Gibson Creative Collaboration Agreement... Excluding SGs.

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Rain, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Rain

Rain Well-Known Member

Just read about it on Facebook... Apparently, SG's aren't part of the deal.

"Gibson is pleased to announce new creative collaboration agreements with key boutique guitar makers and music inspired partners .

Gibson announced today that it has entered into multi-year collaboration agreements with Jimmy Wallace Guitars , Banker Custom Guitars and Echopark Guitars . Under these collaboration agreements, Gibson will give these key boutique builders and luthiers a license to use Gibson trademarks, including the Les Paul Body Shape Design® (U.S. Reg. No. 1782606), Explorer Body Shape Design® Trademark (U.S. Reg. No. 2053805), ES-335 Body Shape Design® Trademark (U.S. Reg. No. 2007277), Firebird Body Shape Design® (U.S. Reg. No. 4107670), Flying V Body Shape Design® Trademark (U.S. Reg. No. 2051790), Flying V Headstock® (U.S. Reg. No. 3976202), Headstock Design® (U.S. Reg. No. 1567052), FLYING V® (U.S. Reg. No. 1216644), FIREBIRD® (U.S. Reg. No. 5628009), EXPLORER® (U.S. Reg. No. 2641548), Firebird Headstock TM (collectively “Trademarks”).

Gibson has also committed to help showcase, promote and amplify Jimmy Wallace , Banker Custom and Echopark Guitars’ pursuit for craftmanship through Gibson channels and events. “We are excited about these collaborations; Orville Gibson started as a boutique builder in 1894 in his workshop in Kalamazoo, MI, and these new collaborations are a way to pay tribute to Orville’s legacy in support of boutique builders and luthiers,” said Cesar Gueikian , Chief Merchant Officer of Gibson Brands .

Jimmy Wallace Guitars was conceived by Jimmy Wallace in 1978 bringing over 40 years of experience in his “ life pursuit of tone, ” paying tribute to American craftsmanship and design. In addition to his personal musical career, Jimmy Wallace has been an ambassador for musicians for decades. He started the Dallas International Guitar Show in 1978 and has since become a respected voice within the dealer and collector community. Wallace has been instrumental in music education and promotion of young artists, including the “ Young Guns of Guitar 10 Under 20” competition, which has been supported by Gibson and is a melting pot for many young artists to reach the main stage. “I’m thrilled to reunite with Gibson through this exciting collaboration,” said Jimmy Wallace. “The opportunity granted to me by the new Gibson team brings authenticity back to Jimmy Wallace Guitars in a way I would have never imagined. I’m looking forward to the future with Gibson. ”

Banker Custom Guitars , started by Matthew Hughes , was born out of his love for vintage guitars and old school American Craftsmanship . When it comes to guitars, Matthew thinks there is an element of magic, passion, and artistry that goes into creating a guitar. Everything Matthew creates is done using the methods employed during the advent of the electric guitar, by hand. He is obsessed with tone and classic designs. “ Banker Guitars was conceived from a passion for the rugged, innovative spirit of the guitar craftsmen whose pioneering handwork inspired the advent of Rock and Roll, ” said Matthew Hughes . “ Gibson’s influence on the inception of electric guitar is deeply embedded in American history,” adds Hughes . “We are honored and humbled to have the opportunity to partner with them and utilize their iconic electric guitar designs to further the legacy of quality, playability and artistry that has inspired the greatest music of generations past, present, and future.”

Echopark Guitars was conceived in 2008 when Gabriel Currie started to make his individual mark in the guitar building community by hand-crafting instruments for various players. Currie uses his hands, eyes and ears to select and build every part of every instrument. He prides himself on his knowledge of tones and the history of the finest guitars ever built. Each and every instrument that is created by Gabriel Currie and his team is the product of a deeply bred lineage of American craftsmanship . They are instruments built with love, pieces of art that have been coddled and cared for from their inception; he makes practical, dynamic tools that are second-to-none for making music. It’s not a coincidence that Echopark Guitars is based in Detroit, Michigan, just hours away from Gibson’s birthplace in Kalamazoo . “Everything that is perfect about the instrument had already been developed by Gibson long before any of us got here!” says Gabriel Currie . “My goal is to help preserve this legacy and take part in building inspiring instruments,” adds Currie .

