Gibson Bass Question - re: wrongy to lefty...

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Bettyboo, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

Here in sunny Korea, there are not many options of guitar/bass and they're expensive. I've spotted an SG which seems nice, gets good reviews and has a nice Gibson case and seems to be a decent price, but I have a few questions for the knowledgeable folk.

It costs $795 BTW. http://www.buzzbee.co.kr/shop/goods/goods_view.php?goodsno=17008&category=003001012

Gibson USA 2014 SG Special Bass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Questions:

1) If I get a lefty nut put on, will the bass play ok with only that mod? Playing my lefthanded cheapo Jazz bass, I don't think the SG knobs will get in the way; my arm/hand doesn't seem to be in that space.

2) Short scale; I've read reviews saying this bass is very easy to play and sounds 'fat' and 'deep' for a short scale - any potential problems here? My 310 Epi SG is a bit smaller, so I'm kinda used to 'short scale', but never played a bass that way - I don't have any problems with the jazz bass.

3) Anybody got one of these or played one?

4) Does this seem ok value to you folks?

There doesn't seem to be a belly cut, per se, on this model, so it should feel similarish either way around?

I know sweet FA about basses other than I like playing them, and I'm now a bassist in a band with the possibility of joining another band as bassist too

There is another bass at the shop which is about $350 and a lefty which I might also consider. Any thoughts:

$340 Ibanez SR300L

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gahr likes this.
  2. Paul G.

Paul G. Well-Known Member

It will play just fine with a lefty nut. Plenty of adjustment at the bridge for intonation.

The knobs will turn the wrong way, but you'll get used to it.

I have a good friend who plays an SG turned upside down. It's his favorite guitar.

P.

Bettyboo likes this.
  3. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Don't know the Ibanez, but it looks to be a heavy bass to me.

As for the SG, you'll love it, period.

Short scale is a blast to play, you'll feel right at home from the start. I owned a SG Bass for decades, a Melody Maker to be precise. It was my main instrument ... correction, it was the only one I had. I'm 6'2" and have orangutang's lenght arms, huge hands and I hated long scale basses. Really light bass that is fun to toss around. That neck pickup has a real deep smooth tone to it.

[​IMG]
    The price seem right and it will retain it's value forever, if you don't modify it as I did my MM. I kind of envy you on this buy.

Do it.

EDIT: One thing worries me a bit. Saddles might have to be shifted around. Are they removable ?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    Bettyboo likes this.
  4. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Buy the SG bass. Now. You'll be the Hendrix of bass!

Kidding aside, it looks killer. I'm no bassist, so I don't know what's "right" or "wrong" when it comes to basses, but I know I like to play my short scale Epi EB0.

Bettyboo likes this.
  5. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

The 2014 is good, but the 2015 SG bass is much better (it has the Babicz FCH bridge and a few other things).

You change the nut and adjust the bridge (the intonation will be completely wrong when you flip it). The knobs are a bit of an issue but I am guessing you will get used to them, especially if you don't use them much

I would be more worried about the fact that it is short scale. I would tend to go for the Ibanez. It seems cheap

Bettyboo likes this.
  6. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Forgive my ignorance, but why would that worry you?

Bettyboo likes this.
  7. DrBGood

Some seem to think that size matter. I don't care, because I'm well equipped.

Gahr and Bettyboo like this.
  8. Bettyboo

Thanks for your input, Gentlemen - much appreciated.

It seems rude not to get an SG bass. :dude:

Had a nice session with the song writer/lead guitar this evening and am feeling good about the new band. :shock: He has written some really nice songs.

Gahr likes this.
  9. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

It was a serious question, though. I know a lot of bass players are sceptical regarding short scale basses. Why is that?

10. DrBGood

Must have something to do with that elusive tone something thing.

11. Dave_Death

Short scale basses don't have the clarity of long scale basses. They can sound quite woofy. The Gibson pickups don't help in this regard either. Some people like that sound. It can be cool. Think Jack Bruce in classic Cream.

However, impressions of Jack Bruce are pretty much all a short scale bass can do well. They are not very versatile and they don't like anything lower than standard tuning. The long scale Ibanez is more likely to be a bass that you will be happy with. A short scale SG type bass is a bass for a bassist who already has two or three basses and wants one for specific occasions.

alexander paul and Bettyboo like this.
  12. DrBGood

Yeah, pretty dull unique sound.

