Greco SG standard refinish and re-shaping

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Satellitedog, Dec 5, 2016.

1. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Natural or Brown satin/worn finish.
    Never gets old because the natural color of the wood is timeless and you don't have to choose a color.

The electric guitar is one of the few instruments where we obsess over colors. Imagine having a green piano or a light blue violin. Just wouldn't seem right. The novelty would wear off after a while as you mentioned.

IMO wood instruments look best in the color of their natural wood species. Staining or tinting them slightly darker or lighter from the natural color to your preference also works well.

PermissionToLand likes this.
  2. Satellitedog

Satellitedog Active Member

I respectfully disagree with your opinion :-)

I'm in favour of the right colour for any given shape, that can of course be a clear finish, or a sunburst, or a see-through one, but it has to suit the guitar. By the way, I'd love to have a sky-blue piano :-)

My problem with a see-through finish on SGs is, the SG is such a sculptorial design with complex contours and bevels and planes meeting (especially the original early '60s type) that a beautiful wood grain can end up distracting from the sexiness of the aerodynamics, and diminish the overall appearance. Think perhaps of camouflage on battleships, or the crazy patterns on test-cars that have to remain secret before their release date. An interesting or super-rich grain acts to me like those man-made efforts to blur the outlines. I have seen very pretty Cherry Red, or Natural finish SGs, but they tend to be way over my budget (regardless of brand, a two-, or one piece body will come at a premium) for the moment at least, and it would take a while to find a really lovely one for the right price.

On a Flying V, Explorer, or a Les Paul I can enjoy the right grain pattern and wood colours, I like mahagony, and plaintop maple caps, I love nice Limba/Korina, I like an interesting Ash pattern on Fenders, and I love a nice rosewood body on acoustics visually too. No problem with them, but SGs are different.

Another thing is, that my SG was built with a multi piece body which looks nice enough on first glance, but has its flaws, there's a small, but noticeable factory tear out on the lower bout that was filled with some crappy material that came off with the finish during stripping, that needs to be filled, and a fixed crack in the bottom of the control cavity, not to mention the ugly asymmetrical scarf joint on the headstock which I'll be glad to hide under a solid colour, along with the relocated High E tuner-key.
    So overall, I don't want to show off the wood on this particular instrument, nor would I buy a see through finish multi-piece guitar, unless the pieces were equally, or symmetrically proportioned (equal three pieces, no more please).

3. Satellitedog

Re-posting from the previous page for others to see.:

Okay, so I traveled to the paint store again this morning, got drenched in the rain like I took a dip in the lake fully clothed. But, at least I got to take photos of most if not all my previously selected colors.

Whites (the ones circled with magenta are my choices). Unfortunately the photos are very much a product of light conditions at the moment, and the less than stellar capabilities of the machine, but I adjusted all the pics to resemble something roughly similar to my observations.

[​IMG]

Yellows, oranges (the ones with the checkmarks are available)

My choices are 2/144, -270, -491
    [​IMG]

With the metallics below, discount the ones with the plastic button in them, that's just the topmost card in the stack, didn't have time to get rid of them... only the fanned cards matter.

[​IMG]

Opinions, anyone?

4. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

I'd go, in this order, orange, yellow, metallic green and lastly white. I like the yellows and oranges for uniqueness, and I think they'd work great in an SG. I like 2/144 2/491 personaly, but a lot of the colors from that pic would work for me too.

For what is worth, I used to have a Classic white 61RI and the finish had a very slight greenish hue, kinda like 1/060

Satellitedog likes this.
  5. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Yellow.

Satellitedog likes this.
  6. Satellitedog

Thanks guys!

Appreciate your including your fave codes! I still think orange would not fit my living environment, and since I don't gig, it wouldn't really have a place to shine, but could change my mind on a whim... It would certainly look very good.

Yellow, both 144 and 270 would kinda suit my world, strong contenders.

