Gibson SG Disc Capacitors

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by skeeterbuck, Aug 12, 2016.

1. 67plexi

67plexi Well-Known Member

I have a capacitor tester that up to 500 volts can be applied for testing some test bad but not the ones I put in my guitars.
    I sure as hell wouldn't ever use the capacitor tester on my Fluke VOM.
    to each his or her own.

2. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Well-Known Member

Yeah in amps caps really start to matter, running 100s of volts across them. Read some weird stories of strange oscillations in amps with iffy caps etc. The stories from soul tramp on mlp are interesting.

But in guitars no one has proven with double blind testing that anyone can hear the difference in various types of cap (same value). It's your money to spend, but there's better ways you could spend it. I think you should spend money on the shielded wire, the pots, the switch, the jack, the tuners, the bridge, the nut, and the frets before you spend $10 on a cap.

Raiyn, WavMixer and smitty_p like this.
  3. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

That looks so "right" :cool:. Did you clean up the wiring?

4. GTSG

GTSG Active Member

My take also. Its subjective for sure and probably more so than pick-ups. They will make more of a difference in amps do to heat and vibration but ironically the ferroelectrics in ceramic really doesn't change while the same isn't true for paper this is part of the sound in the tube amplification. Guitars don't have the heat/vibration issue but still do microphonics, the most significant factor appears to be thus the voltage. At least from all the tech reading this appears true.

5. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

I was just thinking...how come we always talk about the tone caps in the guitar, but rarely talk about the tone caps in the amplifier? I know they've been mentioned a bit in this thread, but that usually is not the case.

Hmmmm.......

6. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

Yes. I, for one, think you should definitely put some bumblebees in it. I'm not talking capacitors...I'm talking the flying, stinging insect!

Controversy....started!

My work here is done.

eS.G., WavMixer and ScottMarlowe like this.
  7. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

For amp use, it seems like ceramics are very questionable. The vibration of a loud amp, combo or head, is enough to destabilize the cap. Heat should be an issue, too. Amp heat affecting the components is even greater with designs where the chassis is above the tubes or poor ventilation.

This is probably why in old amps some tend to sound quite a bit different after being on and vibrating for awhile... :hmm:

ivan H and ScottMarlowe like this.
  8. GTSG

GTSG Active Member

This is perhaps the easiest and best way to test the difference in caps for a guitar. It could have been more informative if he tested the same values as he showed at the end.

That said I do the same with Rails as he did below with bright humbuckers thus .047 opposed to .022.

9. WavMixer

WavMixer Well-Known Member

How about some tropical fish in your amp? Start cranking the amp and make the place smell like H. Salt Fish and Chips.

10. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

mmmmm fish and chips......

11. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Active Member

When I redid the electronics In my SG's I was able to use NOS ceramic disc capacitors I found on ebay (Sprague .02uf@50v) for a couple bucks each. The tested value on one was .023uf and the other had drifted to .017uf which was perfect The only way that I would pay "big bucks" for a bumble bee type tone capacitor would be if I needed one for an original LP for some reason. Since I can't ever see me owning an original LP that makes it a moot point.