Great to see Mr Iommi helping NHS

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by Bert Scrogshaw, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Bert Scrogshaw

Bert Scrogshaw Member

2. Piper68Special

Piper68Special Active Member

3. WytchCrypt

WytchCrypt Member

Definitely cool. I just checked out the ebay link and it looks there like he'll be donating the proceeds to the Cancer Centre at Heartlands Hospital Birmingham. Speaking of Tony and his successful fight with cancer, as a new member here there's something I've been wanting to share that hasn't come up...until now.

When Tony announced his cancer diagnosis I was incredibly sad. I've always felt a special connection with him as he was the guy who first made me want to play guitar as a teenager back in '74. When he then announced that he'd be continuing to perform and go out on the road for a few weeks then come home for treatment for a few weeks, then back on the road, I was super inspired. I told everyone that Tony was the real life IRON MAN! Tony was taking cancer by the balls and saying you're not going to stop me. A couple years into his treatment, I was also diagnosed with cancer...mine was thyroid cancer. I literally felt like if Tony can say cancer's not going to hold him back, that I could do the same thing. For the 2nd time in my life, Tony was my mentor...first my guitar mentor and now my cancer mentor. Long story short, I beat cancer as well and have been clear for 5 years. I think a big part of my ability to beat cancer was the inspiration I got from watching Tony beat his and the way he did it. Anyway, when I was in the fight I had this shirt made (which of course I wore the day I received my Epi Iommi Ltd Ed). It's a little tough to read in this shot but the design I used for the shirt is shown below.

Thanks Tony, you're the man :dude:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Bert Scrogshaw

Bert Scrogshaw Member

Inspirational reading Mr Crypt. Where there is life there is hope. That's my favourite saying......period! I hope that you are in good health and remain so for a very long time. And having Tony Iommi as a guitar mentor and cancer mentor is remarkable. I suffered a stroke 3 years ago....which has altered my life considerably. Please excuse me for copying and pasting a previous post of mine.....bad form/manners I know........

"Where there is life there is hope. I suffered a stroke 2 years ago. Thankfully I got really early treatment which not only saved my live but also reduced some of the debilitating effects post stroke. Managed to keep my speech, vision and most of my movement. Memory and very fine muscle co ordination was quite impaired. I've had to relearn in particular how to play the guitar (maybe not a big thing as I wasn't a good player prior to the stroke). I couldn't look at my guitar let alone had any desire to play it for 18 months.
    I'm playing again now....albeit not to the limited level that I had achieved prior to the stroke........but how well (or not in my case) isn't the issue with me......it's about not allowing me to become a 'victim' of my ill health. Banging out a few chords or riffs that I've relearnt or reremembered is my therapy and saviour."

5. WytchCrypt

WytchCrypt Member

You have an inspirational story as well my fellow Jock :h5:

I definitely believe in the power of playing music to help face challenges both physical and mental and your story is another illustration of just that. I've always liked the saying, "it's not what you accomplish but what you overcome" and being able to relearn guitar post stroke is a fine example of that and an inspiration to those who hear your story :bowdown:

6. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Active Member

That’s super cool man, great to see such a fellow Iommi obsessive! Although there seem to be a fair few lurking here!
    Very inspirational to hear, glad to know you beat that f**ker!

WytchCrypt likes this.
  7. WytchCrypt

WytchCrypt Member

Thanks Grizzlyman :h5:

When I received my diagnosis I honestly wasn't freaked out and I think it was because of a couple reasons. One, my cancer Doc was incredibly calm and confident telling me we'd found it early enough that with immediate surgery and zapping me with radioactive iodine that my chances were excellent. Two, I was already very aware of Tony's fight with cancer and thought that if he could stand up to it and fight, so could I :dude:

Grizzlyman likes this.
  8. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Active Member

Man, that’s great. Some people mentally lose the battle too early, good that you found inspiration in Tony. He’s a stoic machine for sure! I love that Ozzy couldn’t believe how Tony handled the cancer!
    Great T shirt too!!

rocknrollmouse and WytchCrypt like this.
  9. WytchCrypt

WytchCrypt Member

Thanks! I think it's important to have inspiration and be able to point to someone you know (or know of) and say, he's not laying down and letting cancer stop him...if he can do it, so can I!

I wear that shirt to every annual follow up appt and tell everyone in the office, "You probably don't recognize this guy, but I bet you know his band...Black Sabbath!" Then I tell them how he refused to let cancer sideline him from touring and how he'd go tour for a few weeks, then return home for a few weeks of treatment...then back on the road...then home for more treatment and eventually beat it.

As I like to say, Tony is the real life Iron Man :bowdown:

Grizzlyman likes this.