Gibson or epiphone

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by purple dragon, Mar 21, 2020.

1. purple dragon

purple dragon Member

Ok i am going back and forth at wath to do.so i hope to Get some input from people here.woued you sell some of you gibsons to buy some of the new 2020 epiphone line??

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    First, where are you?

3. purple dragon

purple dragon Member

I live In norway

4. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Hei og velkommen!
    Hello and welcome! I have a number of Gibsons and am interested in the new Epiphone SGs and Les Pauls, but will not sell any of the Gibsons to buy one. I also wouldn't sell any of the Epiphones to buy a new one. I love and play them all!

5. richey88

richey88 Member

Yup, I wouldn't get rid of anything, but would mow Lawns, get the $ elsewhere, but would definitely check them out, great value!

fredlw likes this.
  6. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Active Member

I don't understand why that would be an idea to have in the first place. Can you elaborate a bit on why that would be a good idea in your mind?

7. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

You can' t compare a Gibson and an Epiphone.

The Gibson is higher quality, all components used by Gibson are better. An Epiphone is only inspired by Gibson.

Play both ...

8. SatansGwitar

SatansGwitar Member

Just posting this here just in case you didn't know.... c82438ad-abc8-402b-8901-dbc825382bff.jpg

9. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Active Member

That's actually a very clever slogan in that it seems to state an absolute fact whereas in reality it's just subjective opinion. Once you realize this it's as ridiculous, and thus funny, as a slogan I once saw on a T-shirt in a christian store saying "The truth is that Jesus lives". I did of course get the T-shirt and would love to get my hands on that sticker as well, where did you get it?

Also, back to the OP, what would be your reasoning behind this?

10. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

I like this version better ...

Only a Gibson is overpriced enough.jpg

11. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Active Member

Hahaha, that's a good one but I find the other one funnier because it's probably meant to be serious.

loafie and DrBGood like this.
  12. purple dragon

purple dragon Member

Thank you fore your replies.
    I guess if i did have space and money i woued just put the gibsons away and buy the epis i want.
    Is only a gibson god enough??Dont Get me wrong gibson got some better wood etc but is gibson worth 3-4++ times more??are the better components worth paying 3/4 times more?i dont think so i can buy that fore more less money and upgrade that myself.i guess the gibsons have just been case candy and i want to replase them with guitars i am not afraid to use and Get some players instead,that i can mod since i am not a out of the box player.if i sell my 13 sg/les Paul 61 tribute i can buy 2 61 epis and a custom with cases and still got some change.the two 61 epis i woued mod to a 61 with sideway tremolo and the other more or less stock and add a full pickguard to make it a 66.the veener on those do bug me tho so i woued most likly refinish them In nitro.but again if i do refinish them i woued use them and not worry about dings because i can alway refinish it again if it goes bad.and that is something i never woued do on a gibson.i guess i feel i want to go full cirkle since i started with epiphone and now want to go back to epiphone and Get good guitars i can mod and play without worry about ding them and resalvalue if i ever have to sell.but again i guess i have some Cork sniffer left In my because of that headstock and the gibson name ete that all say is better make me want to keep them.but again then they more or less will just spent ther time In the case and that is a shame AS well because a guitar is a tool that shoued be used and not lock In ther cases.guess you guys think i am crazy AS hell.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  13. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Active Member

Then for you this seems like a wise choice. Get an epi, refinish it, stick some better pickups in there perhaps and rock on. If you live in Oslo you're fortunate enough to have excellent access to nitro btw. Nothing crazy there.

BTW, I'm not at all sure about this, perhaps someone else here knows, but perhaps the "worn" or "faded" (or whatever the heck they call it when they don't bother to grainfill and clearcoat a guitar) aren't veneered but solid? In that case it could be an easier refinish.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  14. Robert P.Mamarella

Robert P.Mamarella New Member

I would'n sell what I already have,but I really Love the new Inspired by Gibson Line of Epiphones. I'm very Interested in the 61 SG with Lyier Vibrato Tailpiece, the Special,and Firebird. SWEET!!!!!

15. Robert P.Mamarella

Robert P.Mamarella New Member

Yes,True,but what an Inspiration! Yup!!! If Ya want Quality at a good Price, Check out the Late 90s early 2000s M.I.J. Epiphone on E-bay. They'er Very Well made,Sound great and in My Opinion are just as Good as a Gibson.After all they are Gibson Products!

16. purple dragon

purple dragon Member

I kind of go that route more and more.dont Get me wrong gibson use better wood etc but i guess i come to a point where i i sound more or less the same if i play a 100$ guitar or a 6500 custom shop(dont Get me wrong pickups etc will give a littel diffrent sound but my root sound are more or less the same.i sound like me and its Very littel sound diffrence whene i play a EPI or a gibby if that make sense)
    Do you know the name on the store?i have alway imported nitro before and it woued be Nice to just go and buy it.

I dont know it it is models that i want that got a satin finish.it just the classic with full pickguard and p90 and that is routed so i cant have a half guard on.unless i fill a big gap off wood betwin the pickups

17. purple dragon

purple dragon Member

I shoued say i will not sell all my gibsons just the more hige end one.i will still keep 3 sgj and a lpj goldtop and zw bfg les Paul.
    Yes that one i want two off one to put some paf inspired pickups and a sideway tremolo and one to keep the lyre vibrola and add a fullface pickguard and some hotter pickups.

18. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Active Member

Makes perfect sense and yep, it's http://www.billakkspesialisten.no/ on Torshov.

19. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Yeah, all you cheap guys do.:naughty:
    (Full disclosure-I have about as many Epis as Gibsons these days and my last two new guitar purchases were Epiphones):cool:

DrBGood likes this.
  20. Greg Coats

Greg Coats New Member

I would agree about the quality overall but I had an Acoustic Masterbilt AJ-45 which is basically a copy of a Gibson J-45 and that guitar sounded as good or better then the Gibson and I have been kicking myself since I sold it. There are gems and duds in both lines best to try before you buy unfortunately doing that now due to the covid 17 virus is a dangerous proposition.

Fumble fingers likes this.