Gibson Custom Shop - Thomann Edition

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by pancake81, May 26, 2019.

1. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    DanB, Gahr, papagayo and 3 others like this.
  2. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Beautiful SG! :smile:

3. Satellitedog

Satellitedog Active Member

It seems to be a limited run for Musikhaus Thomann, Europe's largest online music store. Just like Wildwood have their own made to spec SG VOS-s.

Okay, the promotional article scanned and posted in the listing says it has some '70s inspired features, like a 3 piece maple neck, and wax potted Angus Young PAF-s that measure higher resistance than early '60s ones.

The rest seems to be standard fare, or cosmetic stuff (dark cherry finish).

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  4. pancake81

Ah, got it. Thanks

5. Satellitedog

I edited the post, as I read through the scanned ad/review.

6. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Just needs a F*CKING BATWING!

Oh, and lose the ridiculously high output AY pickups that are nothing like what Angus uses.

7. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

BABABOUM ! :wow:

Image temp 5620.jpg

Gahr, DanB, pancake81 and 1 other person like this.
  8. PermissionToLand

This website, at least through translation, appears to suggest it's 3-piece Mahogany:

https://www.amazona.de/test-gibson-custom-sg-standard-vos-e-gitarre/

But then, they also claim it has an Ebony board when it's clearly Rosewood.

9. pancake81

It’s kind of a highbred between Angus’ black small pick guard, with the trap inlays, etc, and the color of his lightening bolt.

Cool concept. Angus aside, it’s a smoking guitar

10. Satellitedog

Ahorn is maple in German.

11. PermissionToLand

I've been trying to figure it out from the grain in the pictures but it's hard to tell. It does look kind of open pored like Mahogany. The original Thomann page for it actually says one piece Mahogany, so literally every description of this model says something different. What the hell...

12 VOS LE 2.jpg

[​IMG]

12. PermissionToLand

AHA! Here we go, should have just read the seller's description in the first place!

"The width at the first waistband is 42mm and it is a pure mahogany neck, not a 3-piece maple neck, which even finds special mention in the test.

After consultation with Thomann, there was the variant not with maple neck! The actual specs are mainly noted on the original Thomann invoice"

So I'm thinking the magazine just got it wrong, because even the one they photographed doesn't look like 3-pc Maple from the pictures.

Satellitedog likes this.
  13. Satellitedog

Alright, sorry, I did infact rely on the scanned review. The back of the headstock does look like regular mahogany.

14. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Since it's a 2012 model, and that's when they were using alternative woods, the fingerboard could be Granadillo, Baked Maple or whatever else they could source at the time.

koaguilds likes this.
  15. pancake81

Fair comment, and possible. But I would hope on a custom shop model that was limited to 25 guitars that they could produce what they advertised

16. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

Due to some sort of printing error, that brochure is totally unreadable (ahem!) but it seems like it's a Custom shop VOS '61 SG Standard with different pickups and a darker finish. Maybe the neck profile is different but assuming one piece mahogany body, one piece maple neck, and rosewood fretboard the pickups and the finish seem to be the only big differences. I like the tuners being more like a proper aged white than greenish / yellowish, I don't know if that was what they were using in that year on all the Custom Shop SGs but on my 2006 they are not an aged white and it bugs me.

I am not sure the "only 25 made" limitation to the model makes it more valuable per-se. It seems a bit like the Guitar Center limited edition one from 2005 where they put grover tuners on it instead of Kluson. It's cool but not necessarily more valuable than another Custom Shop SG from the same year. In this case, pickups can be swapped pretty easily so that doesn't seem a big issue to drive up value, and finish is a hard thing to quantify whether it makes something more valuable or not (TV Yellow and Pelham blue vintage models being exceptions). It's more a presonal preference and personally I think it looks awesome. But that price seems a bit steep to me (understanding I'm in the USA so local prices on used gear may differ from those in EU).