Gibson 1977 T-top specs?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Ray, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Cool! Those clones sounds like worth checking out, too. With a T and all ...:D

Yeah, and a "Jimmy Page"-type sound is most def something I dig too:D

2. Semla

Semla Member

If you want a t-top "clone", buy yourself a set of 490R/T and swap the magnets to either short A5 or unoriented A5 (both are alnico 5 but will be a bit weaker), the 490 are essentially a t-top, but with A2 from factory.

Ray likes this.
  3. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

You can buy a set of boutique T-Top copies for less than a new 490R/T set from Gibson.

I have not tried either myself, but have heard good things about Manlius and Vineham.

4. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Hrmf!
    So I finally got my new Gibson pick up cover for this pickup, but - of course - the spacing on that *%&#* T-top is off compared to the cover ... :mad:

Uhh yeaaah ... Woke up this morning ... had this nightmare ... I was surrounded by Gibson purists, all of them nodding solemnly ...
    "Yes, yes, of course. Seventies Gibson pickups did have different spacings. And that, little turd, is Elementary Gibson Knowledge." :mad:

I can't return the cover, 'cause me being me, I had to give it a try to make it fit. But it seems that A LOT of nailfile-action/drilling is required to make that cover fit. I seriously doubt this is gonna look good ...:mad:

5. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

What is the spacing? I have a few spare covers lying about that I don't really need at the moment. If you measure the distance between the outside of the two outer pole screws, I'll see if I can find something that fits. I can't promise anything, though...

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    JCarno and Ray like this.
  6. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Hey, thats really nice of you, man! I'll buy you a beer next time you're in Oslo. :) I don't have the numbers here, but I will measure the spacing on the T-top as soon as I get home from work. All I know for sure right now is that on the T-top, the spacing is slightly shorter than on recent Gibson PAF-style pu's.

JCarno and Gahr like this.
  7. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Hm.. Kinda hard to get very accurate numbers here ... To me it seems like the spacing is slightly over 4 mm +, around 4.2 mm, maybe..? Seems like the spacing isn't equal the whole way, either.

On the last pic you see the mismatch clearly.
    20190227_073421.jpg rsz_20190226_152928.jpg rsz_20190226_153607.jpg

Gahr likes this.
  8. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

Hard to be sure from the photos, but it looks like your T-Top is 50mm spacing which makes sense, and your new cover is 52mm or "F" spaced.

Ray likes this.
  9. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

I think I might have what you need. I have a cover measuring 55 mm between the outer edges of the far holes. I guess that means it is 50 mm spacing cover (measured from center to center of the outer poles). It might be a little hard to tell from the picture, but still:
    [​IMG]

PM me your address and I'll mail it to you. Just make sure to buy some 7 Fjell Bryggeri the next time you want a beer!:cheers:

JCarno, plankton and Ray like this.
  10. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Aw, man, thats just so superkind and cool! Superduper thanks!:) :cheers: I promise I'll make sure 7 Fjell Bryggeri will notice a considerable boost in sales in Oslo!
    Så utrolig gemt gjort, mann! :) Måtte Duane Alltid Være Med Deg. ;)

JCarno, plankton and Gahr like this.
  11. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

You’re most welcome! It is in the mail as we speak. See ya in Oslo in April!

12. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Wow, det var kjapt! Thats just great, man!:) This T-top is gonna rock that Standard now! And yes indeed, hooking up in Oslo in April will be just very cool, man! :)
    And thanks again, man, this rocks!:D. :)

JCarno and Gahr like this.
  13. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

I basically live next door to a big red mailbox.:D