Greetings from the Netherlands!

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by InlineSix, Aug 11, 2017.

1. InlineSix

InlineSix New Member

Hello everyone,

I'm Erik and since earlier this year I'm the proud owner of a 2015 Gibson SG Standard. I bought it new but it wasn't without it's faults unfortunately. It had the brass zero fret nut which already had some grooves in it so the strings would bind and it wouldn't stay in tune. Fortunately Gibson was so kind as to replace this with the improved titanium version for free so that's sorted for now.

I really liked the way the guitar sounded an played, it was a revelation compared to the cheap Squier Statocaster I had been playing for the last couple of years. One thing I couldn't get used to though was the G-Force robot tuners so I replaced those with some TonePros Kluson tuners. They look much better and suddenly the guitar doesn't suffer from neck-dive anymore, it's perfectly balanced now!

Something I rarely used was the coil split function and I didn't really like the feel of the volume pots, they had a lot of play in them so I decided to change the wiring of the guitar to 50's style with CTS 500K pots and orange drop caps.

At this point I was having almost as much fun modifying the guitar as I was playing it so I thought why not modify it some more? :p Which is why I changed the pickups last week to David Allen's Powerage pickups. Anyway, here are a few pictures of the guitar:

[​IMG]
    The cat likes it :)

[​IMG]
    With a Champ 5F1 amp I built.

[​IMG]
    The new tuners.

[​IMG]
    50's wiring & new pickups installed.

Didds and SG standard like this.
  2. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum! :thumb:
    Hope you enjoy your stay here!

If you look around, you'll find that there are a few 2015 owners on here who are quite happy with their guitars. Myself, my good friend Didds, sheehanje, drown, and former 2015 owner Scootermuppet.

You have some mighty fine mods on that red Standard! I personally like the 57s and the push-pulls, so the wiring on mine is stock. Didn't have tuning problems when my nut wore out though, mostly buzzing. If you play a lot, you'll go through the titanium one in about a year and need to get a second replacement like I did :wow:

The replacement tuners are a common mod. Those robots are good until they break down and stop tuning correctly. I had mine on for probably 2 years until I finally replaced them in April this year, right before the 2 year anniversary of me getting the guitar. Got hipshot griplocks so I can revert to stock at anytime. :thumb:
    [​IMG]

I also put a bigsby on mine because I quite like having the option to use a vibrato. Mine and Didds are in the Fireburst finish, and sheehanje looks quite similar to yours :D
    [​IMG]

Didds likes this.
  3. InlineSix

InlineSix New Member

Thanks for the warm welcome Logan! Your guitar looks great with that Bigsby.

I did keep all the original parts so I can turn it back to stock if I want to. The extra holes I had to drill for these tuners will be covered up by the original robot tuners if I'd replace those so I'm not too worried about that...

4. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard! I also have a cat that wants to inspect every new guitar as soon as the case opens... :)

2015 seems to have been a good year for build quality, despite all the negative feedback the updates got. I did own a couple (though not SGs), and they were fine. Glad to see you're enjoying yours & doing what you want with it...
    :cheers:

InlineSix and Didds like this.
  5. kiko

kiko Active Member

Welcome! Nice guitar and cat! :cheers:

6. drown

drown Active Member

Nice mods and congrats. I agree 2015 is a good vintage. I have a 2015 LP DC that I really like playing. I just picked up the same hipshot tuners Logan has and will be replacing my robot tuner when I get back to China at the end of the month. I cant wait.

InlineSix and Didds like this.
  7. Didds

Didds Active Member

Welcome to ETSG!

Man what a stunning axe, one of the greatest years for SGs and, as mentioned before, build quality.

Enjoy your guitar and stick around on this site. There's a lot of very intelligent people to answer any questions :thumb:

8. InlineSix

InlineSix New Member

Cheers everyone!

When you read on the internet about 2015 Gibsons you come across a lot of people bashing them but I'm quite happy with the overall build quality actually. Apart from the brass zero-fret nut that is... It's nice to see so many owners here with the same positive experience! :thumb: