Gator vs. Gorilla?

Discussion in 'General Music' started by fos1, Jan 25, 2019.

1. fos1

fos1 Member

I found out today that I am having to travel to a southwest (US) location for work next month. I will probably be gone for 30 days. I can't stay away from my SG that long!

After studying options on Amazon, I ordered a Gator TSA approved travel case. It received good reviews from a large number of users. Hopefully, my SG will survive the trip in one piece.

I also plan on taking a recently purchased Orange Micro Dark amplifier. I expect to use headphones in the hotel but may consider a small speaker from the local market if things work out.

I have never traveled with a guitar other than my personal vehicles.

Anything I should look out for?

Thanks, Jeff

2. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Well-Known Member

I had a Gator for an acoustic, it travelled well, but one of the latches was wonky, it didn't line up right and I had to Armstrong it into shape.

fos1 likes this.
  3. fos1

fos1 Member

Mine will be here Sunday. If it doesn't look like it will protect the SG well, I'l take my beater guitar. That way if the luggage gorillas throw it around it was be as big a loss....

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  4. fos1

fos1 Member

The Gator SG case arrived today. It is a closely fit interior. Too close. I had to cut away some of the firm interior protective foam in the area of the left cut away and horn. Messed up the interior but now it fits. Otherwise the case is well made and should protect my guitar on its travels.

The latches are plastic but work well. One of them has the TSA approved lock. I will see how they hold up to the baggage handler gorillas.

My baggage is ALWAYS inspected by the TSA. I should collect the cards they leave inside....

fos1

5. pedecamp

pedecamp Active Member

I wonder if you put it in a soft case and can keep it with you in your seat right between your knees.

6. fos1

fos1 Member

// in your seat right between your knees

"Carryons must fit completely beneath the seat in front of you or in the overhead bin...." I have heard that 100s of times. I have tried too many times to keep my back pack with me at my seat.

I should have been an airline steward person....

I am pretty sure the case will protect my SG well, the small places around the left horn are just mangled a little.

fos1

7. fos1

fos1 Member

After action report.

The Gator hard case did a great job protecting my no name SG. After a month of traveling in the mid west, the case came scratched, dented and scuffed but my guitar has no damage from the trip. The clasps, though made of plastic, took the wear and tear with no damage. The locking clasp is secure and works for the TSA inspectors. Though locked, the good inspectors left a note inside during a couple of flights indicating they had looked inside. (I guess they have a master key.)

Even though I had to modify the hard foam in one location to make it fit my guitar, it did a great job for a reasonable cost. ~$125.

fos1

Ray and Chubbles like this.
  8. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

fos1 likes this.
  9. fos1

fos1 Member

Very nice. I purchased the gator since it was TSA approved. Were the locks on this one accessible by TSA?

10. fos1

fos1 Member

Here is an ad copy photo of mine. It took quite a beating and came through...

Gator SG Case.jpg

11. PixMix

PixMix Active Member

I would put a couple of large "handle with care" stickers on the case, and you know this already, but loosen the strings on the guitar before the travel.

Last December I traveled to Europe, but with a Tele. I had in a Mono Sleeve, and they let me bring it as a carry on on two flights.

fos1 likes this.
  12. Chubbles

Chubbles Well-Known Member

In general, I really like Gator cases. Although, I never took one on an airplane. I'm glad it worked out!

fos1 likes this.
  13. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

I have had good luck so far getting Gator cases actually inside the cabin ( 3 out of 3 trips so far ).

I have used the approach of carrying it onto the plane and then with a huge worried smile ask airplane workers if they could fit in the cabin. "I can gate check if necessary but ... " then don't say another word.

If you are old and bald and tall this might work ... they often think that you might be someone that they might know if only you were not so old. ( Well I am just guessing on that part ).

Worst case it gets gate checked ...

14. fos1

fos1 Member

Not yet bald but definitely old. ;)

Unfortunately, some of the places I fly are only serviced by the small puddle jumpers. Not enough room in the cabin. If I am lucky, no more flying on the sardine cans....