Fulltone OCD + Peavey Bandit = SS perfection

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by Clifdawg, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

Saturday, I went looking for OD pedals now that I've managed to sell off my Fender Mustang IV and get a Peavey Bandit. After trying a couple, the guy at GC (a good salesman and very knowledgeable guy, in fact) told me not to even bother with any others and go straight to the OCD. A $120 hand-wired pedal for a $130 Chinese solid state amp? You betcha. I tried it, fell in love with it, and bought it right then.

This thing works miracles. It has a "high-peak" and "low-peak" mode, which effectively makes this two OD pedals in one. On LP mode, with the gain down at 8 o'clock and the volume slightly up (this thing has oodles of boost), I get this sweaty, tweedy American honk that sounds just delightful. Flop it to HP mode, take the gain down to zero, and step on it on the lead channel, however, and this thing just adds tons of crystal clear, clean saturation to the lead channel with almost no noise or low-end flub. Of course, the drive knob can introduce a lot of distortion if you like, but this thing works best as a boost and to add some hair to a good clean channel.

I'm not usually a pedal guy, and I've had a few pedals and a few (less expensive) tube amps over time. Never liked what I got out of pedals, and I used to be an "amp-only" kind of guy. No more. The OCD and Bandit is pure tone heaven, and is my favorite rig I've ever owned. I would not mind one bit playing an entire set just with the amp and the OCD and Dunlop Crybaby - it really is that good.

[​IMG]

In fact, the only thing wrong with it is the egregious use of Comic Sans for the font. :rofl:

Westernrider likes this.
  2. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

Nice pedal,i got a Fulltone 69 pedal and it sounds awesome.i also bought the Fulltone wall wort power supply for mine for the pedal is a 9 volt positive tip.

3. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

I like the Fulltone OCDs. Hell... I like Fulltone anything! I have a version 3, and a v4 on the OCDs.

4. Clifdawg

Made a little demo of this combo. Sweet heavenly mother of tone, this thing sounds great.

eS.G. likes this.
  5. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOVE IT

6. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

Sounds good.
    What were the settings on your OCD when you switched it on in the video clip?

7. Clifdawg

Volume around 10 o'clock, Gain at nil (~8 o'clock), and tone at 3 o'clock, HP mode. It doesn't take much for the OCD to saturate already-crunchy preamp gain, especially on the HP setting. I usually keep the gain below 11 o'clock on the clean channel. I'm not particularly a fan of the way the OCD distorts above noon (at least, not with the Bandit) but as a straight OD, it's basically a "MORE BETTER" button to whatever tone you're working with.

syscokid likes this.
  8. Westernrider

Westernrider Active Member

Another Fulltone fan checking in,

That little up / down toggle switch is the Olympic gold for that pedal.

Until recently, I was running both a Fulldrive 2 [ think improved T/S with three eq curves and boost ] and an OCD. Running the FD 2 into the OCD is a tonal pleasure. You can set up a clean sound, clean or dirt with or without boost and run it into the OCD. Think thick ........

Seriously, the OCD is great and the Bandit, well, that's one of the best little SS amps around.

Clifdawg likes this.
  9. Robert Herndon

Robert Herndon Well-Known Member

Seems like a do everything pedal...

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  10. Robert Herndon

Robert Herndon Well-Known Member

I only used an OD pedal very early on in my career, using a 1984 DOD FX50 to drive my Traynor Bass Amp and 6X10 cabinet that I used.

After I switched to Marshalls in 1983, I never used an OD pedal again. I will say that Don Felder's live tone is largely due to this pedal as a fender twin Reverb doesn't have much grunt without it....

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016