Greco SG standard refinish and re-shaping

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Satellitedog, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Satellitedog

Satellitedog Active Member

NEWS AGAIN! Glad to report that this is NOT a zombie thread.

Alright. To my absolute surprise Tom rang me up after more than a year has passed since we'd last talked, to say he's finished the woodworking goals on the guitar and I should inspect it so we can move on to painting.

I did go and inspect the progress, and while there's still a bit of shaping left to do, and I have to do a photo comparison to make sure he's really done what I've asked him to do, the guitar does in fact look stunning in person.
    He re-applied the pore filling where necessary, and did a sealer and base layer lacquer on the guitar.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  2. Satellitedog

3. Satellitedog

A Jolly Christmas to you all!

4. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

What a nice slab of wood that is. Will it stay natural or get some color ?

One thing I noticed is that lower tip is almost chisel sharp, as top one is much rounder. Is assymetrical tip sharpness a thing ?

5. Satellitedog

Hey, Doctor! It will be a custom colour. Since I've bought that white Tokai SG, it will be either aged Pelham (metallic green/blue) or industrial-orange or safety-yellow.
    As for the different sharpness, I think it was a thing with early SGs, but I wouldn't mind were it inaccurate, as it just feels right. Anyway looking at this 1962 Standard that I found on Reverb, you can see the difference there too. [​IMG]

And I've found this too, to me this looks absolutely great: https://www.garysguitars.com/catalog/1962-gibson-sg-special-polaris-white-gie0772

Also the lower cutaway will have a deeper bevel, than in the current pics - so it reaches the pickguard's edge, and the lower edge of the bevel will match the upper horn's bevel shape (if you look at the horns down the neck from the headstock).

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    PermissionToLand and bwotw like this.
  6. DrBGood

Even more evident on the 62 Polaris White Special on Gary's Guitars. So it is "a thing" ... :thumb:

To me the bevel has to follow the exact curve of the pickguard, if not it looks like ... ooops.

bwotw and Satellitedog like this.
  7. Satellitedog

Yeah, to me just as much. I actually love those bevels that match the pickguard edge precisely, not just curve-wise, but those that line up, or even run under the pickguard. It's imperfect, but kinda hot.

I wish you a great Christmas Eve!

DrBGood likes this.
  8. Satellitedog

I'm going to re-upload the Work In Progress photos in the coming weeks, along with the 'before' images, and make a final run of posts either here, or in a fresh thread, to keep it easy to read.

Until then, here are some of the final paint options I'm choosing from. Sooo many Pelham Blue type finishes to choose from...
    Next week I'll return to the paint shop to finalize my decision, and let Tom know. I'll probably have some inspection pics of the final-final-final woodworking touches too, and hopefully the refinish/paintjob will be finished in February.

PermissionToLand likes this.
  9. DrBGood

Something like this ?

wiphiuesjqzh8aeawqwx.jpg

10. Satellitedog

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  11. dub-setter

dub-setter Active Member

i m up for yellow /orange...:smile:

12. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

13. Satellitedog

What kind of finish is that? It looks solid at the cutaways, but TV yellow at the bottom...

14. cerebral gasket

It's an SG Special Faded in Worn Yellow. It is going to be refinished to a proper TV Yellow like what you would find on the Custom Shop models. The finish will be stripped, grain filled and leveled so that it is smooth, stained with the grain visible through the color, then gloss clear.

Before and After color samples pictured below.

[​IMG]

15. Satellitedog

Ah, I see... so they basically went for a cheap finish by omitting grain filling - that kinda reminds one of the TV finishes, squinting from a hilltop on the horizon in the fog at dusk... Anyways, TV Yellow looks great on SGs, nice choice, you could link to the finished guitar in this thread, if you'd like to, would love to see it.

Do you like batwing guards? You could still convert it to a small guard, you know... :-)

I won't be going for any see-through option, as tempting as it is, since the Greco's body is made of 3 (+1 tiny end) pieces, only 2 of which match up nicely.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  16. cerebral gasket

Not a bad idea converting it to a small guard, but the train has already left the station. I do favor Batwings and will post the completed project in a new thread when it is done.

bwotw and Satellitedog like this.
  17. Satellitedog

Good!!! Forum's back :-)

18. Satellitedog

19. Satellitedog

Okay folks, yesterday I visited Tom again, and we drew in the final modifications on the guitar, so the lower horn looks a bit more like a CS VOS (the shape was not suitable for a true '61 style contouring, like my Tokai SG) which I love.
    It's a game of millimeters and cautious sanding :-)

As for the finish, I've visited the automotive paint store in fine sunny weather and came to the conclusion that the earlier color choices were way too garish and candy coloured in sunlight, so I had to tone my choices down a notch or two.

We've talked through the finish method, and agreed on a modern take on the traditional Aged Pelham Blue, taking one of the greenish-blue metallic colours from the following photos, and using a sligthly yellowed clear coat on top to approximate the not-quite green, non-uniform look of real APB finishes.
    Here come the choices I think would be suitable:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  20. Satellitedog