Greco SG standard refinish and re-shaping

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Satellitedog, Dec 5, 2016.

1. HackeIommi

HackeIommi Active Member

Seems flawless and perfect for me! I love the quality of Greco guitars. They are 100% kosher. I had an EG1000C. Never made me look for a Gibson LP but she was heavy. After buying my Iommi SG, sold my Greco just for the health of my back.

Satellitedog likes this.
  2. Satellitedog

Satellitedog Active Member

:-) Thank you, I have nits to pick, but given the original shape of the guitar, I'm pleased with the outcome of the re-sculpt. Hope to see the new finish in a couple of weeks, that's going to require way less back-and-forth consulting with Tom. I'm quite scared of choosing the "ONE RIGHT SHADE" of metallic blue-green though :-D

I asked him to prepare a paint test piece with about 2-3 options with varying degrees of yellow in the clearcoat above the metallic color, hope to post some pics of that too.

As for the weight, yeah, this one happens to be a heavy one too, but I've seen much lighter Greco SG-s as well. I'd still love to get a MIJ Greco SG at some point, some of those that got away were really cool.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    HackeIommi likes this.
  3. Satellitedog

Also, I warn anyone interested in Grecos, to make sure you know whether the one you have your telescope trained on is Japanese or Korean built.

4. Satellitedog

Yesterday I got to visit the paintstore during opening hours :-) (they close 2 hours before I leave the workplace) and man... these turqoise and metallic blue-greens are way too popular with car makers.
    There's at least 2-300 paintcards to go over, and at least 30 that may be considered a valid option. I narrowed it down to one card eventually, but will have to check the tonal values against darker and lighter extremes in both natural indoor light, indoor lamplight and outdoors in the sun...

Here's what I settled on, all the photos show the same Mobihel 13-10-060 paint card:

I'll have to double, triple check it against somewhat bluer shades in the similar tonal range.
    WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  5. Satellitedog

So... regarding the pickguard. I will be custom ordering a Creamtone half face one, that is fine tuned to follow the carves of my Greco. To do this, I managed to get hold of some self-adhesive transparent film sheet, and drew a grid of 5 mm squares on it, and the previous pickguard as a kickoff reference. I applied it on the guitar body and dotted in the correct shape, and used it to draft out the new curves compared to the known measurements of the Crazyparts one it will replace.

Here are some photos to illustrate:

I forgot to take pics after I used the first sheet while it was on the body so I attached another, without the grid pattern, and did a freehand approximation that turned out better than I thought it would :-D the more irregular outer lines are the contours of the body, and since the sheet lifted up on the sides, it is a bit wavy in the photo.
    I have no printer at home, and the non laser printer at work was offline, so I had to draw the grid with a ballpoint pen, since my usual brushpens and markers would wipe right off even after drying, and the only marker that stuck was the heavy one with the 1 mm tip. That's why the actual pickguard mod drawing with the measurements looks so messy... workable for me, but not pretty)
    The following image has the accurate outlines of the Crazyparts MIJ pickguard (black lines and sizing info) the CreamTone small guard based on the printable image provided by the company (the light blue filled shape), and my modified guard design in yellow that is fitted to the actual Greco contours and beveling, using the transparent sheet drawing and the other two as references. This will be test fitted too, and after corrections
    (if needed) sent to CreamTone as a custom order.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  6. HackeIommi

HackeIommi Active Member

The blue color you choose seems very good. Weirdly, the natural view of wood attracted me too. Seems like the guitar is already painted as it should be. I feel like an Iommi Old Boy style worn finish suits too.

I am curious about this custom PG. Seems like it will fit like glow.

Satellitedog likes this.
  7. Satellitedog

Yeah, I kinda like the natural colour too, but one of the three big pieces of wood that make up the body is much darker in tone than the other two (which match up really well visually), so I chose to go with an opaque/solid finish.

As for the Old Boy paintjob:
    1. I'm not familiar with Iommi's work, and generally I'm not much of a classic hard rock guy, it is a generational thing, I'm more of a Motown, Velvet Underground, Krautrock, postpunk guy, my fave guitarists are (among others) Michael Rother, Charlie Burchill, The Edge, Adrian Belew and Carlos Alomar with Bowie. I love Frusciante's solo work a lot too.
    2. Tom, the luthier is an advocate of modern finishes and technology, so he doesn't do relic/aged finishes. I wish he did, because mahogany showing through a pelham blue finish is a lovely sight... Maybe I should leave the neck natural... On the plus side I've heard from a number of luthiers that he's great with the spraygun, so I'll just roll with it.

8. HackeIommi

HackeIommi Active Member

Old Boy has that kinda finish:

[​IMG]

This is not the original Old Boy btw. One of the replicas. I think shows well what I mean. But anyway, if this is out of options lets skip it.

I also love pelham blue. Keep following the story :cheers:

Satellitedog likes this.
  9. Satellitedog

SG John and realcooldude like this.
  10. HackeIommi

HackeIommi Active Member

Oh! This color is hard to find in here. I'll follow your black Edwards adventure too then. Let me know when it begins please :)

Satellitedog likes this.
  11. Satellitedog

It will probably be next year only. I want a Krautrock guitar, a fast neck with industrial looks for the trip down my childhood autobahn memories, travelling at night back from foreign countries, seeing the blinking green glow of great cities at dusk... Feeling modernity, the future rise above the horizon, at peace.

HackeIommi likes this.