Gretta Van Fleet

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Dallastx, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Dallastx

Dallastx Member

Jake Kiszka gets some great Page sounds out of his S Gs. Nice to see more younger guitarists using the S G as the weapon of choice.

2. cvansickle

cvansickle New Member

I really like GVF. I especially like that this is a real band, not some producer's autotuned wet dream, making this kind of music. This is the kind of music that can save rock n' roll - we need more young bands that will make it cool again for young kids to play instruments and make great music together.

3. Bonzo21

Bonzo21 Active Member

Yeah I really like it. I've heard lots of negative sh*t about them, but I think it's unfair. Yeah it sounds like Zeppelin, but why is that a bad thing?? I love Zeppelin!

Though I do feel like Jake is sometimes in over his head in terms of leads, he is pumping out some great riffs. And touring is the best practice, he will become a great guitar player. (Disclaimer: only my opinion)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    juliang, 58pit, Didds and 1 other person like this.
  4. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

I think I first heard about them here, so I checked them out (gotta love Spotify) and liked what I heard.

Sure they sound a bit like Zeppelin, but so do lots of bands. Hard to do that sort of music without borrowing things from those great bands of the past.

For those of you that might not have seen this,

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/26960-rig-rundown-greta-van-fleet

Didds likes this.
  5. gball

gball Well-Known Member

I like to see young bands carry on the rock tradition as much as the next guy, but this particular band does nothing for me. It's not just that the music seems so derivative, it's that I just really can't get into them, and there are so many other young bands playing music that sounds more original that they come across to me almost as pastiche.

6. 67King

67King Member

They're kind of like the Black Crowes, only not nearly as talented. What I mean by that is that the same criticisms were made of the Crowes nearly 30 years ago. They were just a straight up Rock n Roll band, they weren't into the trendy fads. ALthough, I would certainly contend that depsite the similarities to the Stones and Faces, they had a TON of originality. No, they never had the fame of Nirvana, but they certainly have had longevity (except that nasty sibling rivaly thing that killed them). But GVF is not too dissimilar. Give them time, the Black Crowes' first album was pretty simple compared to the rest of their stuff. Maybe the same will happen to GVF. I'm just personally happy there's a band of young kids out there who like plain, straight up Rock n Roll with the subgenres and labels.

rotorhead likes this.
  7. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Could be. I had no interest in the Crowe's first album either, but Southern Harmony is one of the very best records of the 1990's.

TwangSF likes this.
  8. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Hmmm im thinking about buying album sounds a little over produced and vocals range from good to weirdly off tune guitar and rythym section sound pretty tight!

9. Paully

Paully Active Member

I dig GVF

10. UTGrad

UTGrad Member

I’m a fan of Greta Van Fleet. Maybe teenagers will start learning to play guitar again.

67King and Bonzo21 like this.
  11. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

They're playing today in Jacksonville as part of the weekend Rockville festival. I have to work though :(

12. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

Jake Kiszka is also on the cover of the current issue of Guitar Player magazine. That's some good exposure...

Dbk_JkWW4AIj9lb.jpg

13. Cam.man67

Cam.man67 Member

I dig 'em. Got turned onto them a few months back, and I'm impressed. Jake has great tone, and I think a lot of his riffs are pretty tasteful. They actually got me back into playing my SG after I'd let it sit for almost a year!

14. Roca

Roca Active Member

Can't even see what guitar he is playing.

15. Worblehat

Worblehat Well-Known Member

What if I tell you that I am not a fan of Led Zeppelin. Never got into it. But I just listened to Greta Van Fleet's "From the Fires" EP three times in a row and I like it a lot! I love that guitar tone.

To me its a big plus that they do not sound like they were recorded 50 years ago. Maybe thats what GrumpyOldDBA described as "overproduced"...

16. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

Looks like an SG, capo on the third fret, and he's on the Treble pickup... ha ha!

Roca likes this.
  17. Roca

Roca Active Member

But I want to see the beautiful curves!

18. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

I bought the album i like it guitar and rhythm section work well together. Singing i am not crazy about ...

19. 67King

67King Member

I'm just happy there are a few kids out there who want to play Rock n Roll. A younger acquaintance of mine is in a band that is getting back together that is kind of the same way, but more Black Crowes and Rolling Stones sounding. Dirty Guvnahs. Guys are in mid 30's by now, but were playing 10 years ago. Anyway, I went through a Zep phase when I was 14, lasted a few years, but by college, I had moved on. What made it so powerful to me was that pulled me out of the stuff that was popular at the time, rap and the big hair bands. And kept me from getting into the grunge stuff when I got to high school (just never was my thing, I'm sure some folks here dig it). Instead, I got more into more blues stuff, and blues based stuff, which has evolved into jam bands and some of their blues and jazz influences. I still think that all started when my next door neighbor lent me Led Zeppelin IV.

juliang, Worblehat and rotorhead like this.
  20. Dallastx

Dallastx Member

He plays a few SGs.