HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY BABY!

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by 58pit, Mar 12, 2019.

1. 58pit

58pit Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    "Fireball" was born on this day in 1985. I bought her brand new. Had the Pro Khaler added, and the Duncan SH8 Invader in the bridge (thats what we did in 85, LOL) Original Tim Shaw in the bridge. The other Shaw is safely tucked away in her case. This guitar THROWS FLAME to this day! Its set up in IMPECCABLE, I tune it like twice a year, and it doesn't take much at that. THE FINEST guitar I have ever played, and I've played hundreds! No amount of money could take this from me, it goes to the grave.

2. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Too true - I put an Invader in my Guild c.1980. Stayed there till last year, when it got a new pick up and refret as a 40th birthday present. :)

Lovely SG - with the jack in the right place! Why did they ever move it back to the front?

Worblehat and Robus like this.
  3. 58pit

58pit Well-Known Member

Beats me bro, they should ALL be there IMO

4. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

Sweet one, 58pit. 2 years older than my 3 knob '87 with Bill Lawrences in it.

58pit likes this.
  5. 58pit

58pit Well-Known Member

Thank you chilli bro, we were lucky to have that era, IMO.

chilipeppermaniac likes this.
  6. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Fireball! Its freaking gorgeous!

Tune it twice a year? What does that mean exactly shoot i change strings at least every six weeks for the guitar i am playing the most?

Daniel.S and Col Mustard like this.
  7. Neil from Ottawa Canada

Neil from Ottawa Canada New Member

I've read that when Dimarzio started making pickups for Fenders and Gibsons, many players swapped out pickups. Especially, if I remember right, when the super distortion pickup came out.

8. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Do you have more pictures ?

Nice SG Kahler

58pit likes this.
  9. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

I am lucky, sort of. ALL My pickups, including my NOW removed stock EPI humbuckers that were in my EPI LP STD, it's current 1979 T Tops, ALL my SG's 490's, P90's, Tar Backs, and Bill Lawrences, and even my AM STD Strat and Squier Tele Pups are capable of sounding way better than I am at playing them. Hence there is no need for a pup swap for my skill level.

I will say I heard it was pretty customary for folks to pull out the Lawrence Circuit Board pups and even Tarbacks in favor of Duncan's etc. I am just super glad my 87 has the ORIGINAL Lawrences, and the 76 SG STD that had EMG's in it when I bought it last year also had the original pots, swtich, jack plus the tarbacks in a box. I returned the guitar to stock and truly love the Tarbacks ( I think they also were sometimes referred to as Super Humbuckers)

cerebral gasket and arcticsg like this.
  10. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

At some point you have to jump off the upgrade treadmill and just play.

I am guilty of changing pickups in the past and now leave them stock unless it's a P-90 in the bridge position, which then gets swapped for a zero-hum P-90. Not a fan of noise gates and prefer to eliminate hum from the source. I see no reason to tolerate hum from single coils or P-90's in 2019 with all the options available today.

SG standard likes this.