Gibson bridge on Epiphone G-400 (weird method)

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by Wigjuice, May 6, 2019.

1. Beery Swine

Beery Swine Active Member

Cool, glad everything worked out for you. What Duncans you got in there, btw?

2. Wigjuice

Wigjuice Member

Sorry for the mega-late reply! It seems to be hit or miss as to whether I get any kind of notification for new posts. I'm fairly new to actually posting on forums in general, but I'm doing my best :D. Just as a quick update to the bridge situation, it's still working great and I am very happy with my choice of mounting.

To answer the question from Beery Swine, I've got the good ol' Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz combo, both wired with push/pull tone knobs for coil-split. I do like this pickup combo but I've been finding that I don't really like it in this SG. I'm not sure if it's just not a good combo for an SG in general, or just this guitar. Also, the coil-split sound is really weak and lifeless with these pickups. Overall it sounds really great clean and is very nice for more jazzy tone stuff, but every time I'm going for the more traditional SG heavier growl it just feels a bit weak, and even kinda muddy. I recently picked up a Gibson SG Standard 61 (one of the new models, which I'll probably post about in another section), which has the 61R & 61T pickups and WOW does that thing sound incredible! I'm thinking I might find a pair of those to put in the G400.

3. Girl_Rock

Girl_Rock Active Member

First of all: I liked your idea to change the bridge and the work is fine, well done.

Second: I looked at those pick-ups months ago because I wanted to change my Gibson ones (but then I left the originals) or, if I had bought and Epi G-310, I would have changed them with others.
    I think that exist the same pick-ups but in a Rock or Blues version, because I saw someone's comments, about these jazz ones, who asked the difference between these and the others (rock or blues), if I remember well it was on Amazon website. They might be better for an SG, but I've never tried.