Gibson SG Special Question

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by CCC, May 31, 2017.

1. CCC

CCC Member

Hello All,

I'm a bit of a 60 SG nut. Have slowly been building a bit of a collection of SGs (1963 Standard, 64 Junior, 16 61 reissue).

I ADORE EVERYTHING about my 63 and 64. The Junior that I have has blown me away. I play through a mid 60 Princeton Reverb most of the time with the Junior and I seem to gravitate more towards a 1974x Marshall with the standard.

So, I'm now at the point where I'd like to look for something that won't break the bank (no more 63 standards in great shape).

I'm currently leaning towards a 68 or 69 Special. Good idea? Or, should I drop some more coin and look for an earlier one? I got on You Tube and listened to some 68s and they just sounded AMAZING.

Any/All advise would be much appreciated. Cost, concerns to look out for, neck issues...etc. One year better than other....Anything. I'm a newby

Thanks all,

Chris

2. Kep

Kep Well-Known Member

Depends what you like. You have a lot of the waterfront covered with your current set.
    What about a 67 Special? P90s and bathtub body route with Batwing - might be nice.
    Any late 60s special might give you some unique options.

I love my 65 but man I wish it had deeper frets. I am literally considering having it refretted but can't decide if i just need to get used to it or if I can't live with it the way it is.

3. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Look for a used SG Classic.
    Bound neck with dot inlays, batwing, two P-90's.
    It's a reissue of a late 1960's Special, but with TOM bridge and full width nut (1-11/16).

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  4. CCC

CCC Member

Thank you both for responding. Hear you on the reissue and the 65 sounds great....... IDK. I'm a bit lost right now with what to do. I think it'll just have to be something that is from the 60s. I was thinking a late 60s to help keep costs down but I just started looking and I'm not seeing A TON of them. Reverb had 46 60s Specials for sale. At the end of the day, I'm just excited! I ADORE the JR tone and CAN NOT WAIT to hear the Special come thru the amp....Sorry. Rambling. Excited!

5. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

The ones you listed in your collection (1963, 1964, 2016) have the full-width nut.
    If you opt for a 1965-1969 it will have the narrow nut.

Something to consider if you have a preference for one or the other.

6. CCC

CCC Member

Great point. I've been thinking about that item highly. The reason I purchased those guitars was because of the 1 11/16 (if memory serves) at the nut width. That said, I wouldn't mind adding the narrower width to what I have. Mix it up a little.......

Does anyone know if the P90 changes at all throughout the 60s? Any big sound differences?