Gibson SG Studio ?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by littlerockdevil, Apr 29, 2018.

1. littlerockdevil

littlerockdevil New Member

Hi folks !
    I wondered why Gibson SG don't have any Studio models ? (Yeah .. an existential question ! ahah) and so thinking about what they would look like.
    Such as Les Paul , Firebird or some ES models : Is it similar to Special models ?
    Thanks !

2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Vintage 1960's SG Specials would be equivalent to LP Special. Both have P-90's, bound necks with dots, small bean tuners.

The SG Special has gone through so many changes over the years with different appointments.

Take an SG 60's Tribute... add either a small guard or batwing and there's your SG Studio equivalent to an LP Studio. Two humbuckers, unbound neck with trapezoids.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    littlerockdevil and Roca like this.
  3. Roca

Roca Active Member

Sounds just like my epi g400 pro 66 reissue.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  4. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Typically, the 'Studio' models are stripped down in details such as body binding or carved tops (in the case of the Firebird, the raised centre body section), which the SG doesn't have to begin with. Other details, such as block inlays and bound fretboards are typically absent on the SG Special & Faded models, so I guess there isn't room for three 'stripped down' models in the small SG range. Of course, there's the question as to why they used the Faded name rather than making it a Studio... My guess is the Studio name is keep for those instruments with more significant reductions in specification than just finish.

littlerockdevil likes this.
  5. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Studios are stripped down models intended for use in the studio. To me, they are tools meant to be played anywhere you see fit to do so.

LP Studios have carved tops with unbound bodies and necks with trapezoids. LP Specials have flat tops, unbound bodies with bound necks and dots.

1970's SG Specials had unbound necks with small blocks.

In 2002, the Faded series began. During the 2000's there were SG Specials being produced in both Gloss and Faded finishes. Unbound necks with dots were typical on SG Specials during this era.

1970's small blocks made a comeback on the SG Special 2016 T with a satin finish. So we actually have several stripped down versions of the SG Special to date.

From 1971-2018, SG Specials got really confusing and that would require another thread to explain.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  6. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Welcome to ETSG!
    I would consider the SG faded special to be "roughly" equivalent to a "Studio" model...

I believe the concept is to offer the same instrument for a lower price, attracting a different
    (and more numerous) buying clientele. Gibson wisdom has always been that the elite guitars
    (meaning the fancy expensive ones loaded with inlays, finer woodwork, hotter pickups)
    gain the company prestige while the more plain and less expensive models pay the bills and
    keep the employees working.... AND make great music.

I have two SG specials, one faded and one with "satin" finish. Both were purchased at about $600
    and both are excellent. The savings comes from the lack of the vaunted Gibson Deep Gloss, which
    costs the company more to execute. Additional savings comes from unbound necks and headstock,
    plain dot or rectangle inlays. So the detailing that's missing is cosmetic only, and has no effect on
    tone. Guys who want the extra detailing will pay five hundred dollars more for the same instrument.
    Gibsons are generally worth it.

For decades this has proven to be a great and successful business concept.
    There are many of us who prefer a more plain "working man's SG"
    and we get excellent choices, be they Epiphones or faded finish Gibsons.
    And there are other guitarists who want something more... AND
    who have the extra money to spend on Gibson elegance.
    They also get great choices...
    SG Supremes, SG Artist Sig models, SG '61 revisited, the list goes on.

There you have it. Ya want SG tones without breaking the bank?
    Get a used SG faded special from about 2007. Or one of the SGJ models
    from about 2013.
    Hard to beat.

7. littlerockdevil

littlerockdevil New Member

Hi guys,
    Thanks for your answers, everyone !
    That sheds some light on it ;)

8. Gibbo SG

Gibbo SG Active Member

My Gibson SG Special 70s tribute with.minis, a large peghead and small block inlays, that's my SG Studio. I even found a ttc that has the word "Studio" printed on it.

9. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Member

I really like the binding on my sgs but its s nice to have.

Some really nice sg specials with hp features from 2016 are on sale brand new.