Gibson Embossed Pickup Covers:

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by Robert Herndon, Dec 5, 2016.

1. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Relic61 and AngelDeVille like this.
  2. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

3. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

They've been sold.

4. bea

bea Well-Known Member

That pair came with my problem child archtop. They are actually too good for the guitar below - that's a Sammic Royale III, and i think, a pair of Epihone humbuckers or those nicely sounding cheap Chinese humbuckers would be adequate for it. Not those T-tops...

DSC_3477.JPG

syscokid likes this.
  5. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

6. Relic61

Damn, I just caught that!
    '72 SG Standard? Or is it the SG Deluxe?

The SG Deluxe did transition back to the Standard with the '73 model which came with those Bill Lawrence Epoxy-backed Super-Humbucking pickups. But... if you have a genuine '72 SG Standard (not- Deluxe) with these embossed Gibson pickups then you have an exceptional rariety & as a Norlin aficionado / collector / player I would both like to congratulate you & PM you an offer...!

7. Relic61

You know it's funny but these rare pup covers are one of the few classy things left that aren't reproduced yet! That makes these real deal examples rare & pricey as hell.

I have seen the fullsized embossed (fvk you I'm not saying de-bossed because that's not what they call them) covers sell for $150 & regularly go for $75 to $100.

Your 'Golden Girl' is sure awful nice looking Bea! & I bet it sounds phenomenal with those pickups on it! They are great pups that are full of tone & vintage mojo (god I hate that word but it fits here. gag..yuk..gag), and those covers just ad that element of class that really makes your Sammic look strikingly beautiful.

As long as those pups are working / sounding good & that guitar is easily playable, isn't that what really matters & aren't you the lucky girl?

And I've seen intact (original solder / un-opened covers) examples sell for $350 a piece! Do the British conversion rate & you have a pricey guitar there! lol But those two pickups very well might be worth more together than that guitar with original pups.

If you were to ever sell (contact me first of course for gratuitous low-ball offer. lol) I would definitely take those '72's out of there & stick some other pups in their place to optimize your return investment.

8. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Wait, you bought them?

[​IMG]

Must be nice.

9. Relic61

No, I was thanking him for his expertise & eloquent clarity for properly explaining the finer technicalities surrounding these logo techniques!

Nice job Dr. B.!

Funny thing is, I do not own any P-90 guitars except for some 50's Lap Tops n stuff.. but no regular electric guitars. I got discouraged years ago with the noise I generate playing with the drive & gain I like. That crazy buzzing between playing drove me frik'n nutz!

eyes spies.png

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  10. bea

bea Well-Known Member

UOTE="Relic61, post: 476574, member: 3061"]
    Your 'Golden Girl' is sure awful nice looking Bea! & I bet it sounds phenomenal with those pickups on it! They are great pups that are full of tone & vintage mojo (god I hate that word but it fits here. gag..yuk..gag), and those covers just ad that element of class that really makes your Sammic look strikingly beautiful.[/QUOTE]

Well, the Sammick actually is not the ideal guitar for really good pickups. It is "body heavy" - yes, really the opposite of neck heavy, and its neck is extremely slim, so slim that it reduces the attack and the power of the guitar. All my other guitars are better, even my cheap chinese "SD" and my semihollow DIY Plywood/Spruce V - that one - ok, another T-Top...

Flying_V_Guitar_Body.jpg

So i think the Sammick would actually profit from other pickups if they were carefully chosen. Maybe GFS double lipsticks, maybe my chinese cheapos with gold cover and a full and warm sound (7 € per pickup, great sound...). And the embossed T-Tops deserve, well actually *need* a really powerful instrument.

As i am a bass player and one playing Bass VI maybe something like a Gibson EB-6 ... (from their time in the archtop i even have a fine tuned C-Switch for that pair...). BTW: i am planning such a bass, but in a shape i designed 45 years ago, even before i did te V-

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  11. Relic61

Well, the Sammick actually is not the ideal guitar for really good pickups. It is "body heavy" - yes, really the opposite of neck heavy, and its neck is extremely slim, so slim that it reduces the attack and the power of the guitar. All my other guitars are better, even my cheap chinese "SD" and my semihollow DIY Plywood/Spruce V - that one - ok, another T-Top...

View attachment 26492

So i think the Sammick would actually profit from other pickups if they were carefully chosen. Maybe GFS double lipsticks, maybe my chinese cheapos with gold cover and a full and warm sound (7 € per pickup, great sound...). And the embossed T-Tops deserve, well actually *need* a really powerful instrument.

As i am a bass player and one playing Bass VI maybe something like a Gibson EB-6 ... (from their time in the archtop i even have a fine tuned C-Switch for that pair...). BTW: i am planning such a bass, but in a shape i designed 45 years ago, even before i did te V-[/QUOTE]

So are all those T-Tops pre '73 Patent number sticker pups? And do they have the same/similar output & tone? Nice job on the old DIY V by the way. Very ambitious of you! lol

So you're thinking the neck on Old Goldie is killing your transfer of sound waves & perceived power? I have found lots of those pre '73 T-Tops to be of moderate to sometimes weak output, especially when compared to newer pups! And a significant difference can be felt going from a guitar with those old pups to newer pups in most tube amps pre-amp sections. That has me wondering if that V's pup was a post '73 T-Top made after Gibsons brief foray into those epoxy backed Bill Lawrence Super Humbucking pups, which I have found to usually have a little more bark & bite that the pre '73's. And that's what has me wondering about similar era T-Tops or not.

While those pre '73 pups do tend to be less aggressive, they are also exceptionally organic & capable of reproducing a wide frequency range response. They also have a tone that is absolutely beautiful through a clean amp and sound perfectly Rock'n with just a little clean boost or even when getting a bit hairier adding in some Pre-Amp Gain or Overdrive.

12. bea

bea Well-Known Member

No, the one in the V is newer, and it sounds darker, "jazzier". Which is a good match, btw.

No, not that far. Old Goldie sounds "ok", attack is a bit weak, and the high flageolets could be better. Which means that it cannot make full use of the potential of the T-Tops; some "mid-quality" pickups would be fully sufficient. We have a set of Epiphone-Alnico humbuckers left - these are not as "dynamic", a bit less "open" as those T-Tops, but soundwise they would harmonize with the guitar well.
    And the test with the GFS double lipsticks is actually something i could do on a free day, 'cause i run a pair of those in my golden SG bass.

And that's why i consider them for my Bass VI project (ever heared one of Gibsons's few Bass VIes from the early 60s?)

13. Tonerider

Tonerider Active Member

Do you know if embossed covers made in China exist ?

14. Relic61

Not yet that I know of.

Hey, don't go gettin any funny ideas!
    :rofl:

Ah, me'sa gonna get a wich

15. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

Has a set of those forementioned Epi Humbuckers. I like how they sound.
    Now looking at one of our member's names I also hear Tonerider makes decent pups too.

16. Tonerider

Tonerider Active Member

Chine industry should mke some, I' m pretty sure they will ...

17. Relic61

Not until you mentioned it! lol
    Dats just fuct up

18. bea

bea Well-Known Member

They do, indeed. I put a pair of their hubucker sized P90s into my son's Epiphone (Les Paul). No the guitar plays in a wholly differend league.

Raiyn likes this.
  19. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

A pickup swap can completely change a guitar - usually for the better.