Gibson 57 classics vs 490t video comparison

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by sazista, Sep 11, 2017.

1. sazista

sazista Active Member

If you're wondering about differences, maybe this will help:

to me there is little to no difference, at least from the recording. I'm sure they have a different voice live.

2. pedecamp

pedecamp Active Member

No difference in that video, but in reality a huge difference, I couldn't wait to get the stock 490's out of my faded SG and replace them with 57C+ and 57C. The 490's were shrill in the bridge and muddy in the neck, I took them out over 10 years ago, I wish I still had them to see how I like them today.

3. dexspeed

dexspeed Active Member

Another one of these very subjective things. I personally really like the sound of the 490t/490r combo. I actually removed some DiMarzios out of the last SG I picked up to put in a new set of those as that's just what my ears prefer. Go figure.

Biddlin likes this.
  4. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I have examples of all the pickups involved in the video. With the exception of the 498, the difference between 490s and 57 classics is so subtle that it is difficult to quantify. 57s need a little more drive to break up. The 498 in my LPJ is shrill and harsh, compared to the other two. I would probably prefer a Dirtyfingers for the same drive with less harsh, but in fact, harsh is kind of a Les Paul staple. I find that playing P-90s almost as often as PAF clones, the PAFs all start to sound a little thin.

drown likes this.
  5. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

I'll have to listen to this when I get home, but my amp has these knobs that turn so I'm less selective about pickups unless the are really cheap.