Gibson USA SG 2019 Models?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by flognoth, May 28, 2018.

1. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

I suspect he's referring to the body carve; on the 2018 & on the Standard 2019 the carve is more like the SGs of the 70s than the early 60's, especially the shallow carve around the horns. Of course, it's a matter of personal preference which you prefer, but it's a matter of history which shape looks like a typical '61.

Easier to see in these shots from Gibson; see how the bevel on the horn reaches down to the pick guard on the '61:

2018:
    [​IMG]

2019 '61:
    [​IMG]

[And my apologies to all who find the topic of bevels, carves and scarfs distasteful on an SG forum]

2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Looks like they brought back the ABR-1 on the 2019 '61. They keep flip flopping every few years between ABR-1 and Nashville on these models.

Note the crown inlay placement on the 2019 '61, it's now at the same location as the Standard. In the past, when looking at an SG with small guard and trapezoid inlays, one could identify if it was a '61 RI by looking at the headstock. The '61 RI had a wider headstock with crown inlay placed closer to the headstock logo compared to the Standards.

The line between a '61 RI and Standard is starting to blur when they begin to share the exact same features. Maybe we will see a '61 RI with a batwing and rounded neck in the near future.

As I said before, Reissues are not replicas of originals, and some features are omitted and updated, but at some point when certain distinct features are changed, it no longer identifies with the original in any sense.

I doubt any of these trivial details are going to be a deciding factor for someone looking to purchase a new SG who is not familiar with the history and evolution of the SG. A little tweak here or there, it's essentially the same guitar and is just something to give the forums something to discuss, or not.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    SG standard likes this.
  3. SG standard

To be fair, I think Gibson have moved away from the 'Reissue' concept here, and are making something that just nods it's head in the direction of '61 :) I mean, it's got an SG trc, and they're also not calling it a Les Paul. :)

Personally I quite like this idea, and I guess it leaves space for the Custom Shop to do the retentive, errrr, I mean accurate Reissues for $$$$. But I think they could've called the 'other' 2019 Standard a '69 Standard (or some such), and perhaps if the SGs are selling well, the new CEO would then see fit to introduce a '7x Standard too, with all the best Norlin features.

4. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

It's great that we have all these choices, but it is overwhelming at times.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    arcticsg and lawrev like this.
  5. Lunacy the Faded

Lunacy the Faded Active Member

The Junior is sick I got one in cherry too, here's a look at the super clean top route

Attached Files:

lawrev likes this.
  6. Lunacy the Faded

Lunacy the Faded Active Member

The DC was an SG at one point, here's photos of my cherry junior!! Screenshot_20180905-204952.png Screenshot_20180905-204917.png Screenshot_20180905-204924.png

7. drown

drown Well-Known Member

I want a blue DC JR

Lunacy the Faded likes this.
  8. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

If only it were. I have been praying Gibson would do a proper '69 Reissue my whole life and they simply don't seem to care. Aside from all the other missing features of a real Batwing SG, giving it that horrible orangey-red finish is just bullshit. Apologies to any Standard owners out there, but Batwing SGs should be a dark - almost Wine - Red, or Walnut.

[​IMG]

9. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

I like the new 2019 Gibson SG Standard '61,

Nice Vintage Cherry finish, cream neck binding, Nickel-plated hardware, ABR-1 Gibson TOM bridge, Original '61 body shape with small pickguard, awesome SG imho :smile:

Congrats Gibson ! :cheers:

SouthpawKen and arcticsg like this.
  10. No_Class

No_Class Member

Awesome!!! "The sg"!!!!

PermissionToLand likes this.
  11. MP4-22

MP4-22 Member

The 61's RI's body shape, color, binding, nickel hardware, knobs, neck profile and tuners are different then an 18 standard.... quite a difference. The big headstock of days past looked kinda goofy IMO.

12. PermissionToLand

Actually, the 2018 Standard T did have a Slim Taper neck. But otherwise, you are right.

13. andreax1985

andreax1985 New Member

Gibson moved 61r and 61t pickups up in their line on the SG 61' reissue and placed 490s on the standard. Is this a downgrade of the standard?

14. semka

semka New Member

The sound of pickups is subjective, but value-wise, yes, 2019 Standard is a rather significant downgrade with lower costing parts, limited colors, lack of hard case, etc.

rotorhead likes this.
  15. andreax1985

andreax1985 New Member

What are the lower costing parts on the '19 standard?

16. andreax1985

andreax1985 New Member

17. semka

semka New Member

For one, 490s are the least expensive Gibson's pickups.

18. andreax1985

andreax1985 New Member

Unlike 490s, 57 classics etc... you can't buy 61r and 61t as spare parts, is it correct?

19. PermissionToLand

I'm not sure you understand what the term "value" means (and no offense, it's a common misconception). If you get more features for more money, the value has not changed. The value only increases if you get more features for less money than they would cost otherwise. At $300 less than the '61, the Standard only trades '57s for 490s, Nickel for Chrome and and the ABR for a Nashville. None of those are even objective downgrades, they are all subjective. I personally prefer the Nashville, and really could care less whether it's nickel or chrome. And the pickups are just different. Just because Gibson charges more for '57s doesn't mean they are objectively better pickups. For somebody who wants a lot of high end definition and/or plays heavy metal, the '57s would actually be worse pickups. And the '57 only costs $50 more than the 490 buying through Gibson. So that's a $300 upcharge on the '61 for pickups that would otherwise be $100 more. That said, factoring in the deeper beveling and other small changes, I'd say the value is about equal between the two. They're both fine deals.

SG standard likes this.
  20. SG standard

It's funny how people often seem to consider the 490R/498T to be some kind of 'budget' pickup, just because there's a small difference in price. Clearly, Gibson don't think of it as such - this was the most expensive SG in their 2017 range, a $3,299 SG Custom, to which Gibson fitted 490R/498T pickups - I'm sure stretching to a pair of Classic '57s wouldn't have made that guitar unaffordable, and clearly it wasn't any kind of budget model that needed 'cheap' parts!

FWIW, I've come to prefer the 498T in the bridge position, and the '57 in the neck. Regardless of price. :)

PermissionToLand and arcticsg like this.