Good article about Jimi Hendrix's 1967 SG

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by DanB, Apr 30, 2019.

1. DanB

DanB Active Member

Hello all, as a new member and as a left handed player, I saw this article about Jimi Hendrix and his SG and wanted to share it with all of you. Hendrix was known primarily as a Fender Stratocaster player but he did occasionally play Gibsons, including this SG below. Hope you all find it interesting. Includes video of him playing the SG on Dick Cavett. Here's s picture of the guitar below. and the link for the whole article is below that.

http://[​IMG]/rpm/cool-guitar-alert-jimi-hendrixs-1967-gibson-sg-custom/

2. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Nice thanks!

DanB likes this.
  3. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I saw Jimi live several times, the last in a rodeo arena with Buddy Miles and a pickup band. He was always incredible and not just because of the orange sunshine, but the last time I saw him, he played an SG, may well have been this one. Unlike SRV, who's life was cut short before he became the player he might have been, Jimi was complete from the get go and just kept expanding his unique skill set.

Dave, Layne Matz, Gahr and 1 other person like this.
  4. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

i saw it at the HRC in NYC awhile back...not sure if its still there...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dave and DanB like this.
  5. DanB

DanB Active Member

6. DanB

DanB Active Member

You are very fortunate to have seen this guitar legend in concert in person. I have seen plenty of films of Jimi playing live but was too young to have seen him in concert (only in grade school at the time my parents were not hip enough to take me to see him!)

Chubbles likes this.
  7. Chubbles

Chubbles Well-Known Member

I agree. Same here. He died when I was 5. Can you imagine what a 5 year old would think of Jimi Hendrix?

8. DanB

DanB Active Member

Chubbles that is a good question! I was born in 1961 (coincidentally the first year the Gibson SG was produced) so would have been about 9 when Jimi died. I was already aware of several rock groups like the Beatles (I can remember seeing them play live on tv in 1965 or 66, although do not remember the show or the song they sang) and of course kids my age all listened to the Monkees (who I believe Jimi actually toured with, if you can believe that), but I do not think i heard of Jimi until I was in junior high or high school and playing guitar myself. As a left handed player, Hendrix was always an inspiration to me. Tragedy that he died so young but the guitar world is so lucky to have him because he was such an innovative force.

fos1 likes this.
  9. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Jimi could play right-handed almost as well as left. His father, like most guitar teachers at the time demanded he play right handed. A young protege of mine experienced that at Berklee College as recently as 1986, btw. His revenge was building a two necked guitar with the body in the middle to twit his instructor. 30 years later, most of his guitars are rh.

DanB likes this.
  10. Chubbles

Chubbles Well-Known Member

I had a Beatles 45 and a record player when I was 5: I want to hold your hand.

At least I discovered SRV long before he died.

DanB likes this.