Going to be upgrading electronics soon...

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by Pepol, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Pepol

Pepol Member

Hey all,
    Im liking the new board! Good work guys.
    Back to my question:
    I own a Epiphone Vintage G400. I love it, but I want to gut it and customize it (and by gut I mean simply swap ALL the electronics out for higher quality). Not that there is anything wrong persay with the Epiphone electronics, I just want top of the line....you know!
    Either way, on the old forum some of you recomended rsguitarworks.com
    Its a great site. I would get the premium electronics uprgrade for Gibson historic models (short shafts). However, Im not too sure which "option" I would most like. I think I'd stick with the "true tone kit" they offer, but do any of you have experience with the other kits they offer (high gain/treble tamer kit)??? I'd like another opinion before ordering.
    Also....what is the difference (sound wise etc) between the their premium kit, and the standard. Which would you recommend? I see that the premium involves a differenct wiring schematic. Just wondering if any of you have any experience with these.
    I've decided to go with the rsguitarworks over stewmac for electronics on this one, since most of you recommended it.
    Thanks guys!

PS: Im in the market for set of Gibson 490's (bridge and neck) with covers on (in good condition). If any of you have any lying around :roll: I'm VERY interested. Thanks!

2. dcooper

dcooper Member

I don't think you need the treble tamer, IMO

3. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

the premium kit has the nicer Hovland caps with it. I'm not sure what could be very different about the wiring. I didn't get the Hovland caps with mine, but I'm just as happy with it. I'm a full on 10, 10, 10, 10 guitar player, so the caps didn't mean that much to me.

One thing is that I think you'll be hapy with ordering a little extra wire. I ran a little short myself.

H2H

4. Pepol

Pepol Member

I will be sure to order extra wiring then!
    I assume these kits do not include wiring?

Is the premium kit worth the extra money? Money isnt really the issue here being only 10 or so more....but is there a noticable difference?

Thanks for the responses guys.

5. Keithsauls

Keithsauls Member

i was very happy with my premium kit. the hovland caps rule! i agree though they send just enough wire to do the job and nothing more. no room for error. do yourself a favor and order a little extra.