Gibson has also announced that they have entered into multi-year collaboration agreements with Thalia Brands and Aviator Nation . Thalia Brands was conceived by Chris Bradley and his daughter Thalia in 2010 when 8-year old Thalia was playing guitar and envisioned a beautiful capo, one that would perfectly match the Hawaiian Koa & Abalone inlaid guitar she loved. Today, Thalia designs and manufactures a full range of guitar accessories and lifestyle products in their California studio. They are known for high quality, customer service and amazing custom inlay work. “ Thalia and I have been longtime fans of Gibson,” says Chris Bradley, Founder and CEO of Thalia Brands, Inc . “My favorite guitar is my 1938-Reissue Gibson SJ-200 and Thalia’s is her Epiphone Hummingbird. The opportunity to collaborate with Gibson to create co-branded capos, phone cases and other high-quality accessories is a dream come true for us,” adds Chris Bradley . “We have ambitious plans for the future as we extend our reach into other guitar accessory categories and this collaboration with Gibson will enable us to make even better products that Gibson Guitar fans will surely love”.

Aviator Nation is a 1970’s inspired California lifestyle brand. It was born in Paige Mycoskie’s garage in Venice Beach , 2006, and has since grown into a global lifestyle brand. Paige’s passion for 1970’s fashion and the music that defined that time period inspired her to create her own clothing stitched by hand. While working at a surf shop in Southern California, she purchased a sewing machine and spent nights after work teaching herself to sew, determined to create garments with the same look and feel of the vintage pieces she had been collecting for years. Paige believes in the universal power of music to unite people for positive change. Her garments are all handmade in California, in the Aviator Nation factory where each item is distressed to a degree of perfect imperfection, creating a one-of-a-kind piece. Keeping the garments Made in America is a core value of Aviator Nation which will be available late 2019.

Over the last few months, Gibson has also entered into over 40 fee-free IP licenses in support of TV and movie productions, some of which are expected to become global feature film releases. “We are honored by the demand for use of our IP by renowned producers and directors around the world and we look forward to more collaborations with the creative industry,” said Cesar Gueikian .

https://myemail.constantcontact.com...tions.html?soid=1129474305186&aid=E-V5U4611RA

Thoughts?

2. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I think James Curleigh has a plan. His subordinates are weaving and stitching the pieces of his plan. Look at what he did for Levis.......

3. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

So this is what the "play authentic" stuff was about. They are licensing their designs out so that now there will be legal, licensed copies out there but presumably of good quality (I've never heard of these "boutique" makers but I'm guessing they aren't some sweatshop in china). So they want to kill the market for non-licensed copies, which are everywhere.

Biddlin likes this.
  4. Didds

Didds Well-Known Member

What I've heard is that this actually was in the works way before the play authentic thing. My favourite youtuber, Rhett Shull, said in a livestream that he got a call from a friend of his that runs a boutique guitar company saying that Gibson was licensing him to make some Gibson style guitars. This was apparently months before the play authentic video. I wish I could find the clip for you but finding a 30 second clip out of dozens of 1 hour livestreams is proving difficult

Biddlin likes this.
  5. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

ain't nuthin' like the real thing, baby...
    3 Gibsons@100.jpg
    I own three Gibson guitars, and feel no need to buy any more,
    nor do I need to shop for 'boutique' replicas of Gibson guitars.
    I have what I need, and the rest of the world can pound sand.
    The future may change everything I once thought was important
    and that does NOT matter. The future belongs to the young people.

My Gibson guitars were made in Nashville Tennessee, (the SGs)
    and Bozeman, Montana (the acoustic). Kalamazoo is a distant
    memory... I owned a Kalamazoo made Gibson for about ten years
    until it was stolen in 1978. That was it for me... original Kalamazoo
    made guitars became too expensive for any normal musician to
    consider. Whatever...

Lucky us, we have lots of fine alternatives. I own an excellent Epiphone
    ES-339 P-90 pro, and that instrument does everything I need in the
    single coil category. As long as Epiphone makes decent low priced versions of Gibson designs, and as long as Gibson themselves make
    decent high priced versions of their own designs, all these other
    makers ought to make their own designs... IMHO anyway.

Biddlin likes this.
  6. Biddlin

Curleigh sees this as an alternative revenue stream. If this works out, he can farm out all the work except five figure customs. Just like Levis.

7. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

I'm sure they've been working on getting it lined up for a while. They issued a "play authentic" video that talks about how every guitar that uses a Gibson shape is a fake a month before they made an official announcement that there are now makers licensed to use the "authentic" designs. Doesn't seem like a coincidence to me.

Didds likes this.
  8. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Perfect !

Don' t touch the SG ! :thumb:

Rain likes this.
  9. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

In the last 3 years I have acquired 6 guitars.

2 EBMMs
    3 PRSs
    1 Gibson.

The only reason there's a Gibson in there is
    I had been looking for that particular guitar
    since 1967 and finally crossed paths with it.

I am pretty much done with Gibson.
    I mean, Look at these things,
    and they sound good too!

PRS S2.png

Y2Dinvcrop.jpg

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  10. HackeIommi

HackeIommi Active Member

I think the question is, JC is givin' them a license in return of what? Collaboration how? My guess is, JC maybe thinking to improve the quality of Gibson by the help of these boutique brands. Probably they are not selling thousands of guitars in a year. JC will give them a license and adapt their methods into the Gibson factory.

11. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

...and charge even more for their already overpriced guitars.

plankton, Worblehat and fos1 like this.
  12. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

I don't see the situation as a bad thing for either party. Gibson won't lose a dime if the ventures flop although it doesn't do much in terms of bringing in younger initial customers.

13. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Active Member

The PRS is an especially fine looking guitar. I've never picked one up to try because they're kinda pricey but maybe it's time to take a look.

14. Biddlin

I'm so sick of hearing this dog whistle. The "quality" is as good or better than anytime in the past BY ANY OBJECTIVE METRICS! What sucks is that any blatherskite with a smart phone can get on a forum and slander to their heart's content. If we demanded proof of actual ownership, the number of "Gibson haters" would diminish to a handful.

15. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Wow. Never thought I'd see the day.

I looked up the trademark number for the LP bodyshape and it was only granted in 1993. The SG body shape trademark was only granted in 1999!

arcticsg and Biddlin like this.
  16. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

What Bidden said.

I have a mid 60's SG custom
    and a 2003 SG61 Reissue.
    The 2003 is the better guitar in every way.
    It feels better, sounds better and looks better.

Older is better?
    Vintage?
    Mojo?
    Bullsh!t!

Older is older, nothing more.

"A good guitar is a good guitar."

- Tony M. -

17. HackeIommi

HackeIommi Active Member

Why is this anger, sir? Mine was just a simple guess about what JC try to do. I think he is a smart guy and he is aware of problems of Gibson.

Listen please, sir. I grow up by Gibson sound. My two divine sounds were Gibson LP and Tony Iommi sounds. To own a Gibson -LP, and SG both. Before an Ibanez, ESP or anything else- was my dream as a young metal fan. Based on my experiences and my disappointments, I can't agree "as good or better than any time" parts. I played many Gibsons. And from the '90s to 2000s, the quality didn't turn to better. Especially for LP models. Sorry, but I played top-notch Studios during the '90s. Good as a Standart. But in the 2000s, they turned to shitty, overpriced, soundless models. Gosh, their finish jobs, craftsmanship, sounds fell down to the ground before my eyes. During the '90s, Standards were really good guitars. If you have a Gibson Standart LP, even a Studio, no need to mod. Buy and play on stage, as simple as that. For SG models, sadly the situation is the same. Standard SG's turned to overpriced nightmares. Weirdly, just Special, Faded SGs never kept their quality.

I am not a Gibson hater. My two main and most beloved guitars -my Nighthawk and my SG they are produced by Gibson. And I am thankful for that. But my beloved LP was a Greco. Right price, top quality, and real authentic sound. I made my guess based on all these things I lived, saw, experienced in years. Gibson or any brands are not exempt from criticizing.

Actually, just guitar brands? No! Nothing is exempt from criticizing. If to share a simple guess based on good and bad experiences makin' me a blatherskite in your eyes, so be it.

JCarno likes this.
  18. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

I have just one question here.

What the Hell is a blatherskite?

19. Biddlin

Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

20. Biddlin

From olde English, a combination of blather and skite, it means one who blathers skite. It's in your Funk and Wagnell's. Look it up. See "Numpty' while you're at it.