Greco SG standard refinish and re-shaping

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Satellitedog, Dec 5, 2016.

1. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Wow, what a massive improvement! I must say, you have a good eye for the subtle beveling details. I agree that the beveling of the Historics is more balanced than the actual '60s SGs, and the sharpness is preferable. The work looks excellent. He even reshaped the horns entirely, I wasn't expecting that.

I'm a sucker for walnut finishes so I would just leave it as is (and throw a batwing on it to create the '69 SG with beveling that never was!), but I am also excited to see it in full Pelham glory with those killer bevels.

This is just the coolest thing to me; beveling nuances on the SG are so intriguing. I had a ton of fun beveling my pseudo-SG build. And I am looking forward to stripping it down for some improvements and a real finish job this summer.

IMG_2384m.jpg

Satellitedog likes this.
  2. Satellitedog

Satellitedog Active Member

Thank you, and agreed on all points (minus the batwing! :-)

His disappearance was worrisome, but he came through in the end.

I'm still kinda hesitating regarding the colour, but I know Aged Pelham will look great. But once that's done, I'll be yearning for the industrial-orange SG...

Please link your progress on the remodelling of the above axe here.

PermissionToLand likes this.
  3. PermissionToLand

Well, you do have that black one, now!

4. Satellitedog

I do indeed, and it is a lovely guitar.
    I am trying to convince myself that the slimmer, sleeker black Edwards will look great in orange, but I haven't succeeded yet.

5. Satellitedog

Alright. Final round is approaching... As far as bevelling is concerned, I'm of two hearts.
    I love 99% of what I see, and still pick nits with some crucial details.
    Also I'm not sure it's the sculpt, or the current pickguard.

I started the Creamtone pg thread for this reason. I'm wondering whether I should have the outer beveled-stripe of the lower horn follow the pickguard more closely, or just have it run smoothly into the horn side point of the pickguard. Any suggestions?

anyway here's the latest set of photos (and a lot more of them in the media gallery):

JCarno, HackeIommi and dub-setter like this.
  6. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Bevels are real nice. The pickguard though, it seem to be hanging over the bevel ? I'd have it follow the bevel religiously, maybe a tad recessed, so we can see the bevel edge.

Satellitedog likes this.
  7. Satellitedog

Thanks B! I'm a pervert like that :-) right now the bevel religiously follows the curve of the pickguard, I think it's either shadow or the 5th black layer, a thin one on the bottom that you registered as overhang. There's even a very slight recess, but I do want it to slightly run under the pickguard, like on some Gibsons.

DrBGood likes this.
  8. PermissionToLand

Is that the original pickguard? If so, it may not be the right shape anyway. With all this work, it might be worth getting one made from a Gibson template.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

However, a revealed flat spot on the side of the pickguard is pretty normal for SGs.

Even that one SGluvr posted with the deepest bevels I've ever seen has a flat spot showing despite the pickguard actually hanging over the bevel at the top, which I've never seen.

[​IMG]

9. Satellitedog

Hey PermLand!

It's an aftermarket, MIJ 5 ply guard I bought shortly after the project started, to have the right placement and number of screws, it has semi-wide bevels (between Creamtone and Gibson '61 RI).

The horn/inner cutaway bevel is shaped to follow the pickguard's curve though, so if that differs between the different makes, I might have to have some adjustments made there too.

My problem is: I have no template for VOS or Creamtone guards to see if they are wider than the MIJ I have. I have a rough comparison chart that I made from online photos (correcting the lense distortions and using the screwholes and the lip of the pg-s for size adjustment) but accurate info would be most helpful.

As for the exposed flat surface on the outer rim of the pg, I'm okay with it mostly, but I'd like that line to disappear into, glide into the hornside tip of the pickguard like so:

because I want the meeting point of the inside<>outside bevels to be smoother than it is now. But first I'd love to see a mock-up of the wide bevel vintage style guard on there to see if this mod is even necessary.

10. Satellitedog

And on a self aware note, a short story by Ray Bradbury titled "The Man" just jumped into my pool of memories. It's from the collection 'The Illustrated Man', and I think it is fitting.

11. Satellitedog

Pickguard question solved, CreamTone provided a 1:1 template I can print.

12. Satellitedog

Okay... I printed the Creamtone, and a template for the MIJ Crazyparts, and there are slight differences present in sizing.

The CreamTone is wider towards the horn, and is slightly shorter, so the pickguard's curve corresponding to the lower cutaway's moon shaped bevel is placed about 2 mm-s deeper, and because the hornside tip is shorter than the Crazyparts guard, the curve is also more open, so it would require modification of the bevel. On the other hand, it might harmonize perfectly with the contour I re-drew in green in the above photo.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  13. Satellitedog

It took forever to finally be able to visit Tom (unpayed overtime for weeks once more), but the Creamtone does solve half of the problem, insofar as the outer slope does not need resanding with that one, and will make the cutaway curve nicer too, being shorter at the horn end.

If this one turns out right, we can finally get to the paintjob...

14. Satellitedog

Update:

The woodworking part of the Greco job, after a long game of fine tuning has come to its conclusion, and I'm satisfied with the outcome. It was a quiet moment of: "alright, I think I can't find fault with anything really..." which is a better feeling than it reads. It's like stepping onto solid ground after a flight.

I'll be test fitting the new nickel plated hardware and CTS pots and measure everything for the custom Creamtone pickguard I'll be ordering, before the actual refinish job starts. That's when I'll take new pics too. I did shoot some reference pics the last couple of times, but the phone camera resolution is way too low for anything but thumbnails, and the difference compared to the last set in the thread is minor, so I'll keep those out of here.

UPDATE 2: I bought a set of aged nickel, nickel-silver covers for the humbuckers, which have the ugly chrome ones, CTS 500 KOhm pots, 2 log, 2 lin, plus a stretch of silver braided 2 strand hook up wire (for the aesthetic alone)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  15. Satellitedog

16. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Well done my friend, crazy job !

:cheers:

17. Satellitedog

Thank you!
    I wish I could've done it myself, alas I am without a workshop and experience, so Tom deserves all the credit regarding the fine execution of the re-sculpt process. I will attempt to craft my own proper SG once I have the time and resources though. That goal is set.

18. Satellitedog

So tomorrow I'll visit the paint store for hopefully the last time, and make a decision among the dozens of green-blue hues.

19. sgluvr

sgluvr Member

The contours and bevels look great.

Satellitedog likes this.
  20. Satellitedog

Thanks Luvr! :-)