Greco SG standard refinish and re-shaping

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Satellitedog, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Satellitedog

Satellitedog Active Member

I love it on the 335, especially with the cool hardware combination of Filtertrons, Bigsby and clear knobs, but not that much on an SG.
    Perhaps a lighter, more olive drab colour, even more military than this. Somewhere between the sand colored Government Series Gibsons and this green.

But this 335 is awesome.

2. Satellitedog

Totally right. didn't have the time to deal with "Tom the hermit", but I'll get back to you once there are news.

dub-setter likes this.
  3. Satellitedog

Hey guys, last time I wrote I was in a deep state of panic and dread due to a health-scare so I couldn't really focus on guitars at all. I was called back for another lung x-ray after a routine workplace exam (for my new full time job), and I had to wait a week without any information as to the reason for this, just that there was something in the first image/the result came back positive, but it wasn't straight from the doctor, just one of the nurses, and the others gave conflicting info, so I was on edge for the whole bloody week.

Now it turns out I don't have lung cancer, so I can enjoy the finer things in life, like sniffing paint thinner and sawdust...
    :-/
    :-)

I'll try and contact Tom today or tomorrow to see what's up with the Greco.
    Also I'm hoping the Japanese authorities greenlight the Edwards SG export, so fingers crossed. That one is a 6.23 lbs / 2.83 kg featherweight, I can't wait to play it.

Yes G and bwotw like this.
  4. Satellitedog

Actual update, yaay!

I talked to Tom today, he said he'd finished the wood mods, and it's time for a final inspection before the paint process starts. I'll visit him next Tuesday after work, and get back to you with fresh photos!

Yes G, bwotw and dub-setter like this.
  5. dub-setter

dub-setter Active Member

6. Satellitedog

Indeed! Honestly it's a bit frustrating being his customer, but he does fine work, he's just not keen on communication, and I'm used to answering mail or phone calls right away at my job and it takes getting used to accepting the opposite...

7. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

Good to know everything's good healthwise and that the project is back on track!

Thanks for that mockup of finishes. If it was my decision, I'd chose between 7 (my favourite) 2 or 3. White and Pelham are always cool, but I reckon I'd go with something unique to make it my own.

I'm really curious about the woodwork too, can't wait to see it

8. Satellitedog

Thanks, man! Knock on mahogany...

Yeah, that nr.7 (the pale green aged finish) would be a very cool proposal, sorta my Brutalism By Night - SG. But this won't be an aged guitar, not artificially at least.
    The second one, if and when... I'm not sure, I may try and ram a lightly aged lacquer finish guitar's idea past Tom's instinctive professional defenses (he's a modernist it seems). It all depends on which finish the first one ends up with. I can imagine an aged orange or yellow more readily than an aged metallic blue or white.

Anyway, here's a shortlisted finish options image.

[​IMG]

Yes G and bwotw like this.
  9. Satellitedog

Alright, I'm back from Tom's. Nice progress, the finishline is in sight. I took photos, will sift through them, clean them up, resize them and upload them in a couple of hours, will post them today.

Yes G, vonserke and bwotw like this.
  10. Satellitedog

Okay, new pic time!

It's late here, and I have to get up early tomorrow, so no commentary, but I will either write updates in this post, or just list further adjustments (there are some) that are to be made.

There's only one detail that bugs me, and a few other minor ones but I think all of them can be fixed, I'll let Tom know. Otherwise I'm happy with the work he's done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Satellitedog

Sorry, I've taken most pics after marking further changes with a pencil... I'll take a bunch when it's finished without any such dirt... :-)

12. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

Looking VERY good!!! :thumb:

13. Satellitedog

Thank you! I like it a lot too.
    There are a number of small changes that I want made, I've sent the drawings made over these photos to Tom. He said he'd finish them in a week's time, but I have to make sure we're on the same page, since these are minor details.

bwotw likes this.
  14. Satellitedog

Okay it turns out the bridge and tailpiece drillings are metric. Aside from historical accuracy, is there any benefit in having them modded to imperial/inch sized parts? Is there any tonal improvement from having more metal in there?
    I'm likely going to buy Faber parts (from Germany for quick delivery, and no VAT), and they offer both metric and inch parts.

15. Rox

Rox Active Member

I would think there's so little difference, it's more to do with the quality of the parts themselves. Staying metric avoids filling, redrilling and the possible complications therein of course. :smile:

Mind you, by the looks of your work, you'd manage that just fine. ;)

Satellitedog likes this.
  16. dub-setter

dub-setter Active Member

faber ones are fine....

(if u want to have more choice in parts/bridges, you may
    change the thread/drilling for imperial/inch, but i would leave it as it is)

Satellitedog likes this.
  17. Satellitedog

Thanks. I think think I'll just stay with metric Fabers, and save the corksniffery for later, for less hectic times.

Am I right in thinking tailpieces themselves come in one size only? That's the most urgent change I want to make.

18. Satellitedog

I wish I had done the woodworking, but while I do think I'd manage fine after some practice, I lack the tools, workshop and experience at this moment. :-) A local luthier is doing the mods I just make the plans.

19. Rox

Rox Active Member

I definitely wouldn't worry about metric v imperial. :)

Satellitedog likes this.
  20. Satellitedog

Alright. I've bought a Gotoh aluminium tailpiece (incl. metric posts and bushings) from WD Music and will buy a Faber bridge tomorrow or sometime soon from Tokaiguitars.de. I chose the Gotoh as the Faber was way more expensive, and slightly heavier, plus it didn't include the nickel finish studs and bushings. I like the idea of the milled saddles on the Faber ABR, so I'm willing to pay a bit more.

bwotw likes this.