G400 bridge upgrade

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by plankton, Feb 8, 2017.

1. plankton

plankton Active Member

I'm looking to upgrade the tune o matic on my G400 for better intonation and possibly increased sustain. I'm looking at Nashville styles from either Gotoh or Tonepros.

The Tonepros is almost twice as expensive. The only real difference I can see is that the Tonepros can be locked down on the studs. Are there any other differences?

What's your opinion, is the Tonepros worth the extra cash or will the Gotoh one work just as well and save me some money?

2. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

I have the TonePros LPCM02-C locking pre-notched Nashville bridge and tailpiece set (in a chrome finish) and I can say that I am happy with it. If you get in a different finish the suffix changes, e.g., TonePros LPCM02-B is the black set. Note that in my experience string spacing on the pre-notched sets is around 52mm and a closer match for F-spaced bridge pickups. They also offer sets that you have to have notched yourself. You can get this set for US$82.50 plus postage on eBay.

I haven't been able to try the Gotoh.

plankton likes this.
  3. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Biddlin likes this.
  4. JCarno

JCarno Active Member

I have Gotoh on my G400 and a couple Gibsons.
    I like their quality.
    Also have a couple sets of their locking tuners.
    Good luck!! :cheers:

plankton and Chubbles like this.
  5. Chubbles

Chubbles Active Member

+1 for Gotoh. Can't seem to find the model number, but it is an upgrade and not expensive at all.

plankton likes this.
  6. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

Must have been luck of the draw for me. I could get the intonation set right , but it wouldn't stay. Couldn't keep it in tune. What I discovered was, at least on mine, the saddles would actually shift/move. If I recall on mine the saddle screws had springs on them. Springs wouldn't hold them tight. Went with a Tonepro set and problem went away.

7. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I never got along with the OEM bridge on my '07. I ended up going with a roller bridge in anticipation of getting a B5 / Vibramate. My buddy and mentor @Dave Johnson drilled it for grub screws and turned it into a locking bridge.
    [​IMG]

eBay link

8. jjudas

jjudas Well-Known Member

I've got 3 SGs with Tune o matic bridges. They all intonate perfect. Sustain is great! I have no issues with my G400 or the other 2. It's a waste of money in my opinion if there is no issue.

Biddlin and DrBGood like this.
  9. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

I've never seen a factory supplied epiphone bridge that was even close to being slotted correctly.

They are ALL way way way too deep. You want 1/2 the string proud of the saddle slot. 99.9% of the factory slots are 6 to 20 times deeper than the string. This leads to binding and will choke out string vibrations at the bridge. So it's really difficult to evaluate the quality of an epiphone bridge.

Might be ok....but it's way easier to get a new bridge and slot those saddles properly than to grind down the saddles on the bridge Epi supplies.

plankton likes this.
  10. JCarno

JCarno Active Member

I'm not sure if I had intonation issues or not. It was a long time ago.
    My problem was that it had a wired abr that rattled. Drove me bananas trying to fix it.
    Do they still come with the wire on them?

11. DrBGood

WOW !
    I must have stumble on a factory defect Epi bridge then, because on my Vintage G400, the strings aren't buried in the slots at all, they're floating and produce a zillion metric tons of intonated breathing sustainability. My amps have a hard time dealing with all that gorgeous heavenly tonez.

So sorry about yours, I am so lucky !

jjudas and Biddlin like this.
  12. flatrockmobile

flatrockmobile Active Member

Tonepros vs Gotoh....based on what I've read, Tonepros ARE Gotoh bridges that have been modified for locking. Most folks that rave about TPs never mention the locking feature, just how well they intonate. Maybe they hold it better b/c of the locking. I have Gotohs on a couple of guitars and they are quality, rock solid stuff - as is. Oh yeah, and much cheaper.

plankton likes this.
  13. plankton

plankton Active Member

I'm a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" kind of guy, so yes there are issues I'm attempting to alleviate. The OEM bridge is the narrow style and the saddles on my low E and G strings are right at the back and still not quite right.
    There's also the depth of the saddles as another poster mentioned, they seem to be all cut at the same depth, so only the low E is sitting properly. A similar issue with the stock nut which I'll be getting fixed too.
    Sounds like the Gotoh is the way to go. Thanks!

14. Dave_Death

The locking feature in my experience really just stops the bridge and tailpiece falling off and scratching your paint when there are no strings on it (for cleaning etc). Otherwise I haven't seen a benefit

15. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

LOL! You're super lucky!

Mine was so crappy, a couple of the saddle screws were able to tip up and down! Wire "retained"! :rofl:

That $12 roller bridge is miles better than the stocker I got.

16. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

The only Epi bridge I had to swap out was on an ancient G-400 that had the tailpiece torqued down to the face and so the string tension crushed the bridge into straightness. I replaced the OEMs with rollers on all of my vibrato equipped guitars, but the other Epis remain pretty much stock.

17. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

The "G" saddle on the old one wiggles like a 5 year olds teeth! So much slop!

18. Dave_Death

Some people are really daft.

19. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

Dr b good. I'm guessing yours was already swapped. Otherwise yours was an anomaly of epic proportions.

each of the hundreds of epiphones I've personally handled had the seemingly identical and very uniform, dare I say "standard" deeply pre-slotted saddles.

plankton likes this.
  20. DrBGood

Oh, I'm not saying the high E is floating on the surface of its saddle, but it doesn't cause any problem. It is the original bridge with the retaining wire, and it sounds just fine. Maybe it could be problematic if I played the guitar unplugged, which I never do.