As for the whites, yeah, a slight greenishness would suit the guitar well, like on the VOS Custom Shop Standards, which have a greenish-greyish ivory colour. I really like that.
    As for which white hue would work best, I dare not rely on the photos, as they looked completely different in person yesterday, in sunny weather, than today in the overcast rainy morning.

Oh, you've simplified your comment?

Acknowledging that, let me answer the original one:
    270 would be great, and I certainly wouldn't chase off a nice Korina SG from my playground..
    Also TV Yellow is a superb choice, I love it on SGs.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
    cerebral gasket likes this.
  7. Satellitedog

It's been quiet on the refinish front, and busy for me at work, so no actual news or photos, but I spent a bit of time on Sunday and used Frank Montag's SG editor website http://www.frankmontag.com/ to create reference views for the colours I'd most like to see on my SG. (I removed his watermark background, because it was too distracting with multiple guitars next to each other, also I did a little colour tweaking outside his editor, plus some retouch with the metallic finishes to make them more realistic)

Here they are:

[​IMG]

The upper row are the most likely contenders (plus the coral-red / pastel-orange aged one in the lower row, second from right). My current favourites are the white, the warmer yellow, both oranges and the golden-green one with the tortoise pickguard.
    I love the heavily aged pale-surf/pistachio green in the bottom left corner, and the strawberry red ones with white plastics in the middle in the lower row.

Also, eventually... There may be two instead of one refinished SGs coming up, but I dare not shoot my mouth off about it just yet.

bwotw and dub-setter like this.
  8. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Well, I've always loved white SGs, but I have to say I'm liking that one on the top right. :)

Satellitedog likes this.
  9. dub-setter

dub-setter Active Member

for me i would go for :

the white,
    orange one top left (second),
    green "patina " left down
    plus the yellow one right down.

Satellitedog likes this.
  10. Satellitedog

Hehehe

I can't tell what the colours look like to you, on your monitors, but the one on the top right matches the recently posted '65 Junior in the Vintage section of the forum pretty well, even though I was just trying to get an actual aged Pelham blue vibe going.

Yeah, white just works, and the Greco used to be white, would do zero harm to go with that.

Given that there could be two SGs in my possession a couple of weeks from now, the choice is less stressful.

the "orange" is supposed to be a warm, Marino yellow-esque hue, and the one on its right is closer to the old VW dark orange (but it can look red on some monitors). The patina on the pale green one is the aging effect option of Frank's editor, sorry for the low res quality.

I think I've given up on the banana/bright yellow, I'd rather choose a deeper orange instead, it would be less jarring in the long run I recon.

dub-setter likes this.
  11. Satellitedog

My choices right now (left to right, top to bottom):
    1, 2, 3, 5, 11

12. dub-setter

dub-setter Active Member

yap... also a good chioce.. why not....

Satellitedog likes this.
  13. Satellitedog

Orange would be very Krautrock in my eyes, and I love Michael Rother's playing, and Motorik stuff.

dub-setter likes this.
  14. ypnos

ypnos Well-Known Member

I'd choose the 12th, the yellow one. Can't wait to see the guitar completed.

Satellitedog likes this.
  15. Tonerider

Tonerider Active Member

I vote black, a black SG is awesome!

[​IMG]

Yes G and Satellitedog like this.
  16. Satellitedog

Hehehe. My second SG is going to be a black small guard standard from Edwards, if the authorities give it the CITES export permit (from Japan). But unless I like it a lot more than I like black SGs in photos, it will get refinished in one of the above colours.

17. drown

drown Well-Known Member

If the top right is like the recently posted vintage junior I'd go for that. Gorgeous color. Easy on the eyes.

18. Satellitedog

Well it would be similar in real life. Take a look at the colour cards further up on the page, there's a nice selection of metallic green-blues and greens, but I'm partial to a more golden-green hue, less ocean-turqoise, more rose-chafer bug.

19. dub-setter

dub-setter Active Member

okay...

enough of the color-scheme discussion...

go on with the progress...:D

Satellitedog likes this.
  20. ypnos

ypnos Well-Known Member

That would be a cool finish for your guitar. Imagine it on an SG.

[​IMG]