growth/evolution as a guitarist

Discussion in 'Lessons & Techniques' started by AngusMadeMeDoIt, Jan 5, 2015.

1. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I'm in favor of maximizing both soul and chops. Whatever you can do to play better and have something to say when playing helps.

Obviously as a music teacher and "weird rock guitar player with classical music degree" technique and theory are things I love.

But, like many of you I've heard all sorts of music that requires great skill to play that leaves me emotionally empty. A good example is a lot of 20th century "classical" music - which takes a ton of technique and often sounds like sheer noise.

Much modern jazz is like that too, as is a lot of shredder guitar music.

Whenever the technique becomes the end in itself, rather than a means to an emotional or artistic end, then the music suffers.

Metal89, Kerry Brown and Bullfrog like this.
  2. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

3. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Well I am late to this party!

To answer the original question. Can't speak for 10 years ago---only owned an Epi Lester Special then---played an hour or two a month at best--was growing kids--careers- etc.
    In the last 25-30 years I have gotten slower (not a bad thing)
    Like Leadfinger I am more concerned with tune also tone, and clarity.
    Now I would rather play 1 song well than 15 half arsed---though half arsed with flair got lottsa girls, grass and a$$ back in "the day" lol
    I appreciate many many other forms and styles of music more now.
    AND I appreciate the instruments themselves more now.
    I know ---as a "flipper" it may not seem that I appreciate the instruments--but believe me I do. ;)

TBTH I sucked then, and I suck now--but I appreciate the time spent playing more and more, as I know one day I will not be able to do so.

So, does that answer your question young man? Play often and ENJOY :)

Gahr, lineboat, JohnnyGoo and 3 others like this.
  4. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Vinlander..... I have played the eclectic guitar for sometime..... :laugh2:

And dbb we may be missing one additional factor. That illusive spark that happens which actually transcends the heart N soul/ technique debate. My partner in our acoustic thing and lead in my electric thing is also a teacher (guitar) and degreed in music from IPFW. He is about a semester away from his masters at IUSB. He is very well versed in classical playing but he can play a classical piece beautifully, put the classical guitar down and pick up his Ibenez Jem and play SRV, EVH, KWS or Steve Vai as well as anyone I have heard and with a spirit like you've never heard. He loves the classical but you can tell where his heart is.

The other interesting point is that there is really no reason why we should be playing together with such a range in age, background in music likes, certainly the musical educational backgrounds differences and a host of other reasons that are sure fire for not playing together... but back to that spirit" thing I mentioned, there is just something that happens when he and I play our music regardless of what age, type or era we do. As I said, that spirit is the illusive thing we all look for but come up short many times.

5. AngusMadeMeDoIt

AngusMadeMeDoIt Well-Known Member

I like to jam with people of all ages. You can learn something from everyone.

dcwave likes this.
  6. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Although I didn't express it, what you are talking about is close to my heart, as I have had similar experiences, playing with a wide variety of musicians, and seeing the "spirit" or whatever you call it.

That spirit is what we look for whenever we play music.

Biddlin and Six String like this.
  7. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

My biggest difference is that I now play with guitars that have longer necks and thicker strings. I feel a bit of an imposter here now as I barely play my guitars :( I found my spirit, and it belongs to the bass.

Interestingly, I find the bass easier to play physically than the guitar! Strumming/picking and tiny strings are hard on me, and this is from someone who used 9.5-44. Now I use 45-100!

Kerry Brown, Metal89 and dbb like this.
  8. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Bass is indeed a different beast! I'm happy you like playing bass - maybe it is your calling.

9. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Well-Known Member

I bought a cheap Squier bass and with a small Fender amp about a month ago. I'm not sure where it will take me. My hope is that it will help my sense of timing. If the bass player can't keep time its almost as bad as a drummer that can't keep time :) I'm also hoping it will help with my ear training. I have a hard time hearing intervals when listening to guitar solos. It seems easier to listen to a bass line and copy it. That could just be my hearing though. I've had an audiologist tell me I need hearing aids for the upper frequencies. It gets progressively worse beyond 4k. I worked around diesel equipment with no hearing protection for many years. If nothing else it's fun to play something different once in a while.

eS.G. likes this.
  10. lineboat

lineboat Well-Known Member

I started playing a little in school, and never had any guitar lessons. I just did my best to try to put a few things together and make it work. Then I had a kid and responsibilities while I was still in high school. My priorities were elsewhere.

I decided to try again a few years ago, and still haven't taken lessons, practiced regularly or taken the correct path of learning. I've read what I could, picked up some pointers here and there, and slowly made enough progress to play in public. I'll get the occasional glance over the shoulder on stuff, and at the end of a song somebody will say "WTF was that?! It was cool, but it threw me off!" or " That worked, but I didn't expect it".

Anyway, I think if you play, even if it's just a little, you'll get better and better. Some of us just take longer than others.
    And here's a tip of my hat to power chords! They bail me out on a regular basis! ;-)

11. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

I might also ad that as long as your playing is enjoyable, is a pleasurable distraction from the daily "grind" and your enjoying it .....that's all that really matters. Bass, guitar, drums mandolin ...flute.....whatever, just play make noise....make a joyous noise, and have FUN!

lineboat likes this.
  12. lineboat

lineboat Well-Known Member

I gotta agree with that Adrian. When it's fun, it's a quality of life improvement. And that's all that matters.

eS.G. likes this.
  13. Tom Schuster

Tom Schuster Well-Known Member

Im just starting back after putting down the guitar for almost 10 years...i find now its a lot easier for me to just listen to something and figure out what there doing.......as to if I can do it somewhat like them ...well thats going to take a bit more time getting back into playing a lot.....I like to try and play everything from Sabbath and SRV to Rory Gallagher and Lynyrd Skynyrd.....and Skynyrd can sometimes be damned hard to figure out sometimes because normally they had 3 guitar players and on somesongs they all switch around playing leads and rythms and since I cant read music i have to sometimes go to you tube and hope to find some clarification lol.. But the most important thing is im having a blast playing around on the guitar again and at 57 its gotten a bit harder to finding something that makes me feel like a kid again.....

lineboat likes this.
  14. Lithsp

Lithsp Member

This thread might be a little old, but **** it.

10 years ago I was a few months away from getting my first electric guitar. I got my first one on my 18th birthday - a shitty Ashton Strat-knock off.. and I'm 27 now.

So I am infinitely better now than I was 10 years ago. :)

That said, I feel I've actually improved loads in the last year or so - I've ditched learning from tabs and just going by ear now, and I'm learning so much more and at a much faster pace. It's just easier for me. I also find it easier to work it out purely by ear and not use youtube or anything like that for tutorials or guidance of any kind.

WAY easier going by ear. Ditch the tabs. Ditch the videos. Make some progress.

15. Zengine

Zengine New Member

Heart and soul. Without that it's all just scales. I mean, imagine delivering an otherwise excellent speech as if you don't mean what you say.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  16. mw13068

mw13068 New Member

The biggest difference in my playing a decade ago and now is that 10 years ago, I was afraid to play or sing for anyone. Starting when I turned 40, I decided to get out of the house and join a band. At present, I've done about 12 shows with my band in the past six months, and I've got six or seven shows coming up.

Also, I've learned that to be in a working band, I don't have to be a great guitar player. I just have to be OK at it, have a reliable car and gear, and show up on time. :)

17. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

... and know how to work the music out with the others! :thumb:

(First most important rule I learned was to all play the same song.......)