Gibson SG 1973 lefty

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by beefyburt, May 22, 2019.

1. beefyburt

beefyburt Member

Hi everyone, hope you all rocking n rollin!
    I've just bought an SG, probably 1973 but could be 72-76? Unfortunately the serial number is missing, and the pots look to have been changed, but all the other details look right to me- solid mahogany body, unbound ebony fretboard, narrow neck at the top, tarback humbuckers, most of the original wiring with part silver lined cavity, thick heal to top of neck.
    It came in a case but it looks too new to be original, with the Gibson USA logo on it- I would have expected just white Gibson.
    Any thoughts on its authenticity?
    Cheers. main body.jpg rear headstock.jpg headstock.jpg case.jpg

DanB and Dale like this.
  2. Mick

Mick Member

Looks fairly authentic to me, nice and worn looking! The pick guard is definitely not original though, and those Speed knobs look quite new for a guitar that old(I reckon the white numbers would have yellowed) The case is also newer, it might be from the 80’s or 90’s? Hard to know.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    beefyburt likes this.
  3. beefyburt

beefyburt Member

Yes the knobs are deffo not original, and the pointers are missing as well. Deffinately ha been played, and so dirty! Looking forward to cleaning it up. I took the pickguard off and there isn't any sign of other screw holes so what's wrong with it? Thanks for your reply btw.

4. shreddy bender

shreddy bender Well-Known Member

Looks like a late 74 to me. The bridge pickup is closer to the bridge than earlier years and the unbound ebony finger board is certainly a 74. These came with speed knobs and "thumb bleeders" ( knob pointers).

Nice looking guitar! I had a right handed one as my first nice guitar I ever owned. Love the Bill Lawrence Tarbacks.

Congratulations

beefyburt likes this.
  5. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Nice condition Norlin SG and nice case too.

beefyburt likes this.
  6. beefyburt

beefyburt Member

Thanks for this. I've seen some '73 guitars with the bridge close to the pickup, so not sure that's a given for a '74. But definitely not original knobs and pointers are missing. Cheers.

7. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

If it's a fake, it's a damned good one !
    Congrats !

beefyburt and DanB like this.
  8. Mick

Mick Member

Just because the screw holes line up dosen't mean its the original guard. It looks wrong to me- the shape, the pointy edges that are usually rounded, the thin 2/3? ply, the way its cut, look nothing like a pickguard from that era of SG's. Have a look at the guard on this '73, that is what the original guard would have been like
    http://www.hendrixguitars.com/Lh779.htm
    Also, your SG originally would have had a "Treble Rhythm" Switchwasher. Look at your pickguard, the edge of it would be sitting on top of the switchwasher if it were there.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    beefyburt likes this.
  9. DanB

DanB Member

As a fellow left handed SG player, i congratulate you on your purchase. Love the color, you'll have to let us know how it sounds

beefyburt likes this.
  10. beefyburt

beefyburt Member

Yeah I see what you mean, but under the two ply pickguard there seems to be only one area of original finish, and there is no sign of there been a pickup selector ring. I agree it looks wrong but I can live with that.

11. beefyburt

beefyburt Member

Hello lefty! Thanks for your comment. It sounds fantastic, lots of grunt. Already started to take it apart to clean it up.

DanB likes this.
  12. HackeIommi

HackeIommi Member

Good shot! Congratulations!! I played an early 70's walnut SG with a single dog ear P90 about a year ago. That was a damn good monster of sustain guitar! Your guitar looks better and I am sure sounds better!

13. Mick

Mick Member

WD Music make great replicas of the old 70's pickguards. Actually I saw a left handed one going fairly cheap on Ebay-
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/WD-Pickgua...rentrq:e6da859616a0a9cb1fa2c57affa946db|iid:1

beefyburt likes this.
  14. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Ebony board puts it between mid/late 1973 and mid 1975. The wider pickup spacing narrows it between early/mid 1974 and mid 1975. More info:

https://solidguitar.fandom.com/wiki/SG_Standard#1973-1979

https://solidguitar.fandom.com/wiki/Dating#Other_Changes

beefyburt likes this.
  15. beefyburt

beefyburt Member

16. bgh

bgh New Member

Same here - another left-handed (Norlin) SG player. I hope you will like yours as much as I like mine. Mine has been through the wringer multiple times. Lots of battle scars on it. Yet, it is my favorite guitar to play.

DanB likes this.