Happy birthday to my one and only SG

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by the jaywalker, Aug 18, 2019.

1. the jaywalker

the jaywalker New Member

Hi all...new guy here.
    I used the serial number decoder yesterday and was surprised to see that my SG was "birthed" today Aug. 17 in 2011 making it 8 years old. It was a limited edition for Sam Ash and was available in either Bullion Gold w/ gold hardware or Pelham Blue w/ chrome hdwr. This one was hanging around a year or two and was the gold version. 50's rounded neck which I like. Next string change I will verify the pups. I saw a discrepancy in some literature re: both 490's or 490/498 (going from memory here). It needed strings when it arrived so I tried a set of GHS boomers ala David Gilmore 10-48. The most amazing overtones or zingers would come from outta nowhere from above! I don't know if it's the strings or not. I will try regular boomers or EB's next time.
    Ok here's the disclosure: I have no current host since Photo Bucket and am transitioning to a new laptop so...it didn't happen, at least 'till I get squared away and provide a pic. It's a flashy sweet thing!

DanB, Dale and arcticsg like this.
  2. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Yes, pics please... sounds like a beauty! :smile:

Oh, and I'm betting 490R/498T ;)

3. poppunk

poppunk Member

If the pickups haven't been changed it's a 498T/490R set. Before Gibson changed their website, they had a page up for this specific run; they had the correct specs on it but they have since removed it with the website rebuild and I can't find a cached version.

I also have a 2011 from the same Sam Ash run; I got mine used last year (Pelham Blue version) and had been trying to find one for the better part of two years. Trying to find a Standard that is Pelham Blue, full pickguard, with a hefty neck profile? Not easy. And I paid $1,100 for it from Music Go Round, which is a bit more than the $800-$900 Standards tend go for in normal finishes, but I have zero regrets about that.

I pulled the 498T from mine in favor for a 490T because I need to use a fuzz pedal for one of my bands and the higher output of the 498 makes it sound terrible (I also have a Special which has been my main guitar for much of the last 17 years that has a 490T in it and like it). That was quite the adventure in itself; I got a used quick connect 490T, not realizing the quick connect system in my SG is two pin an the newer ones are five pin. So then I had to build an adapter to get the five pin down to the two pin when I thought it was going to be a ten minute job to change out.

At this point my two most used guitars in my two bands are this 2011 SG and the 2018 EBMM Stingray I got about a month ago (cheap, thanks to all those who drive down prices of guitars with neck pocket finish cracks by avoiding them).

4. DanB

DanB Active Member

Happy Birthday!

5. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday hope its 8 dog years old from lots of hard living!

6. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Happy birthday, the jaywalker's guitar!

It needs a present. I suggest getting it another SG as a companion.

volktar and arcticsg like this.
  7. Dale

Dale Well-Known Member

Happy B-Day! It needs a special set of new strings, case, nut, something! You don't want it to feel unappreciated. :ohno: It would be worse than a souse feeling unappreciated! :naughty:

8. DaveSG

DaveSG New Member

Beware the man that only has one SG - he probably knows how to use it.