Bettyboo likes this.
  13. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

I too would take the Ibanez and run. I have played and recommend this inexpensive, well made, good sounding
    and well balanced bass. I don't own one, but I have set one up for a friend. So there are no flies on the Ibanez,
    and I would highly recommend it. This from an SG lover and a Fender bass player.

Here's why: The Ibanez is a left handed instrument, so everything will work right and look right and feel right
    without needing any custom work. The 34" scale of the Ibanez is the same scale invented by Leo Fender way back
    in 1951, and for good reasons. Fender and his designers and his musician friends tested every other scale before
    settling on 34" as just right. I've been playing my old Fender bass since 1972, and it has served me well. It sounds
    great, feels great and has awesome sustain.

My Fender Jazz bass with its bolt on neck and its simple bent steel bridge sustains far longer than any other instrument... much longer than I need, and I just love the tone. I don't know if that's due to the 34" Scale, or the D'Angelico round wound 45-105 strings or the old wood, or the original Fender p'ups or what... But I think the scale is right up there in importance.

When I was a young buck, Gibson basses had a thud sound that I didn't like. That has changed now of course,
    and I don't think the Gibson bass is as limited as the above comment, because I have so many tones on my Roland
    Cube bass amp that a simple signal from the bass is no handicap at all. My main reason to discourage you from playing
    an upside down SG bass is that I think it will look dorky, and feel uncomfortable, it might not balance right and also you'll devalue it by this
    modification, and destroy its resale value. Don't do it. Not when you can have the Ibanez for half the cost, and
    it will look right and play right and serve you better. The Ibanez also has 24 frets... me, I don't play that far up on the dusty end, but it's nice to have that option. *grins

Gahr, Bettyboo and Dave_Death like this.
  14. Dave_Death

I'd buy an SG bass, but only after I already had several other more conventional basses.

To me they always sound a bit like they have a fuzz pedal built in that is on a low setting, like if I turn my Mudhoney on without the boost on and the gain down fairly low.

Bettyboo likes this.
  15. Dave_Death

The bridge on the Ibanez looks good. Basically a copy of a Hipshot, but with grooves instead of side rails as a means for preventing saddle wobble. Has the same slot-loading string feature and very similar looking saddles.

16. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Good answer. So the shorter scale in itself gives a more "woofy" sound?

17. Bettyboo

"Hello, is the Gibson USA 2014 SG Special Bass in stock?"

"Yes, Sir."

--- 3 days later ---

"Hello, I just want to check the colours you have on the Gibson USA 2014 SG Bass."

"Sorry, Sir, that's a 2014, it's now 2016."

"Yes, but it's on your website as in stock, and I phoned a couple of days ago too."

"Sorry, Sir, we don't stock that guitar."

This is a pretty standard conversation with a Korean guitar shop; so very frustrating. I have found an Epi EB-3 in Pelham Blue that is apparently in stock (although there is an extra switch on the Epi which I reckon will get in my way, so I probably won't go for that), and those Ibanez basses are in stock in a few places. Hmmm, very frustrating, but once again, looks like I won't be buying a Gibson anytime soon. Some nice basses in Japan, but these do add up in cost with taxes, etc.

Thanks to everyone for their comments; interesting reading. I'll start a NBD thread when I get something - it's a Korean holiday next week, so might be 10-14 days before I can get anything. Trying to buy a guitar in Korean is really a challenge...

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  18. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Aw, that sucks. You're still pretty happy with your Harley Benton, though?

19. Bettyboo

^ yeah, I'm golden with the HB, but I'm enjoying the bass so much that'd I'd like another, something a bit different - hence why I was considering the short scale. I'm open to any nice bass, but much as I love the jazz bass style wouldn't mind something a little bit different. You know how it is Gahr...

Yeah, you and Dave make good points; it is supposed to be a very good bass for the money, but it doesn't inspire me to look at (I'm going to look at one on Monday though, so we'll see...).

I don't think that's a biggie, Col - just keeping the original nut and putting it back in at sale time makes it 'normal' again. :shock:

That is an interesting point. I've never been a guy who plays up that end of the neck, ever; I get a nosebleed going beyond the 12th fret, but, BUT..., my HB has 21 frets and I've been playing stuff like the D major scale off of the A string up that end, and when I move to the an E major lick - oops, I'm off the end! :ohno: I never thought I'd say this, but I would like a 24 fret bass; this bass stuff has completely changed my playing; it's good stuff.

Funnily enough; I really like that sound! :D

20. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Hehe, me too. Something really old school about it. And I love Cream...