Gibson SG LE 24 Fret

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by tony1852, Jun 11, 2018.

1. tony1852

tony1852 New Member

So I got my first SG 2 years ago and really haven't played it much. It was a 24 fret LE with a Classic 57 in the bridge and Mini Firebird in the neck. Neck is super slim D. Grew up playing Ibanez RG type guitar, but have Les Paul types as well, including a 2016 Studio HP. My biggest issue with the guitar is the sound. I'm a hard rock/metal fan (mid 70's to late 80's primarily), and this guitar just doesn't seem to capture that sound. My thought is that the Classic 57 just doesn't have enough punch. So I have two options: get a different SG or swap out the bridge pickup. I hear good things about the Iommi pickups and also the Epiphone Iommi. Would an Iommi work in this guitar, or should I sell this Gibson and grab the Epiphone. Any other pickup work for the bridge and pair with the Mini Firebird? Thoughts??? GIBSON SG LE.jpg

papagayo, ratsalad and SG standard like this.
  2. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

How about a Dimarzio Super Distortion? 57’s and SD’s are my favorite humbuckers.

I play hard rock and metal on my Danelectro U2 with lipstick pickups.

I miss the wizard 2 neck on my old Ibanez...

3. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

What kind of amp are you using?

I dont think tou can go wrong with P90s, they can be described countless ways obviously but one way i think of them is a hard driven single coil. Like a strat style pup on steroids or acid.

4. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

What about a semour Duncan pearly gates. It sure captures that Acdc / ZZ Top sounds for me

5. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Active Member

I''d consider a Gibson 500T.

tom

6. Susihukkanen

Susihukkanen Well-Known Member

Have you tried raising the pup closer to the strings?

7. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Personally, for that style of music, I'd be tempted to stick one of the more extreme Railhammers in the bridge (Chisel/Anvil), and keep the SG's character by adding a P90 in the neck. But I guess, having a batwing means you could just buy a new guard for a quick swap back to original, and have a pair of humbuckers on the new guard.

Whatever, that's a great looking SG you've got - and welcome to the forum. :)

8. tony1852

tony1852 New Member

Kinda of new to forums in general, so not sure if this is the best way to respond. So I'll hit everyone back at once. First off, thanks everyone for responding!!

Dimarzio SD in an SG? Can't go wrong with that pickup, but looking to put an SD in my Ibanez Destroyer. Would it go better in the SG? Right now, I have a Tone Zone in the Destroyer that I really do not like, too muddy.

Primary amp is a Line 6 DT-50 212 combo with a POD 500HDX because it's the smallest thing I have. It's modeling but also real tube driven. But also have a Peavey JSX and Marshall Mode Four heads on either a 4x12 V30 or GK100 cabinets. Yes, I know. What's a 45 year old hack doing with these things LOL!

Pearly Gates seems a little soft for me. Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Sabbath, Ozzy, Dio, Def Leppard, early thrash stuff Megadeth, Anthrax, Metallica. Then a few oddballs like Empire Hideous and Fields of the Nephilim.

500T. Yes, have thought about that one. Anyone know how it compares to an Iommi? I've heard some V's with the 500T and liked them.

Raise the 57 closer to the strings? Nope, haven't tried that. But that will be my first test move now. Any suggestions? Will that make any difference in the tone or just the volume?

Not familiar at all with Railhammers. I'll have to do some research. Never really listened to a P90 guitar for neck. I'd like to keep the mini humbucker in the neck because it' supposed to maintain the 'sweet spot' pickup placement with the extra 2 frets on this guitar. Challenge may be to be able to balance a hot humbucker in the bridge and mini humbucker in the neck.

Thoughts on the Epiphone Iommi for hard rock/metal? Is it close to as good as a real Gibson? I've heard some really good things about Epiphone G400 guitars, but not so great things about others. I'm also eyeing an Epiphone Prophecy SG, the older one with Dirty Fingers. Gibson Gothic Morte SGs look interesting too. I can always keep this one as is or sell. Best yet, I should probably shut up and play more lol!

I'll play this one a bit more and play with the pickup adjustment and see how it sounds and feels.

Thanks for the help and suggestions again!

9. Curt8771

Curt8771 Active Member

I'd reccomend D activator or a JB, I play all that stuff too. Have the JB in an epi SG and the d activator in an RG 565. Both are excellent pickups.

10. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Dirtyfingers!
    [​IMG]
    Caution! these require use of volume and tone controls for maximum benefit.

11. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    My favorite Humbucker.

12. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

I won’t buy one of them just because the name is stupid.

13. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Maybe install some covers.

pancake81 likes this.