Greetings from Hell

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by Mephistopheles, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Mephistopheles

Mephistopheles New Member

Greetings, SG fans. In the context of this horned forum, I, Mephistopheles, will tell you of Hell.

Hell is looking back in time at myself, about to do a (forum guidelines prevent me from expressing this fully) transaction that resulted in no longer owning a Gibson SG, and not being able to stop myself.

This guitar was/is: a 1980's '62 reissue, red. A tone monster I fortunately do have some recordings of, somewhere. But the damage is long done.

I am custodian of a Rickenbacker 330, which is what happens when an SG and a surfboard have a baby, and the Rick is a hell of a tone machine itself.

But now, the Muses of Rage, Wizardy, and Rock seem to require me to get another SG. That is why I now post among you.

2. Westernrider

Westernrider Active Member

hell-michigan-620x412.jpg

Welcome.
    You are a good man and have come to your senses. You realize that owning an SG is more than a passing fad. A Strat, a Tele, a Country Gentleman, yes they are great guitars. How would some of the great Beatle songs, like Eight Days a Week, sounded without that distinctive Rick sound. However, the path is straight and narrow.
    Yes, you now admit that the SG is the instrument to be cherished and played.
    And for those that resist or refuse, there is a place for these lost souls.

syscokid and Mephistopheles like this.
  3. drown

drown Active Member

Well you own what I am looking to buy next. A rick 330. Now to find one that's priced decently....that's hellish.

Mephistopheles likes this.
  4. Mephistopheles

I am the Rickenbacker's custodian. A best friend of mine had become debilitated with illness before his death, and had me take the guitar in those last years of his life. It will always be Rob's guitar, and his daughter knows that any time she wants the instrument, it goes to her, no question.

Although many people prefer the clean, chiming sound of a Rick, I also highly recommend it for its overdriven tone.

One main reason I want to get an SG again, is I don't like taking the Rick out for gigs. I am leaning towards the Epiphone SG's, at present.

5. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Then try to find a 2002/2005 Vintage G400. It's basically a Standard Gibson SG in an Epiphone headstock disguise. A few float out there from time to time.

Alnico V Classic pups
    Neck binding
    Full fledge mahogany body, no veneer on this one
    2002 are Korean
    2003/04 have a one piece neck and are Chinese
    2005 has scarf joint / Chinese

I have a 2004 and will never let it go.

Look'em up.

Mephistopheles likes this.
  6. Mephistopheles

I have looked these up and see they are still made, my question to you is if you don't mind, is there something particular about the pickups in the years 2002-2005? Because Alnico V seems to be fairly standard on G400 Epi SG's. Why do you specify those years? Thanks.

7. Scootermuppet

Scootermuppet Well-Known Member

Welcome Mephistopheles, I just happen to have one of the aforementioned SG vintages in the Classifieds!

The ones being made currently are Worn SG'S, the Vintage models were only made a while back, as DrB said (although my 2003 appears to have been made in Korea...:hmm:)

The pickups are USA designed Epiphone humbuckers, and I also have A 2005 model, and they sound great in that one.

Feel free to take a look, and hope you enjoy the forum and find an Epi SG - they are pretty awesome guitars!

Cheers,

Bob

DrBGood likes this.
  8. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

The worn SG they now call vintage, is not the same guitar as the one I mentioned. Pups, as Scoot said, were made in the States and are Classic and Classic +, maybe ... maybe the same as the Gibson of the time.
    They might have moved to China in 2003, hence the 2 provenances.