrast. Though not a Custom Shop guitar when made -- there was no CS -- it has that quality because it was made when materials and workmanship (Gibson ws re-establishing itself after Norlin) were at a high point. It's great because of those factors, not because it's a fancy model. Ditto for Standards. There are some that I would certainly not pay full freight for, and some that are worth it. I've seen Specials that are impeccable. I've seen some with crap fretboards and crap wood/finish. Older ones, used, are generally pretty good, IMO; new ones have been a dice roll, but I think the "new" Gibson is trying hard to nail them again.

3. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

yes and we don't have to think of a thread like this as an argument.
    I believe that the OP asked for opinions and Voice of Experience...
    ...and those are in ample supply on these boards.
    IMHO all are equally valid.

Any of us can express an opinion.... perhaps in conflict with some other
    opinion. But nobody needs to press the point. The OP and anyone else
    who is interested in the collective wisdom of all our members ...
    is perfectly capable of making up their own mind.

So IMHO we only need express our opinion once, and then let others
    read and consider, and then decide which opinions seem to nail the
    issue for them. IMHO, that's freedom.

Because it's like Sustain says: we don't all use the same criteria to judge
    guitars. For me, that's what makes this forum interesting. If we all went
    with the same notions, this would be a boring place.

so, rock on comrades...

Kerry Brown and Mimmo like this.
  4. Nortally

Nortally New Member

Two of my teles and two of my strats are partscasters, their value is personal. I designed 'em, wired 'em, the last two of them I've done some routing & set the neck, one I installed the 2-point bridge myself (with only 3 re-dos ;-) They're all players, and I love them. I don't care about Fender Custom Shop, and looking at a brand new guitar with relicing is like looking at a woman with an obvious boob job -- I hope it made someone happy, but it ain't for me.

When I decided to buy an SG, I wanted a player AND a collectible instrument. Yes, getting a Standard pushed the price up about $400. I've had it about a year and I love it. Never once have I picked it up and thought, "Damn, I wasted all that money on the trapezoids & binding."

koaguilds likes this.
  5. SatansGwitar

SatansGwitar Member

Don't feel bad I feel the same about my Strat, never a day do i or will i play Sabbath or ACDC on it, leave that for the SG's of course and if theres no SG around, i'll wait till i'm in the presence of one to play them. :smile:

NMA likes this.
  6. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Exactly this! I got the faded cuz I couldnt justify the extra cash for a standard, 15 years later I finally went for the standard and Im so happy for doing so! Unless you want multiple SGs save a little longer and get the standard. Although its a great guitar in its own right I havent touched the faded in almost 8 months! :yesway:

Nortally and NMA like this.
  7. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Beatles, Sabbath, AC/DC fan..doesn't matter. We are all loony when it comes to our playing.

8. Sootio

Sootio Well-Known Member