Gibson “61” humbuckers

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by ChrisM84, Nov 24, 2018.

1. ChrisM84

ChrisM84 Member

Anyone know the story of these pickups? To my ear they are very close to the 57s, just more top end grit, not as dark sounding at the 57s. I’d like to say they are a recreation of the 60s T-Tops, as they are marketed as “period correct” on the ‘61 standard SG. Any insight is helpful!

2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

A search for “1961 Humbucker” will take you to the main site for the story.

3. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Hi, to me the 61s sound good. Theyre a little hotter than the 57 Classic, but not superhot. After what I know, the 61 has a lot of common with Burstbuckers, but I think they sound better ... I got a 2018 SG Standard on which I swapped the pu's. I replaced the bridge 61 with a BKP Riff Raff. To me, the Riff Raff opens up better, but these are nuances. Both pu's are good, but to me the Riff Raff sounds better of the two, though it's pretty close to the 61 IMO. I had some extra money when I got my new SG (which also was 20% off), but if I didnt have that money, I'd probably leave the bridge 61 where it was, and I'm sure I would've lived fine with that.

Yeah, get yourself a SG Standard 2018, they are super guitars! (They have the Grover Locking-tuners, which I absolutely love - not the robot-bullshit tuners)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018