Greco SG standard refinish and re-shaping

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Satellitedog, Dec 5, 2016.

1. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

I had the the whole Faber kit on my SG once. Good, quality pieces.

Satellitedog likes this.
  2. Satellitedog

Satellitedog Active Member

the Faber's tailpiece inserts are a bit wider than the Gotoh, which matches my own, so it would require extra wood work.

3. sgluvr

sgluvr Member

Sg lefty.jpg Sg lefty.jpg I found this 1963 lefty on Reverb that has the absolute best contours that I feel a properly carved SG should have. Yes, I flipped the picture.

bwotw and Satellitedog like this.
  4. Satellitedog

Looks fierce! My guitar is going to look very similar. Interesting to see the super deep '61 crescent/kipfel shaped bevel on the upper horn on a '63. I mean the inside bevel looks wider than than the outside contour plane. I like them a little more balanced, but the lower horn's bevelling is perfect.
    I may be in the minority here, but I really like the somewhat too sharp, too engineered contours of the VOS reissues. Not everything about them, there are some weird things, but I find their look quite balanced.

PermissionToLand and Yes G like this.
  5. pedecamp

pedecamp Active Member

A very interesting project for sure, but why are you going to such lengths to refurbish this guitar rather than buy a new one? Seems fairly expensive what youre doing.

6. Satellitedog

The guitar was inexpensive, and affordable if I include shipping and taxes, and the price of the luthier's work will likely be less than that (I live in a poorer country, where work is far less expensive than US wages, unfortunately/fortunately for me), so in the end I'll have an SG that I actually want for about $ 1000-1100, with some upgrades and a custom paintjob.

From the current or recently built Gibson range I would only leave a CS VOS Standard reissue untouched, anything else, and I'd still want it refinished and recarved like this cheap Greco. I don't quite know why, but Gibson just doesn't want to get the bevels right unless it's custom shop built, so I had to get a Japanese copy to get close to what I want.

The scale of the work at hand has grown incrementally. The more examples of nice early '60s SGs I saw in pictures, the more little changes I wanted have made to achieve the ideal.

The "before" picture links are broken now, but I'll re-link them when the woodworking is done. They show that the guitar was not very different to begin with, just less sharply sculpted, with shallower bevels on the horns.
    It is about 95% there in the last progress photos.

7. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Well-Known Member

Hey cousin Lurlene (guitar's name) says hi:

[​IMG]
    I should really paint the inside of the holes black at least.

(And it now has a nice roller bridge. Smooth as a baby's butt that trem is.)

Satellitedog likes this.
  8. Satellitedog

Is that the XTrem whammy on Lurlene?

9. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Your coffee is too weak this morning.

10. Satellitedog

:-) How am I getting this wrong? I took Lurlene to be the name of the black, big-guard SG with the weird but cool trem in the photo.

11. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Ooops ... I hadn't had my coffee yet.

I misread "on" for "or" in Is that the XTrem whammy on Lurlene? So my extended knowledge of whammys suggested to me, that a Lurlene was a trem model name.

Back to bed ... good night.

Satellitedog likes this.
  12. Satellitedog

Hehe :-) No probs, collect some Z-s

13. ScottMarlowe

Yep. Great trem. Basically fixes all the issues I have with bigsbys pin mounted strings. So fast and easy to string up. I also have their floating trem on my Sorrento, Cherlene (Outlaw country!) Highly recommend them.

[​IMG]

Satellitedog likes this.
  14. Satellitedog

Tell me how's the Sorrento's build quality? I always wanted one, and missed out on the recent 50th reissues... :-(

15. Satellitedog

And that trem looks ace. Especially on the Sorrento.

16. ScottMarlowe

The Sorrento is probably one of the best made guitars I've ever played. Sound wise it's quite versatile as well. They were closing them out at the end for $499 with case and I was looking at Ibanez artcore, lower end Gretsch and a few others and I just couldn't get as much guitar for that kind of money. Keep in mind the Sorrento 1961 reissue has Gibson minihumbuckers in it as well as CTS pots and Switchcraft jack and plug, all stock. So after all the mods I'd need to make to anything else to get it to that level was just crazy costs wise. I was looking at $800 or more to match it with any other guitar.

The fact that they were really well made is just another big plus. No need for fret work, and the setup was decent right out of the case.

The $50 I spent on the trem and $25 on the roller bridge were all I've spent on it since and they were great investments.

They go for just under $350 to $500 on ebay every so often, and I'd recommend them if you got the cash for it.

17. Satellitedog

Sounds really good!
    Back when I was first going to music stores in the very early 2000s, they had the orange and olive burst models on the wall at some places, but I was a pennyless college student, so could only dream of owning my own. Then I saved up and bought my main guitar, a second-hand Epi Riviera Elitist in 2004, and was alright for many years.
    However my favourite guitar ever is the ES 125, and it's derivatives (including the Sorrento). I only have two electrics at the moment, but I want a guitar in this vein. If I come across an olive-burst Sorrento for a good price, I may just buy it, but unseen and unplayed it's good to know the Chinese factory did a good job.

18. Satellitedog

Since it's the weekend, I finally got a bit of time to start planning my SG scratch build. I spent so many hours looking at various SGs, vintage, modern and clones, SG inspired production models, that my hands are almost itching to grab a mahogany body blank, get my ass to the workshop and get to work.

Also I had a look at the neck tenon on my Greco, and it dawned on me that the ugly triangular holes on under the tenon-cover do signal a purely economic, wood saving measure. The neck tenon has a roughly 13/16 inch thick heel slab, that makes up the long tenon, that extends under the neck pickup. So there's indeed an extra wood block glued to that lower half, so the actual neck blank can be cut roughly 3 inches shorter. Since much of the long tenon would go to waste during routing, I can't really be angry about them using cut offs for the task. It's not pretty, but at least it's logical.

19. Satellitedog

Okay folks. No news on the Greco front - Tom's disappeared again, but it's summer vacation season, so I guess I just have to sit it out - BUT my Edwards E-SG has FINALLY arrived three months after the purchase (CITES...), and it is nice. Very professional in build and playability, will need to adjust some things, make some upgrades (capacitors and a sideways Switchcraft selector, perhaps new pickups instead of the Duncan SH1/SH4 combo, and a NGD thread is due.
    And once the Greco is finished I'll take it to Tom for a refinish in a cool new colour. :-D

PermissionToLand, vonserke and bwotw like this.
  20. Satellitedog

ALRIGHT! Tom's back, and work will wrap up in the foreseeable future. Finally...

I visited him today, no updates beyond the confirmation of the job going forward and some minor bits of refreshing the memories from May. I'll be back with pics when they happen.

Until then, here's the link to the NGD thread with photos of the Edwards SG I recently bought, that I'll have refinished after the Greco is done.
    http://www.everythingsg.com/threads/ngd-edwards-e-sg-120.33117/#post-485621

vonserke and dub-setter like this.