Gibson bridge on Epiphone G-400 (weird method)

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by Wigjuice, May 6, 2019.

1. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

What else is new ?

donepearce likes this.
  2. DrBGood

Oh yeah, and all that is only distance. Wait until we start with volume.

donepearce likes this.
  3. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

Every US school system that I'm aware of mandates the teaching of the Metric system, so everyone should be learning it, yet very few actually use it. From a teaching standpoint it makes so much more sense because conversion is as simple as moving a decimal point rather than having to remember a bunch of seemingly random numbers.

Even down here though, where the Metric system is the law and in widespread use, there are still a few things that are expressed in Imperial units. The weight of newborn babies is almost always expressed in pounds and ounces. I do a lot of fishing and likewise, many of the weight measurements are still given in pounds and ounces. Air pressure is commonly referred to as p.s.i. I also watch a lot of American football, so my kids know what a yard is, as well as the size of a pint. ;)

donepearce likes this.
  4. plankton

What is there besides decibels?

5. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Member

My kids can think in metric, and as a mechanic, I know the popular equivalents, (I have to use both measurements). I don't think in metric, and I don't conceptualize the dimensions as I do with feet, inches, miles. I built a chassis cradle from plans on the web, I bought a metric tape measure, and only realized when I assembled it, that a Deluxe Reverb chassis barely fits!

6. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    I was brought up as a kid in Imperial. It wasn't until high school that classes went metric. It probably took a couple of weeks to complete the mental switch. But I'm still bilingual fifty years later. Day-to-day I work and think entirely in metric. But I'm five foot eleven, and will remain so.

DrBGood likes this.
  7. DrBGood

Same here, although I was older, 17. So some measurements still didn't migrate.

My weight is still 200, and I'm 6'2". I'll buy 250mg of meat or ½ a pound, same thing, but fruit prices always seem exhorbitant in kilos though.

If I build a structure, it has to be with the imperial scale, since all the wood and construction stuff to be bought is still in inches and feet. 4X8 plywood and 2X4s. So, I don't own a metric measuring tape, but I have metric rulers.

My windsurfing and snowboard gear is all metric, no confusion here. Oh yeah ... except for my boot size :facepalm:

My vehicle odometers have always been in km. So when in the USA I have to do 50 miles to get somewhere, seem like I'll never get there. Once in my twenties, I was arrested for speeding on the Outer Banks in NC, when the trooper asked me how fast did I think I was going (in a 50mph zone), I told him about a hundred. He almost fell backwards. It took some time to explain I was thinking in kilometers. He finally got it when I showed him the dial on my dash.

8. donepearce

English odometers are scaled in miles, not kilometres. One great result of this is that when driving in France or Germany the "miles" seem to disappear very quickly. Kilometers are nicely short.

DrBGood likes this.
  9. DrBGood

We actually have both.

used-2013-toyota-sienna-5dr8passengervanv6sefwd-13215-18575254-20-800.jpg

10. donepearce

Quite right - same here. I mis-remembered. I also took a picture of my car to celebrate a mileage landmark. I sold it soon after.

audi odometer.png

11. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Volume = cubic inches
    Volume = cubic millimeters

12. plankton

Oh of course, that kind of volume. :facepalm: Being a music site I guess I'm pre-inclined to think in terms of sound. :D

I was very happy to see the price of petrol (gasoline) when I got to Australia, until I realized that it was for a litre, or about one fourth of a gallon. :wow:

13. DrBGood

Cubic yard, cubic foot. What's a cubic foot, is it a desease ?

Then there's the ounce, quart, pint, gallon (American smaller than Canadian ? ? ?). Oh yeah, tea spoon, table spoon, cup, 1/3 of a cup, etc.

Almost as mind bogging as French language.

Col Mustard and Biddlin like this.
  14. HackeIommi

HackeIommi Active Member

This thread brings my memories back. Years ago, I modded a Korean Epi G400 (bought from a friend) with Gibson SG Standart humbuckers (498t 490r). Guitar began to sound good but a little bit trebly. A year later, my friend asked her back with Gibson humbuckers and sold me his Gibson Nighthawk.

Epi's are usually worth to trust and mod. Korean, Chinese, SG, LP, semi-hollow, doesn't matter.

15. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

No one has yet come aboard to argue that guitars based on the English inch
    have better tone and more sustain. I have faith that this is true.
    I own Gibson, Martin and Fender guitars, as well as Epiphone, Squier
    and Warmoth. So I know.

Why else would the best guitar makers in the world, Gibson, Martin and Fender use such
    a medieval system, if it didn't render better tone. This has got to be the ONLY reason.

So measurements based on fractions of an inch are stupid, but if they can make
    better guitars this way, we must then live with it, in order to get the tone AND sustain
    we need to perform our songs properly.

Of course they make great guitars in other countries, but if they don't use their
    computers to come up with metric measurements (TO THE FRACTION OF A MILLIMETER!) that correspond to the Gibson specs, tone will suffer. Someone will need to
    hammer them.

I guar-ON-tee it.

Bad Penguin and donepearce like this.
  16. donepearce

Colonel. You are very bad.:dude:

17. Wigjuice

Wigjuice Member

Wow, this thread has strayed quite a bit . I guess measurement types are a passionate topic for some. No worries, of course, I mostly just wanted to share my strange bridge mounting method. I'd love to hear more opinions/methods on bridge mounting in this manner. Regardless, I do enjoy reading everyone's thoughts and opinions, on topic or not.

18. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Someone kicked over an ant hill along the way.

19. donepearce

I found it all pretty interesting. Once a question has gained a decent answer, there can't be any problem with it straying a bit. In fact this one actually remained pretty close to topic.

plankton and cerebral gasket like this.
  20. DrBGood

I thnik the Colonel, without being a tard, must go on a vacation.

[​IMG]