Gibson Victory - any love?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Dave_Death, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

There is one Gibson besides an SG that I have serious GAS for. The Victory. Anyone here got love for them?

Danny Coralles from Autopsy/Abscess has played the same one for 25 years, used and abused it in studio, practice room, and tour. Never seen footage of him without it, except for some photos where he's playing a custom someone gave him (I guess he was being polite). He's got EMGs and a Floyd, not sure when it acquired those but I suspect back in 1988 or earlier because it always looks the same. Also Autopsy tuned pretty low back in 1988; I've seen it written as C standard tuning in some places, and 'slightly lower' than C# standard somewhere else. Makes me wonder if it is C# standard 432Hz ... I will have to try it and see.

[​IMG]

bwotw and milesdeem like this.
  2. milesdeem

milesdeem Well-Known Member

I've only seen them in ads/brochures/pics. Nice pic BTW. The facial expression is appropo....
    EMG's?!!.....the original pickup's musta been too muddy tuned that low maybe?

3. Dave_Death

Yeah I guess so ... SGs were also the big thing back in 1988-89 and I don't think any of the then available passive alternatives could get near them. A bit different now.

I don't know what pickups it would have had originally ... I'm guessing 496R/500T

I don't know as if clarity was their #1 priority ... there are two guitars, Danny is the one playing the solos with the divebombs, the other guitar was usually an old Ibanez Destroyer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1on9_JYgTLU

There's only one for sale on Ebay, over $3K

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Free-Shipping-Gibson-victory-MV-/151530226461

4. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

Nope, Tim Shaw designed "special designed" is the only official description..500T/496R hadn't debuted yet...
    http://www.vintageguitarandbass.com/gibson/Victory.php
    The EMGs are just a metal thing I'm thinking, note the middle pickup is removed...not sure about muddiness..as I tune to B Standard/Drop A, even A Standard on all of my SGs, with absolutely no problems, even with vintage output pickups..

bwotw and milesdeem like this.
  5. milesdeem

milesdeem Well-Known Member

"...Hard Rock Maple Body...."
    Maple bodies are cool. Might be heavy if the body is larger than Victory-size.

79glide likes this.
  6. Dave_Death

Yeah I've got a Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz bass with the maple neck and body, weighs a ton! The Hipshot brass bridge and active preamp that I installed didn't help either!

I forgot about the missing single coil. Might be that this was a HSS guitar, I think there was a HSS variant

7. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Yes please send me 2 ;)

8. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

Yeah buddy! These were the design answer to fill the shredder w/ locking trem hole in the Gibson line up. 24 frets & crazy upper fret access! They were also the precursor to one of my favorite Gibson & my very first brand new Gibson purchase, the Gibson MIII. Which I still have held on to till today. (ala below)
    [​IMG]

Not to make this Victory post about the MIII, although it is an immediate descendant, that MIII played everything I ever asked of it. From Humbuckered Van Halen to bluesier sounding Single Coil Strat tones of Clapton & Vaughn it covered it all quite well thank to its Single / Humbucker selector coil split switch.

The only thing I ever added to it was a Trem-Setter to help bring the bridge back to zero position & right on pitch.

Great guitars. Although that 3 grand is ridiculous & I've seen them go for way way less. Ya just got stay on the hunt & one will present itself sooner or later at a reasonable price.

9. Dave_Death

I do like the MIII as well.

My main concerns with any guitar are neck profile, weight, resonance, and general playability. Looks don't matter much. I like unconventional guitars. I'd be keeping my Explorer if the neck wasn't so chunky.

10. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

My '77 RD Custom was heavy as hell! All maple, even the fretboard..

It said those (middle pickup) were stacked HBs, but coil split.

11. Dave_Death

12. Cecil Snuff

Cecil Snuff New Member

I've got an '84 Victory and I love it. It took me a long time to find one. I think they only made 200 of them. It's been abused, re-built and re-finished poorly but I still had to have it. It plays great, looks great and screams with dirty fingers I have in the bridge and sd '59 in the neck. I'm still on the lookout for another and have seen them pop up every now and then from $1200 - $1500. I scored mine in a trade with some other items. I'll take a picture to post later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  13. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

Schweeeet!

14. WillyWP

WillyWP Member

I just sold mine! It was a truly awesome guitar, it was just too heavy for me. I'm used to SGs, what can I say. VictoryMXV.3.jpg VictoryMXV.3.jpg

Dave_Death likes this.
  15. JimD

JimD Member

Had a surf and found some info on the Victory on the Gibson Guitar Board - http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/79675-victory-guitars/

I remember seeing Dave Davies of The Kinks with one in a magazine shoot. I always liked the way the three cream coils made it look like it had three single coils from a distance, and then closer up you can see the humbuckers. Never played one but I would love to try.

16. Dave_Death

Wow some beautiful Victories there!

17. Marc Hunter

Marc Hunter New Member

I'm in the middle of rebuilding an '82 MVX, going with p-90s and a bigsby. I didn't care for the original pickups, and it lacked sustain for how heavy it is, but is really comfortable to play. Can't wait to get it back in action!

Attached Files:

Dave_Death likes this.
  18. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

WOW hey Marc.
    Welcome to the Zoo. cant wait to see and hear more of this refurb!!!

19. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

arise from the dead, aulde thread!

and Welcome to ETSG, Marc. I was surprised to see this pop up, and
    even more surprised to read posts by a former member who left this forum
    and now bad mouths us from a distance. I thought for a minute he was
    back and all was forgiven.

We never run out of interesting things to talk about on this forum IMHO,
    but when we do, we go to the archives and start over. There are many
    cool threads in there to rehash.

20. THUNDER

THUNDER New Member

Any love? You bet. The Gibson Victory MVX body and neck are made from Eastern Hard Rock Maple, with a Janka Hardness ranking of 1,450-pound-force, a crushing strength of 7,830 pound-force per square inch, & a tensile elasticity modulus of 1,830,000 pound-force per square inch. Eastern Hard Rock Maple is harder, stiffer, and denser than Walnut, Oak, or even Mahogany, producing earth quaking sustain. I would not recommended a Victory MVX for the weak, these sledge axes weigh a solid nine pounds. However they are “perfectly balanced” both on the strap - or on the knee.

The neck of the Victory MVX has a tri-laminate alternating wood grain design. Cross banding strengthens the overall neck, gives more tuning stabilization, and allowed the luthiers to eliminate the need for a scarf joint at the headstock, providing superior resistance against impact cracking over angled single piece necks or scarf joint necks, the non-scarfed break angle also eliminates the need for junky string tree clips.

Tim Shaw was an engineer in the Kalamazoo custom shop. He designed the Gibson Victory MV's pickups but they are not what people now commonly refer to as “Shaws”. In 1980 he conducted a scientific study of the various PAF models and lab analyzed the materials, to design a pickup that was an exact copy, reissue, or replica of the 1959 PAF pickup. This is what people commonly refer to as a "Shaw Pickup", these have an Unoriented Alnico 5 and are ink stamped as: 137/138, 372/373, 498/499.

The "Shaw Era" for Gibson was between 1980 and 1986. Tim Shaw's Victory MV pickups do not have ink stamps. For example, the Gibson Victory MVX center pickup is an extremely rare "stacked" humbucker, designed by Shaw, but clearly, not what people now refer to as a "Shaw pickup".