Gibson Creative Collaboration Agreement... Excluding SGs.

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Rain, Jul 18, 2019.

1. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

In 1995, the SG Standard cost $875. With inflation, that would be $1,469 today. The 2019 Standard is $1,499.

In 1995, the SG Special cost $595. With inflation, that would be $999 today. The 2019 Special is $799.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    Biddlin likes this.
  2. Tony M

Tony M Well-Known Member

Hey Bid, I looked it up.

numpty
    [ˈnəm(p)tē]
    NOUN
    BRITISH
    informal
    numpties (plural noun)
    1. a stupid or ineffectual person.
      "confused numpties who have little idea of what they're talking about"

Biddlin likes this.
  3. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I beg to differ.

Pictured below left to right:

2006 SG Classic
    2004 SG Classic
    2004 SG Special Faded (refinished)

[​IMG]

Those SG Classics are basically modern reissues of a late 60's SG Special, but with TOM bridge and tailpiece along with a 1-11/16 nut width. The 2004 SG Special Faded was stripped, had its grain filled, leveled and refinished to gloss with the grain visible through the color. The fingerboard is ebony. I purchased all my SG second hand, and even after the refinish on the SG Special Faded, I paid less $$$ for that guitar than a new SG Standard.

These guitars play and sound just as great, if not better than the 1963 and 1969 SG Specials that I had in the past.

It's unfortunate with the modern SG Specials (Faded & Gloss) with humbuckers that they lost the binding on the neck and the headstock logo is now silkscreened instead of inlay, but they are still great quality guitars IMO.

Because I liked the neck profile and ebony board on mine so much, I saw the potential this guitar had and took it to the next level with a proper refinish and could not be any happier. With the grain filled and leveled so that it is smooth with a gloss finish, it is a treat to play.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    Rain, arcticsg and PermissionToLand like this.
  4. HackeIommi

HackeIommi Active Member

@PermissionToLand hi! I can talk about craftsmanship and sound quality. But I can't talk about the inflation of a country which I don't live in. So I accept your calculation. I can't talk about 2019 Gibsons, but every SG Standart Gibson produced after 2003 disappointed me.

I have really a dark fortune about SGs. Before 2005, there were good Standards but I hadn't got money. After 2005, I had money, but there wasn't a good SG Standart. For a long time, I filled this SG emptiness with a Korean Epiphone G400 and a Gibson Nighthawk. When my Iommi came into my life, that was a dream moment! And I am thankful to Epiphone & Gibson both for Iommi and Nighthawk.

@cerebral gasket hi again! I never had guitars with P90s, never owned, never played, not my area. On the other hand, I accept Special Fadeds as simple as they are. Without binding, with a great sound.

5. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

6. HackeIommi

HackeIommi Active Member

I am Hacke Iommi, not Tony Iommi :D The reality is still there. I never had an SG or LP with standard or John Birch P90 set. Wish I had one. Sometimes I feel a different mojo about P90's OMG!! I am GASsing again :ohno::ohno:

cerebral gasket likes this.
  7. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

It sounds like you happened to play SGs that were set up better prior to 2005 is all. No offense, but the idea that certain years are better than others is misguided IMO. Nothing changed in 2005. The Standard had the same specs, the same build process as it had since 1991 at that point.

8. HackeIommi

HackeIommi Active Member

None taken, believe me :) Maybe you are right. Maybe, last years Gibson is sending their worse guitars here, maybe my dark fortune played wicked & weird games to me. Who knows?

Anyway, lets go back to the topic! So, they don't give the license for SG models. I remember I read somewhere SG Standart is best selling Gibson model.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_SG

Can this be the reason for excluding?

Rain likes this.