Gibson SG Xtra Slim, anyone got one? Educate me!

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by sazista, May 9, 2016.

1. sazista

sazista Active Member

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  2. gball

gball Well-Known Member

I have no experience with them but it looks damn nice if you are looking for a thin neck, and I am digging the dot inlays. I personally have trouble with thinner necks and gravitate towards '50's profiles but I would definitely check that one out if thin was my thing.

3. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Edit: double post

4. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    I'd check it carefully before buying. SG necks are long and unsupported, and I'm not convinced that making them even thinner is a great idea. For me they are already approaching an acceptable limit of whippiness.

jtcnj likes this.
  5. sazista

sazista Active Member

Got it. I've heard such comments before. My only experience has been on my Epi 310, which has no problems whatsoever, and my Gibson Special (which I don't like at all). I'll check it out live. There is one listed here in Santiago, Chile for relatively less than most Gibsons. ALL guitars are expensive here, so it is nice to find something not so costly!

6. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I played one recently and it was very nice. Just don't use the neck as tremolo or leave it sitting against the wall and you should be OK. I like the thin neck, but would like it more if made of maple...........

eS.G. and donepearce like this.
  7. donepearce

Maple is definitely the answer here. Mahogany is just barely up to the job.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  8. donepearce

I've just been looking up the properties of various woods, and I reckon hickory would be ideal. About the same weight as maple, but quite a lot stiffer.

9. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Cool idea. Would love to try one made of hickory.

10. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

The recent G400 I received from dbb has a very thin neck I really like it but ---as stated it is very prone to movement-----I had owned one previously that is now the property of Six String --- I tell you wwe pass guitars around this forum like hippie chicks at a love in---- ANYWAY----
    thin neck= TOUCHY sensitive to string changes.....how its stored....humidity and temp changes all sorts of stuff effect it that dont other things like Telecasters and baseball bats lol

That said it is my FAVORITE neck to play. gball to give you an idea it is thinner and more "C" shaped than the Future Tribute --- not by much---but noticeably enough.

58pit likes this.
  11. sazista

sazista Active Member

Wow, sounds more appetizing by the minute! I will try and get my hands on one to test. If this one in Chile is sold already it's very unlikely that I'll find another. The market here is small and WAY overpriced!

12. bobbiehart2013

bobbiehart2013 Active Member

I have this guitar, I bought it on the spot by chance in March, 2016 and it is a 2015 Model, I was in the store not intending to buy anything, tried the guitar and instantly knew there was something different about it ( as in great) I saw the XTRA Slim on the tag, so I had the kid look it up on the computer and it was the Limited Run Xtra Slim which I had remembered seeing on Gibson's website when it first came out, well that neck felt sooooo good I had the wife wait with "guard" the guitar while I raced to the bank and got the cash, those Slims were so dammed hard to find I thought nobody else is getting that sucker, it's mine !!! loved it then, love it now. End of story

13. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I have not handled one of these before, but the deal breaker for me is the 1.55" nut width.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  14. cerebral gasket

Delete.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  15. Dave

Dave Well-Known Member

From the specs it appears that Xtra Slim is also referring to the nut width. 1.55 is really narrow. Even though I have small hands I would have issues with that narrow of a nut.

16. cerebral gasket

I discovered that same thing about the narrow nut recently.
    The narrow nut feels like the outer strings do not have enough fingerboard underneath them.
    That extra 1/8 inch really makes a difference when using same string spacing.

Really wanted an older SG and found one, but could not get along with the narrow nut.
    So took it back and exchanged it for a pre-1965 one with the full width nut.

Dave likes this.
  17. bjunior

bjunior Member

I have a LP and a SG faded 2017. Both have a slim taper neck but the neck on the SG feels much thinner than on the LP. Therefore please try in your local guitar shop the current SG line especially the Faded.

18. Kjetil Steensnaes

Kjetil Steensnaes New Member

Any experience with neck being unstable or fragile in any way?

19. bobbiehart2013

bobbiehart2013 Active Member

No, I can only state from my personal viewpoint. Other Sg's (I'm guessing regular width neck's) felt terrible to me. Much too wide and quite frankly if it weren't for the slim neck /great feel of this one I probably would have never bought one, although I have always admired their look.

20. gmel1084

gmel1084 New Member

if you're looking to sell let me know