Gibson SG naked

Discussion in 'eBay Deals' started by WVsg83, Nov 7, 2017.

1. WVsg83

WVsg83 New Member

Dual P90s and no guard. Looks like a deal from Sweetwater.

$698 on sale

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SGN16N5CH

not sure if that's the going rate or not but looks pretty good to me.

2. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Certainly looks like a good deal... Not sure it's good news for Gibson that their 'limited run' models keep showing up at clearance prices, but it's good for all of us!

3. Notabot

Notabot Member

I have one, got it "on sale" from GC. Not a wide neck, in fact, it is a very narrow fretboard. The profile is ok, but it feels very small in your hand. With that said, it still plays fine and sounds like you think it would with those magnificent P90s.

4. NomeX

NomeX New Member

Man... Just when I really can't... I like my 2013 Future Tribute in Chocolate, and this would fit in so well, with the P90's, 24 Frets, no rings or PG and the natural finish. I just saw this as well. I wonder how the neck would compare to my 60's Asymetrical that I love so much on my Future Tribute?

Oh well, I shall have to comfort myself knowing I need to pickup a Fender Stagemaster 7 and an Epi G-400 that I need to pick up this weekend. It looks more and more like a G-400 Pro (maybe a 1966) since it has a set neck, batwing, and what appears to be the "Custom Limited" circle logo (pictures were not clear on the back).

Looks like a great deal.

5. Lynurd Fireburd

Lynurd Fireburd Active Member

Dead link or sold out?

6. Notabot

Notabot Member

It was there this morning! I'm guessing sold out...

7. NomeX

NomeX New Member

THANK GOODNESS... Best wishes to the new owner! You saved me money and an argument!

LDS, WVsg83, rotorhead and 1 other person like this.
  8. drown

drown Well-Known Member

IMG_4062.JPG I got one of these earlier this summer. It's really glorious sounding with those P90s and gorgeous.

cerebral gasket and rotorhead like this.
  9. New_SG_Fan

New_SG_Fan New Member

I really love the walnut version of this guitar. Really looking for a dual humbucker setup though. Is modding this to humbuckers a crazy idea if I manage to find one? Considering just buying a new standard but love the natural matte finish on this and hate pickguards.

10. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Mini-hums are same size as P-90”s. Keep the P-90 in the neck for cleans and drop a mini-hum in the bridge for noiseless high gain.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  11. drown

drown Well-Known Member

It's a crazy idea. The P90s are awesome in this. Also make sure you like thin, narrow necks. The new 2018 special has a similar finish in a humbucker. Also the 2014 SGJ has a nice dark satin chocolate finish with nice humbuckers. It's also available for between 4-500$ I'd look at those or look into putting some P90 sized humbuckers into it.

12. New_SG_Fan

New_SG_Fan New Member

thanks for the info. I found a few SGJs on line I'm considering but would prefer to buy used locally if I can find one. 2018 special has the minihumbuckers, not familiar with those but I'll look into it. Taking another look at the 2018 standard too. Tear drop guard doesnt look too bad with the autumn shade finish and Im ok with that price point. Didnt think Id ever want one of these horny beasts but picked one up at GC the other day and its going to replace the strat as my go to instrument.

13. drown

drown Well-Known Member

Hell yes it will. Soon you'll have more than one, guaranteed. Where are you located? Pretty much everywhere I go theres at least one SGJ selling on Craigslist for under 500$. But beware they are definitely a gateway drug