Guitar Kits for SGs

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Chenosaurus, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Chenosaurus

Chenosaurus Member

Hey everyone, i am soon going to undertake my first guitar build (buying a body & neck rather than cut a fresh one myself, not brave or skilled enough for that) i was wondering if anyone had any good advice for guitar kits for an SG? it seems real hard to find a UK supplier.

currently i found this one (below) has anyone had any experience with this site or any advice on how the quality of the fret board/joints will be?

https://guitarkitworld.com/products/sg-guitar-kit

Also one more thing, i really wanted to paint it with a nice "pumpkin" orange colour. The range of orange guitar paint doesnt seem so broad.. any advice on paint brands or colours?

2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    Can't help with kits, but provided you use a coat of primer, any car paint - rattle can or otherwise - will do very nicely. A world of colours is your oyster

3. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Orange? Really truly orange?

Dont take it to ireland ...

4. Silvertone

Silvertone Member

Seeing this is the Luthier's Corner section I would like to say that cheap chinese kits are crap. I did say "I would like to say". For the money they can't really be beat but realize it's a bit of a crap shoot as far as what you will get. The wood will definitely be not that great and the fit and finish may be OK at best to almost unusable at worst.

If that is your price range, you have few options. If you want a decent guitar kit you could make it yourself of put out a call to some of the people on this forum. Decent wood will probably cost US$150. I'd be able to do a kit like that for around US$450. I think that would probably rival the higher end kits like Precision Guitars.

Cheers Peter.

5. Chenosaurus

Chenosaurus Member

After some long drawn out searches, i think you are right Silvertone. I dont expect insane quality, but i should aim for something thats not only playable but impressive aswell.

i thinking reaching out and getting someone to cut a blank sounds like my best bet!

Anyone here whos a professional Luthier from the UK?... :D