G400 Upgrade build thread..... Now with PICS!

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by Raiyn, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Well, Night One was long, somewhat frustrating and slightly painful.. Bear with me, I've been up since 8 AM Monday so this might get disjointed.

1.jpg
    The guest of honor.

Original-cavity.jpg
    Holy Chinese parts Batman! That has to be the single most half-assed application of shielding paint in the world.

control-holes.jpg
    Holes to ream.. Went pretty easy, I've got a Harbor Freight reamer I bought for this and a step drill bit with a 3/8" step that I used in a bit driver. I just used a washer from one of the new pots and taped the reamer of slightly behind that. I followed up with the step bit.

pups-out.jpg
    If it wasn't the same guitar I'd have spoken too soon about the shielding paint. I'll fix that crizzap.

Copper-pups.jpg
    The routing of the pup cavities was SUPER rough, but I managed.
    The pics where I show that I connected the cavities didn't turn out for crap. :facepalm:
    completed-cavity.jpg

I did go back and reflow a couple connections that look bad in this shot, this shot just turned out better than anything else. I was working on my axe, not playing Jimmy Olsen.

It's been quite a while since I've soldered anything so to get through it with a fully electrically functioning Triple Shot equipped guitar and only burn myself twice.... I'll take that.

My ancient Mullard Tropical Fish flaked like the Fish 'n' Chips of Sunday's dinner. Fortunately I had the Radio Shack Chiclets I bought in MN on hand. So a bit of home I guess.

I had a major problem with hum, which I'm chalking up to the fact that while I had done an excellent job of preventing ground loops and isolating the components from the shielding I had neglected to hook the pots to the common ground.
    :wow:
    I guess that was the problem.
    [​IMG]

By the way, it's so quiet now, I thought I'd screwed something up: until I tapped the pickups. :naughty:

Other things that were accomplished were:*
    • Removal of the plastic nut - (Super easy)
    • Started in on shaping of the new Tusq nut.
    • Removal of the licensed "Grover" tuners
    • Replacement Hipshot Lockers with Amber buttons installed (I'm in love with the UMP plates)
    * Photos will be taken on Night Two

Night Two seems to be installing the nut and and setup, so much less work for me - in theory.

If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go eat something and then......
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  2. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

Good work Raiyn.id discard that stock Epi Bridge when ya can to.Metric Gotoh Nashville is solid and not alot of money for the quality.

Col Mustard, 58pit and Raiyn like this.
  3. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

At least they didn't epoxy all the contact sides of the plastic nut... that would have been really funny!

Raiyn likes this.
  4. WavMixer

WavMixer Well-Known Member

Dayum, how much did they save by the super light coat of shielding paint? At least now you know it will be safe from slugs and snails.:thumb:

58pit, Raiyn and syscokid like this.
  5. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Been thinking about the brass stuff from Guitarfetish.

I'd have broken the headstock off. :(:(

No idea, it was in the "why'd they even bother" category. Now, it has proper shielding.

I just woke up so I'm not sure what I'm going to get done since "night" is basically in the books, and SWMBO will be home in the next couple hours, but once I get going, I'll see what I can accomplish.

6. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

That is a pretty awesome-tastic looking shielding job - yours, not the original!

Raiyn likes this.
  7. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Thank you, I appreciate the complement. I'm glad I popped for the conductive adhesive instead getting the "slug tape". There are a bunch of small patches and, for the control cavity especially, I used a bunch of 3/4" to inch wide strips (eyeballed) to follow the contour and connect to the floor. Soldering the seams or face folding the cheap stuff would have been a nightmare.

That thing coming off the Bridge Tone pot? (In case anyone was wondering)
    That's a piece of shield braid that has been flattened, bent, and tinned to provide the only point of electrical or physical contact between the components and the shield.

chilipeppermaniac likes this.
  8. RVA

RVA Well-Known Member

Nice work! When do we get the tone report?

Raiyn likes this.
  9. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

So she's all assembled and set up now.

Parts list: (Damn I wish these were sponsors....)
    • Carvin S22J (neck) S22B (bridge)
    • Seymour Duncan Triple Shot rings
    • CTS 525k 5% tolerance pots (Art of Tone)
    • Switchcraft 90° switch (with amber tip because F' yeah)
    • Switchcraft jack
    • Radio Shack Chiclet caps .022uf 10%
    • MIJ Wave Embossed silver speed knobs
    • Hipshot open backed locking tuners
    • Graphtech Black Tusq XL nut
    • Gavitt wire
    • some 18ga solid silver plated buss wire used for pot grounding and cavity connections
    • a bunch of 63/37 solder (I can't remember who tipped me of to that one but THANK YOU!
    • D'addario XL110BT strings (Balanced Tension)
    • The controls were insulated with homemade silicone tape washers (just so happens I have a 3/8" 3 hole punch)
    • She's had the DiMarzio Clip Lock strap for a while now (really happy there)
    • One super sweet custom truss rod cover (Artsy!)
    Ready to meet her? I did collages this time....

Headstock-collage.jpg
    She hasn't told me her name yet, but for a working title I'm going with "The Lady".
    She's already telling me what she wants; I had originally planned on using some amber pearlescent kidney shaped buttons, but she rejected them (headstock interference at the D&G tuners).

Finish-collage.jpg
    Installing the nut was interesting, I'm glad I decided to go with good ol' Titebond 50 rather than the Kraggle as I had to fiddle with the positioning. (Put on both E's - that helped me get it right)

I LOVE the knobs just so damn cool looking.

Putting the Triple Shot in the mix was was a huge pain in the ass. I'm sorta glad I did, but I don't know that I'd suggest it for a first build. Fitting the Carvins to the rings was almost an issue because they use three screws per p'up while the rest of the world uses 2 and a different threading that Epiphone :mad:. Next, you add in the different wiring color scheme and the fact that their p'ups are opposite polarity to again everyone else..... I digress, knowing now what I didn't know then I might have reconsidered it.

How does she sound? She WAILS! OMFG! That bridge p'up has a TON of output compared to the stock Epi bridge. I broke out the Peavey (since SWMBO was awake when I finished) and left it set where I'd been playing it last with the stock config HOLY CRAP! The neck is no slouch either! I should get with eSG or something, see what he thinks and get a proper tone report going. I haven't really played with the Triple Shot switches that much, I'm just happy she's fully functional.
    :dude::dude:

10. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

Nice job, Raiyn. Good to know those Carvin pups are working for ya.

I'm in LOVE:

Headstock-collage.jpg

RVA and Raiyn like this.
  11. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Yeah, me too.

12. Madmatt

Madmatt Active Member

Looking good man!

Raiyn likes this.
  13. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Thank you. :cheers:

One thing I didn't mention, I've had that truss rod cover since before my first day here, I've just kept it under wraps until I completed her.

RVA likes this.
  14. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Well-Known Member

Probably me. :)

15. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Actually, you're right. I do remember reading that post, bought the solder pretty much immediately thereafter.:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

[​IMG]

16. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Well-Known Member

Pardon me, but do you have the time to talk about Eutectic solder? :rofl:

Raiyn likes this.
  17. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I actually had 60/40 in my cart ready to go, so glad I happened to catch that post.

ScottMarlowe likes this.
  18. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

So now that I've completed the build, I'm left with a bunch of stock Epi parts.... Suggestions?

19. WavMixer

WavMixer Well-Known Member

Find a cheap project carcass to put them in.

20. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I was thinking of throwing them in the Trade Fodder thread. P'ups and all electronics as a package deal. If the right thing came along I'd throw in the tuners as sweetener, but I think those could bring a small something on their own.