Greco SG standard refinish and re-shaping

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Satellitedog, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Satellitedog

Satellitedog Active Member

Early tomorrow, before work, I'm visiting Tom again, he says woodworking is mostly done, some minor details that need my presence/approval will be discussed, and I'll take pictures of the guitar with a small but easy to handle camera, rather than my tablet PC, which wasn't designed to take photos...
    I'll be posting them after work (which should line up roughly with East Coast NA lunchtime.

I'm pretty curious how it worked out in comparison with the plans...

Also, throughout the months of this project, I came to the conclusion that SGs are a very finicky shape to get just right, and there's more than one way to get it right too, so yeah, hopes and worries are duking it out in the parking lot for the time being.

bwotw, JCarno and ypnos like this.
  2. Satellitedog

Hey folks!

Sorry for the late post, I caught a nasty cold (or the other way around) so I'm pretty slow and scatterbrained.

Okay, so I went to Tom's place, checked out the progress, took some photos, but forgot to snap some of the most interesting development, the side view reshaping, that looks really nice, so I'll have to make good on that next week or whenever I go again.

He reshaped the back-slope at the neck-joint, looks good. He worked on the upper horn's back-side bevel along with the slope, and it's gonna look really good I think.
    The front beveling is yet to come, and the horn-points, where the contour lines meet needed my opinion, so that's coming up next time.

Please take note that it is a work in progress, and anything rough in these photos will be clean and crisp once it's done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There you go. It's pretty ugly being lopsided, but it is sturdy. I'm a bit annoyed that they used such ugly cost saving measures on nice wood. Anyway, the neck is pretty resonant, so with the solid finish in place it won't bother me.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    dub-setter and bwotw like this.
  3. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

Thanks for the photos! It's gonnabe awesome to keep on checking the the recarving. Your luthier looks like a very capable pro.
    You were gonna finish it in white, right? Do you know yet what shade (artic white, a little cream...?)

And yes, the SG is a very tricky shape to get right. And what worse is the reference examples form the 60's look different between them, almost everyone of them has its own thing going on. It must be hard to get a "template" for the perfect body shape, I imagine

4. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

That's awesome how you did the bevel all the way across the back near the neck joint just like the ones from the early 1960's.

5. Satellitedog

He does clean work, but we have to check the recarving procedure often, since there isn't a golden standard around to keep to, just like you said. The flat rasped away line on the frontside of the upper horn is evidence of this. That's the sloping line that runs into the point of the horn, but the "ridge" has to naturally get thinner/crisper.

As for colours, I was browsing old Volkswagen color charts. I'm not yet set on the finish.
    The following colours are on the shortlist, but I'll try to go to Tom's preferred paint store tomorrow, and choose the one:

-ivory white (VW had multiple shades, all pretty cool)
    -sun yellow (which is a bright yellow, similar to the banana yellow SG on the previous page)
    -signal orange, or some other reddish orange (semi-gloss, or satin, to get an industrial look with aged/dulled nickel hw)
    -the equivalent of aged pelham blue metallic (which is going to be more green than blue)
    -cosmic green metallic or reseda green metallic (both VW colours)

I'm kinda warming to the idea of going with a more unique, OTT colour, just because you can't buy those off the shelf, and they look great on an SG. I can get a white SG later if I want, but I surely won't find a reseda green, or ocean turquoise metallic, or a safety yellow one.

bwotw likes this.
  6. Satellitedog

Yeah, that's one of my favourite SG sculpt details, and actually I saw it first on Bacchus and Crews Maniac Sound SGs. It was there on the Greco from the get go, but it was a little soft in the sculpt, so I asked Tom to make sure it was crisp (as all other changes should be too).

This little quirk reminds me of the old Gibson harp guitars, with their lopsided scroll shoulders. It may have been a little homage on part of the original SG designers, or so I like to think...

7. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

Nice! I reckon signal orange or sun yellow would look awesome!

dub-setter and Satellitedog like this.
  8. Satellitedog

Me too, wonder what colours I'll find available (they probably mix anything you want, so I have to resist a flip-flop pelham blue/ gold green).

9. dub-setter

dub-setter Well-Known Member

yeah.. something different....:thumb:

Satellitedog likes this.
  10. Satellitedog

Decided to share some found picture examples of the colours I really like, to pass the time and get some opinions:
    I don't own the pictures, hope nobody minds me liking them so much as to use them as examples... If the owner does mind, please contact me or the forum and I'll gladly remove the embedding.

Volkswagen orange colours:
    [​IMG]

"tangerine" is pretty cool, could look awesome lightly aged and dinged up a bit...
    [​IMG]

Ginstergelb (broom yellow according to RAL) & Cosmic Green, both on my shortlist:

[​IMG]

dub-setter likes this.
  11. dub-setter

noice....

the "blutorange" one would be my kind of choice...

EDIT:: or as stated by you... the tangerine one...:)

Satellitedog likes this.
  12. Satellitedog

PermissionToLand and dub-setter like this.
  13. Satellitedog

Hab da schnell mal vergessen, dass es aus einem VW farbpalette kam, sorry... :-)

Das problem ist, dass ich alle vier gleichmässig toll finde.

14. dub-setter

marino yellow ....

also yummy...

15. dub-setter

kein problem... auf jeden fall ne tolle farbe !!

Satellitedog likes this.
  16. Satellitedog

The toughest part is to imagine living with each colour for more than a couple of days. Which one would drag me back to pick up the guitar all the time, and which one would I like holding for more than a couple of songs? Too bright a colour could backfire in the long run, but it sure would make me proud just looking at it. :-)
    Decisions-decisions...

17. Satellitedog

18. dub-setter

:cheers:

Satellitedog likes this.
  19. Satellitedog

After a vain attempt on Tuesday (forgot to check opening hours, and they close at 4 pm) I finally got a chance to browse through some colour palettes/paint catalogues at the paint-store on the far side of the city...

Wow.

There is an overwhelming number of slight tonal variations across yellows and mostly Pelham Blue/Metallic Green variants.

-Orange wasn't too hard to sift through, I whittled it down to 3 codes, but probably not going to go for orange this first time, as I can't really imagine my living environment reflecting upon such a strong industrial looking object, a dark-orange SG with nickel hw would look much better in a vintage car collector's garage or a high tech studio, than in a comfortable flat.

-On the other hand there are at least 7 yellows (banana, industrial/safety and sun tones) and
    -10 metallic greens and rose-chafer tones, which are still in the race plus
    -4 Aged Pelham Blue variants, which all looked stunningly beautiful, and I might just go for one of them.

-With whites, it was quite easy in comparison, five possible tones, all really close, but with two strong contenders at least on the first and very quick viewing.

I'll take a camera tomorrow and take pictures of all the colours I like, 'cause I can't make up my mind.

Any suggestions as to how I could further reduce the number of colours? I'm grasping at straws to be honest. Any online color-code checking websites?

Anyone have photos of Dupont solid colour charts?

20. Satellitedog

Okay, so I traveled to the paint store again this morning, got drenched in the rain like I took a dip in the lake fully clothed. But, at least I got to take photos of most if not all my previously selected colors.

Whites (the ones circled with magenta are my choices). Unfortunately the photos are very much a product of light conditions at the moment, and the less than stellar capabilities of the machine, but I adjusted all the pics to resemble something roughly similar to my observations.

[​IMG]

Yellows, oranges (the ones with the checkmarks are available)

My choices are 2/144, -270, -491
    [​IMG]

With the metallics below, discount the ones with the plastic button in them, that's just the topmost card in the stack, didn't have time to get rid of them... only the fanned cards matter.

[​IMG]

Opinions, anyone?

Yes G and bwotw like this.