Gibson or epiphone

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by purple dragon, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Active Member

The Covid 17 is to the Covid 19 what Epiphone is to Gibson, I guess? (this is a joke, no harm intented)

DrBGood likes this.
  2. Bbr6704

Bbr6704 New Member

If I were you, i'll go for a used Gibson SG special. You can get one for 500€, where a new Epi qil be 450€. You wont get the same guitar, and will not regret it. (better wood, better finich, elctronics, pick ups, and nitro lacquer...)

Col Mustard and papagayo like this.
  3. ezypikins

ezypikins New Member

4. Prontocruiser

Prontocruiser New Member

I've had a lot of Epiphones, and some Gibsons. Still have a GIbson les paul standard, an SG and just sold off my LPJ. I've stripped some of both brands and as far as "Mahogany" bodied guitars go, there is a huge difference in the two products. That being said, an Epi stripped and refinished with nitro makes an awful nice feeling and looking guitar. The biggest differences to me are the pickups. Individual preference is really the king, so my pick on pickups may not be yours. But as far as SG's go, neither my SG310 or SG400 can hold a candle to the sound from my SG faded even though I think they look better.... I can't tell the difference in sound between the Gibson SG faded and a Gibson SG standard with the same pickups, but it is night and day, compared to the Epi's. And then, less neck angle sure makes an Epi stay in tune a lot better than any of my Gibbys, excepting only the Standard. Great guitars, all of them.

The new Epi's are pretty fantastic, and I agree with Greg, no matter which kind you lean toward, play them before you buy them. I've had the same model, same year of the same guitar and one was great and the next was better suited to firewood. Thankfully quality control for both guitars this year seem to be better.

5. davejustdave

davejustdave New Member

Oof. Firstly the Epiphones can be nice but you really need to play a bunch, and in the end the Gibsons tend to be better. It doesn't mean you won't find a great Epiphone but I tend to think the SG is the one model you want to get a really good one as they tend to be easier to be bad? I'm a Les Paul guy but I have one SG I love but I'll be damned if I've encountered so many bad ones. They're just delicate. I will say that Gibson the last two years (19s and 20s) are far more consistent than years past (though I have a 2016 I love).

I say the best compromise is a used Gibson SG, you will save money BUT you have to really be careful as people love to pawn off their damaged guitars to others. I bought an SG this past year that had a bad rhythm pot which only activated when you maxed the knob. The sort of little things stores or buyers miss (I got it at a store and was able to return it for the 19 SG I love).

Either way there's a reason Epiphone is a diffusion brand. Unlike Fender where you can get great Japanese or Mexican guitars Epiphones can be really awful. So I'd rather save longer and find the right Gibson.

I probably should have lead with that lol.

6. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Used Gibson SG Special, pure Gibson and fantastic instrument :thumb:

I bought this beauty in UK, 400 Euros, Gibson USA case included.

SG Faded 89.jpg

7. sazista

sazista Active Member

Again, as many of you have heard me 40 times; My 2002 Gibson Faded sounds fantastic and is light, but my Epiphone G310 (bolt-on neck) with Seymours is WAY faster, more comfortable to play and sounds 'almost' as clean. I will never part with it. I usually play it over the Gibson. *that's it in the picture; the white one

dub-setter likes this.
  8. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Yes, of course ...

9. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Active Member

Faster sounds interesting. Other than that nothing strange there, they're both just slabs of wood with pickups so no reason why you can't make them sound at least the same.

10. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

ETSG wisdom in the question "Gibson or Epiphone" states:

GET BOTH

*grins

I own both. I have recently needed to cut down my collection, and what I
    kept (for electrics) was this:
    four electrics@100.jpg
    One Fender, one Epiphone and two Gibsons. I actually don't have room right
    now to keep all of these either, but I could not bear to sell the Fender and the Epiphone
    so I "fostered" them with musician friends who may play them, wipe them down,
    change the strings...

My suggestion if you own a lot of guitars is to sell the ones that are not
    getting played. Gibsons are excellent (mostly) but Epiphones have their place
    in the lineup as well. That blonde bombshell above gives up NOTHING to her
    more elegant sisters. And that Mexican firecracker on the left is another
    real player.

That's another can of worms we tend not to open: Mexican made Fenders vs
    USA made. Gibson vs Epiphone... Tempest in a teapot.

My feeling is that mostly it comes down to setup. A well setup Epiphone
    can take its place onstage alongside guitars costing ten times as much.
    A poorly set up Gibson makes you unhappy and doesn't get played, and
    gets sold for small money to someone (like us) who can put it right
    with no problems.

So I don't care much about the quality of the wood, (except for my acoustic
    guitars)... I don't care much about the decorations, like binding and inlay.
    My priorities are the nut and the frets and the action and the pickups and the
    wiring and the balance.
    Those things can be made perfect on an Epiphone
    or a MIM Fender or a more expensive Gibson.

Buy and play the one you fall in love with.
    Sell the ones that don't get played, whatever brand.