Gibson SG retro mod

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Herbie74w, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Herbie74w

Herbie74w Member

C11475F2-87A7-43C5-AAF2-50325D41BA57.jpeg I have posted pictures of the guitar before and was asked to create is own thread. My lust after a vintage Pelham blue SG started with Lenny. After looking and realizing I would never be able to afford the 20k plus standard. I bought a 1966 Pelham blue melody maker.
    83F0F5CC-80B7-449A-A116-0C1D47BAD769.jpeg
    The guitar didn’t have a lot of original parts. The pots, pickguard and tuners were all aftermarket. I decided to put a Seymour Duncan antiquity PAF and had Dan at MojoAxe cut a new guard.
    A6353F8B-B1CE-43E6-A209-D2765AB31FE2.jpeg I also got a new bridge from Dan.
    FFA4822A-3BFF-4508-94B4-E49E1318ACAC.jpeg After this it sounded great but the skinny nut and weird neck shape kept it from being perfect. I had Lay’s guitar (the same shop that worked on Page’s number one) reneck the guitar using the same fretboard and truss rod. I was torn whether or not I should do that to a vintage guitar. So I decided if I was going to do it it had to be something Gibson could have built. So I made it an SG melody maker special using the period correct binding, headstock inlays and tort shell fret makers.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  2. Herbie74w

Herbie74w Member

3. Herbie74w

Herbie74w Member

AFDD438E-5CDA-41B1-9C59-C01CEC778EED.jpeg One more picture

4. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Active Member

Looks great! Did that bridge come with the mounting hardware as well? If so do you have a link as to where I can get that same setup?

5. Herbie74w

Herbie74w Member

6. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Active Member

7. Herbie74w

Herbie74w Member

AF415921-7539-4F09-B1A0-48D0C19768BF.jpeg One question I have and please don’t burn me, have I increased or decreased it’s value?

8. HackeIommi

HackeIommi Active Member

I am not an expert. You said:

IMHO guitar wasn't stock already. After the great job you've done, there is no way to decrease the value. :cheers: Increase? well depent on the price you bought I think. But as I said, I am not an expert.

I like the neck shape too. Seems like a good, round, user friendly and slim neck!

9. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

The value of this instrument is in its appearance, uniqueness and playability. Guitars in any form are a lousy investment unless you get Lenny Kravitz to play it and wait 30 years. On the other hand you get to play that beauty and tell its story.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    flognoth likes this.
  10. dub-setter

dub-setter Well-Known Member

what a beauty !!

11. Herbie74w

Herbie74w Member

Good point at the end of the day I have a guitar that is perfect for me. My kids can figure out value after I am gone. Lol. I would be very happy if I’ve done no harm to it and it gets played long after I’m done with it.

Biddlin likes this.
  12. realcooldude

realcooldude Member

I don’t know how much it would have been worth in mint condition and considering that it had already been modded, I don’t think you really did much to reduce the value. If anything I’d pay more for the awesome guitar it is now than I would have for that melody maker. Then again I’m not a cork sniffer or a collector. Seriously, it looks like a fantastic instrument now.

13. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

You know, some people get hung up on originality and insist that any modifications inherently devalue. However, I disagree, particularly in cases like this where you clearly put thought into it, didn't stray too far from what could have been a Gibson manufacture, and the work was done with high quality.

I think, were you to sell it, if you explained your thought process behind it in the ad just like this, you would have no trouble selling it for a similar or slightly higher price than a stock one.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  14. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

Imagine the threads here 60 years from now when I'm an old cork-sniffer with as many guitars as Relic61; "What is this SG? Is it a copy? Did I get ripped off?" Then people like me will remember this guitar and complain about the last database loss in which it was wiped out, and try to use the wayback machine to give some sort of explanation of it.

Anyway, I would actually pay more for that than a stock melody maker. The mods are choice, and while it was closer to stock than it is now, that is a more playable, cooler guitar than a melody maker. Which would you get more compliments on; the "stock" melody maker, or the guitar you have made it into?

PermissionToLand and dub-setter like this.
  15. Herbie74w

Herbie74w Member

I was thinking about writing out what was done on a piece of paper and sticking it into the control cavity or writing on the back of the control cover. But I like your scenario better!!

16. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

This is a very nice MM, mods are very clean.

17. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

Thanks Logan. All I'm gonna say is enjoy life while yer peckers work & 'having a good bowel movement' means you used the toilet today & you don't have to change the bed linen. Ah you youngsters got it made I tell ya.

Heck, I'm so old I remember when a tranny was part of a guitar amplifier & Caitlin Jenner was a mens Olympian named Bruce smilin on a box of Wheaties!

Logan likes this.
  18. Herbie74w

Herbie74w Member

I’m so old I can’t remember that! Lol