Gibson Sg Custom 1973

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Poor Jim, May 30, 2019.

1. Poor Jim

Poor Jim New Member

Hey people!

I’ve been looking for a nice vintage SG for a while now. Found a 1973 SG Custom from a local store where I live. Felt great, sounded great! My only concern is the small crack in the peghead. It’s been profesionally fixed and also refretted.

I don’t have a lot of experience of vintage SG’s so I would apreciate all the advices I can get.

The asking price is 2250€ - is this a OK price for this?

You can find pictures and more info about the guitar from here:https://www.kitarapaja.com/gibson-sg-custom-1973

Thanks in advance!

2. HackeIommi

HackeIommi Active Member

Hi Jim! Welcome aboard. In my opinion, the guitar is good but the price is wrong. For 2250 € or less, you can find good vintage SGs from the '70s without cracks on eBay.

DanB likes this.
  3. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Active Member

Agree with this. I picked up very very clean '74 Standard for $1300 USD a few months back. Not exactly apples to apples but it gives you an idea. There are bargains out there if you're patient.

DanB and PermissionToLand like this.
  4. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

I'm surprised by that. Not long ago, that was a typical price for a Norlin Standard. Now you even see people paying over $2k for the '71 Deluxe, arguably the most disliked SG ever.

However, Norlin Customs seem to be pretty desired, and as I recall, still hovered around $2k before the current bubble.

5. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

I just snapped up a '74 Standard with original hardshell case for $1100 with no breaks or cracks (or so they say .... I'll find out soon enough). Most are listed around $1700 - $2000 range often without the original case, cheaper with repaired necks. So like Hakkelommi said, a bargain can pop up if you are patient and a little lucky. Seems like the early / mid 70s SGs are probably the best value in "vintage" SGs (using the >30 years old definition). Now that I own one I want that to change, of course. :smile:

PermissionToLand likes this.
  6. PermissionToLand

I think you're being tongue in cheek, but I don't worry about what my guitars are worth. When you buy used, they tend to hold about the same value for the most part and that's good enough for me. The few ones I have sold went for a little under the going rate and sold quickly. If I can pass on a deal to some kid like I was when buying my first Gibson, great. I don't want to be part of the inflation that keeps decent guitars out of the hands of real players (and onto the stands/wall hangers of collectors). As they say, "pay it forward" when you get a good deal.

7. Steve D

I was being tongue in cheek, I am not a guitar flipper and I hear you. On the other I do care about value a little because I have very limited space and a wife who doesn't consider guitars a good use of it so I in general have a 1-in, 1-out policy. Guess that makes me the opposite of a collector. Anyway when I thin the herd I don't try to get rich but if I do sell I don't want to take a loss either. That's why I stay away from imports and the like, really only buy USA made guitars and lately only Gibson SGs because that's what I play. If I break even after enjoying the guitar for a time, that's cool. And frankly, if this thing comes in its as advertised but I just don't bond with it, it will go to someone else. I really want a vintage SG again but it has to feel right. I hope this one is a keeper but when you buy online ya never know.

8. PermissionToLand

Yeah, I just played a temptingly priced '71 Special but couldn't get over the narrow nut. Also, it needed frets badly.

Steve D likes this.
  9. Steve D

Exactly. I can't play this until it shows up, after I bought it. But I could wait years for a deal like that to walk into a local Guitar Center or show up on Craigslist so I take chances for things I could otherwise not have. As long as it's not an instant 40% depreciation item (like a new MIM Strat) it's okay to take some risks of "don't like it". The neck of the 70s is reportedly very different than I've played before so I may love it ... and I may hate it. If I hate it, it goes. If it goes, my wife don't wanna hear "look, I know we lost $400 but I learned something about 70s SGs!"

10. PermissionToLand

Considering what people are asking for vintage SGs these days, you could easily break even if you don't like it.

flognoth and Steve D like this.